“Rich in History, and again, a Fave”
Review of Menger Hotel

Menger Hotel
Ranked #23 of 358 Hotels in San Antonio
San Antonio, TX
Reviewed May 17, 2004

The Menger Hotel has always been one of my favorite hotels. My husband and I married this last weekend and chose the Menger as our "honeymoon suite" hotel, and were so very pleased with it. I have stayed there prior, and visit regularly, and living here in San Antonio, I must say it is at the top of my list. If you are looking for all out luxury and pampering, this isn't the hotel for you. If you like the cliche hotels, something common and ordinary, again, not for you. But if you are bored with all that, and wish to indulge yourself into the history of one of the most facinating cities in the US, you should thoroughly enjoy this one. The first time I stayed we had a fairly luxurious room, though small, and it did have a jacuzzi bath tub, and beautiful veiws of the alamo. This time our room was huge, extremely unique, and the VERY oversized and beautiful windows looked out upon the beautiful courtyard and pool. Again, this is not a fru fru hotel. It's history is rich, and this hotel preserves and celebrates it, rather than catering to the modern styles. Honestly, I am disappointed at the remodeling that has taken place, as I enjoy keeping it as true to its history as possible. Each room is different and unique, making this one to come back to time and time again. You just can't get enough, and you will definately not be bored. When my husband and I arrived, we were still in wedding attire, and checked in at midnight that night. The clerk immediately upgraded us at no addtional cost to a larger suite than we had booked, and one that looked out at the pool. I was very impressed. The only downfall to this was that we had arranged to have champagne waiting in our room, and with the upgrade we did not receive our champagne. I'm sure had we called down for it, we would have gotten it, but we were exhausted, and let it slide. I do wish that more of the staff was more educated in the history of the hotel and city, as some seemed lacking in knowledge, which could turn some people away. However, this hotel remains one of my favorites, and will always be my little get away not far from home.

5  Thank A TripAdvisor Member

Kalamazoo, Mi
Reviewed May 13, 2004

We were thrilled with this hotel! Yes the rooms are small and no coffee in the rooms but the history and beauty made up for it. Our room overlooked the Alamo and after 7pm the horse and carriages arrived, which we took one evening with a wonderful guide. The front desk staff were extremely polite, since we had a late flight on the day of checkout we asked for an extended stay and were able to leave at 1:30p instead of the normal 12p. We needed extra pillows after our first night and they were delivered while we were out when they cleaned the room. The breakfast buffet was excellent, fresh made waffles and omelets. The location was ideal, 1 block from the riverwalk and in the heart of downtown. We were there for our sons graduation from Lackland and the drive there was very convenient. The pool area and courtyard were stunning, and the bar was very inviting. Check out SaSave for a great price. There is no actual parking for the hotel, however they do offer a valet service for 17.00 a day which we found to be very convenient no waiting for a spot and your car ready when you call ahead can't get much easier than that. The trolleys run late so we didn't even have to drive anywhere except the the air base. Would definitely stay again if we ever return!

Reviewed April 18, 2004

I just returned for a four night stay at the Menger (April 11 -15, 2004). Overall, I have to give the hotel an average rating. However, I will say that the rating would go up or down depending on the price one pays. I attended a conference and paid $80 a night; other people not attending the conference were paying up to $150 for the same type of room. I would not have been happy at the Menger paying a $150 a night!

The best thing about this hotel is its location. It is right next door to the Alamo and the Riverwalk Mall and two blocks from HemisFair Park.
Beware, however, that parking is expensive in the downtown area. The hotel itself charges $17 a day. The cheapest place is to park in the Mall parking, its $8/24 hours.

My room was in excellent condition and had a balcony overlooking Alamo Plaza. That was great! It was #2068 and I recommend the room for that location. One thing I give the Menger credit for is that they did not put me in a poor location simply because I was paying the conference rate. The room itself, however, was rather small. About the size of a Motel 6, if you have ever stayed in one of those.

My biggest complaint about the hotel was the total lack of service. For example, there was supposed to be a broadband internet connection in my room. It didn’t work. Instead of fixing the connection, I was directed to “use dial-up”. The “Director of Public Relations” was lame. He wasn’t even around much and when you did find him he didn’t know much about anything off of the tourist track. In fact, he didn’t even know about Sushi Zushi; a great place to go if you like sushi.

Overall, since my employer picked up the tab and it was $80 a night, I can’t complain. However, if I had been paying $150 a night out of my own pocket I would have left and found another place. The Menger is a good hotel, overall. The management just needs to learn a thing or two about creating a positive “guest experience”.

• Stayed: April 2004, traveled on business
4  Thank NorthernNMCritic
Wyoming
Reviewed March 29, 2004

We had reservations for months to stay at The Menger from 3/24-28 while attending a conference in San Antonio. When I got there the evening of 3/24, the desk clerk informed me that they'd overbooked the hotel and that they'd shuttle me to the Red Roof Inn for two nights, which was on the other side of the highway and thus far from the conference activities, because "it's the only place we could find with available rooms." The shuttle driver, who took me to the Red Roof Inn, even told me that he wouldn't suggest I walk to the Red Roof at night because the area was iffy. I was so disappointed that I got in my room, pulled out the yellow pages, and started calling other hotels. Finally, I booked a room at the Plaza San Antonio, which was lovely, and the staff was attentive and kind. (The Menger did pick up the tab.) When we moved to the Menger for our last two nights, we found a bathroom that was rusty, a bathtub that was either filthy or desperately in need of resurfacing, only one working lamp in our room (and the lamp itself was chipped and old), and amenities that were quite minimal. There aren't even coffee makers in the rooms.

The public rooms at The Menger are gorgeous. I suspect the hotel is putting all of its effort into those places rather than the rooms. Ours certainly needed a great deal of work.

I'd never stay at The Menger Hotel again. It was a huge disappointment.

2  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed March 29, 2004

My family and I have stayed at the Menger in the past and are looking forward to returning again this week for the Final Four. I wonder how many other hotels in San Antonio boast architecturally significant courtyards with hundred foot palms swaying, and tiny green lizards scurrying to and fro among the neatly trimmed flowering hedges? A formal garden courtyard with fountain and elaborate ironworked tables and chairs beckons those who wish to dine in its rarefied automosphere; just sitting among such grandeur can elicit smiles and giggles.No hotel is perfect and people's perceptions are subjective. If you want new accomodations, go to the Hilton or Marriott. If you wish to glimpse the grandness of Old San Antonio, you owe it to yourself to stay at the Menger. The bedrooms are stately even though some are small (it is "potluck picks"), the hallways are rambling and lovely, and the clerks, most of whom are polite San Antonians, try their best to accomodate different situations.While there are no coffee machines in the rooms, there is a free coffee and tea station in the side lobby.The pool is chilly in March, no doubt about it, but it shouldn't dissuade most kids and those adults who are determined to swim, from swimming. There is a hot tub nearby for less intrepid souls.Go and enjoy. Life is about discovery and there's lots to discover at the Menger Hotel.

Dallas, TX
Reviewed March 22, 2004

We had a reservation at the hotel for one year for a non-smoking room as we were attending a convention. We've stayed at the hotel before and were very satisfied. Not this time!!

We checked in about 8:30 p.m. on a Wednesday night and the valet informed us that there were no parking spaces. We observed there were plenty of empty spaces in front of the hotel. We asked why those weren't available and wasn't given an answer. The valet said that if we would have paid in advance for a parking space when making the reservation we would be guaranteed one. Nothing was mentioned about this when placing the reservation.

The front desk lady clerk was very rude and treated us like idiots. Her attitude was very condescending and basically told us "too bad-that's your problem, parking is on your own".

I attempted to pay for the parking for the next two nights explaining what the valet had told me. The front desk clerk called the valet over and he denied ever saying what he did. She walked off and was gone. A male clerk appeared and he called around to find us a parking space.

The lady clerk came back and I asked "What room we're in and where are the keys?". She snapped back "I've haven't done it yet!!"

The hotel has five floors. One is smoking. We reserved a nonsmoking room a year in advance. When we got to the floor where our room was, we noticed and smelled that it was smoking. I called down to the desk and the snippy desk clerk replied "Just because you asked for a nonsmoking, doesn't mean you'll get one!" When I went down stairs to complain, a man clerk said he could move us to a nonsmoking. I mentioned that the lady clerk said there were no nonsmoking rooms available. He left and came back and confirmed there wasn't one available that we couldn't get one until the next day. I'm asthmatic so it was a very difficult sleepless night.

In addition, the hotel advertises a heated swimming pool and they don't heat it! Other than March, what time in San Antonio do they heat it?
Surely not August!!

We noticed other items weren't up to par for such an upscale hotel. We concluded it may be under different management. This type of poor service was unacceptable and we won't stay there again.

2  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed March 19, 2004

The lobby is atractive with beautiful antiques. excellent location, close to riverwalk and alamo(across from hotel). easy access to shopping and good food. HOWEVER!!!! rooms are SMALL, bathroom is very small, no space for toothbrush, closet very small. not modern at all, but remember this is a preserved, historical hotel.