“Nice Hotel”
Review of Menger Hotel

Menger Hotel
Ranked #24 of 358 Hotels in San Antonio
Reviewed July 10, 2014

We stayed here for 3 nice and it was a nice little R&R while working the pool was nice but the jaquzzi SUCKED!!! I've seen bigger one's at the gym, plus none of the jets in it worked. It was a big disappointment. Plus the guy who came and kicked us out right at 9:00pm on the dot. He had no personality what so ever....

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled on business
hectorvenegas, General Manager at Menger Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded July 15, 2014

I truly appreciate you taking the time to share your experiences with Trip Advisor. Please accept my sincerest apologies for the discomfort you experienced during your visit.

I have shared your comments with the ladies and gentlemen of our staff as we are striving to improve our services.

We look forward to your return when your travels bring you back to San Antonio and the Historic Menger Hotel.

There are newer reviews for Menger Hotel

Reviewed July 9, 2014

We recently stayed at the Menger on a family trip to San Antonio. The hotel was very nicely kept and showed its classic beauty. Hotel staff was very nice and accommodating. The hotel is across the street from the Alamo, and short walk to Riverwalk. We had a great trip and would definitely stay again.

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank Tab L
hectorvenegas, General Manager at Menger Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded July 10, 2014

It is always a pleasure when a guest takes the time to share their delightful experiences with Trip Advisor.

Your comments have been shared with the ladies and gentlemen of our staff as reinforcement of our commitment toward exemplary guest satisfaction.

We hope to have the opportunity to personally meet when your travels bring you back to the Historic Menger Hotel.

Reviewed July 8, 2014

We chose to stay at the Menger Hotel because we were planning a trip to San Antonio and heard that this hotel was haunted.
While we didn't come across any ghosts during our stay (though not for lack of trying!) we were impressed by the haunting, historic beauty of the place.

• Stayed: July 2014, traveled as a couple
hectorvenegas, General Manager at Menger Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded July 9, 2014

We are very pleased that the ladies and gentlemen exceeded your expectations and you have a delightful stay. It is our goal to have every guest leave with fond memories.

We look forward to your return to the Historic Menger Hotel when your travels bring you back to San Antonio.

I

Reviewed July 7, 2014

My husband and I booked this hotel for a long July 4th weekend. I am flabbergasted by the harsh criticism of some reviewers. Knowing that it is a historic hotel, we had appropriate and realistic expectations regarding the condition of the hotel. The hotel was beautiful with a rich history preserved well by the furniture, display cases, paintings, ,and photographs throughout. We were able to upgrade our king room to a suite the day we checked in, and the room was clean and large. My feeling is, you get what you pay for. If you opt for the bargain-priced rooms, don't expect a large room with a large bathroom in a 150-year old hotel.

The service was impeccable, from the valet service to the front desk. We dined in the Colonial Restaurant late one night. The food was good and the ambiance was lovely. Fernando Santa Fe, a talented classical music guitarist, played the most beautiful music and created such a romantic atmosphere. His music truly made the dining experience memorable, and he was so very friendly. I hope the hotel management is aware of how much he truly contributes to the lovely atmosphere in the restaurant!!

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a balcony overlooking the Alamo for a beautiful nighttime view. The extra fee f...
  • Stayed: July 2014, traveled as a couple

I truly appreciate you taking the time to share your delightful experience with Trip Advisor. It is always a pleasure when a guest recognizes our efforts toward historical preservation and our efforts toward exemplary guest satisfaction.

Your comments have been shared with the ladies and gentlemen of our staff.

We look forward to your return.

Reviewed July 7, 2014

I was thrilled to be staying at the Menger Hotel due to its historic significance. Upon arriving, I found out there was NO free parking and you had to pay for Valet, which is $30/night. The next morning we ordered room service, with all of the additional fees and charges a $19 charge ended up being $32. We checked out and I was glancing over the credit card holds and noticed a $250 charge which was referenced as a "cleaning fee". I was accused of smoking in my room although I am a severe asthmatic currently dealing with bronchitis. I've never smoked a day in my life, nor has my husband due to the fact that it is such a dangerous activity being asthmatic. Unfortunately even the historic era, and the nicest hotel security guard cannot move me to ever stay again.

5  Thank Jaurdin S

We truly appreciate you taking the time to share your experience with Trip Advisor. Please accept my sincerest apologies that your expectations were not met.

We have shared your comments with the ladies and gentlemen of our staff as we are striving to improve our services. We invite you to personally contact our Accounting Department to provide them the opportunity to review your charges.

We look forward to your return when your travels bring you back to the Historic Menger Hotel.

Reviewed July 2, 2014

Convenient location to Alamo, trolley and tour bus stop, Riverwalk. Very nice courtyard and pool. Breakfast buffet looked wonderful, but we ordered from the menu so as not to eat too much! It was very good, and waitress very friendly. More than I can say for the older gentleman who checked us in. He was neither friendly nor helpful. Otherwise, great stay. Comfortable bed. Great a/c. Rooms small, but we would stay again.

Room Tip: Rooms on older historic side were smaller, but had great high ceilings. With step up to bathroom.
  • Stayed: July 2014, traveled with friends
1  Thank RonPatTravels
hectorvenegas, General Manager at Menger Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded July 3, 2014

When a guest takes the time to share their experience with Trip Advisor, it is truly appreciated.
We are pleased that you had a delightful stay.

The ladies and gentlemen of our staff will be pleased that their efforts toward exemplary guest satisfaction were recognized.

We look forward to your return when your travels bring you back to the Historic Menger Hotel and the Colonial Dining Room.

Reviewed July 2, 2014 via mobile

Great central spot, next to the Alamo and central S.A. Excellent history and a neat bar. We got a two night special at 119 a night that put us in a room with 2 twin beds (I swore I reserved queens) with a view of a wall and I dont mean a wall across the street, a wall about six feet from our window. Room was due a makeover, probably going on 10 to 15 years since its last but it was clean. Also, and I'm not complaining but parking is 28 a night (pretty standard downtown). If I had to do it over I probably would have paid a little more and stayed at another downtown hotel.

Stayed: June 2014, traveled with family
2  Thank BadKarma65

We would like to thank you for taking the time to share your experience with Trip Advisor.
Please accept my sincerest apologies that your expectations were not met. As a historic hotel, we have a variety of rooms and sizes, we regret that we were not able to provide you with a different room..