“Great location in downtown”
Review of Menger Hotel

Menger Hotel
Ranked #24 of 358 Hotels in San Antonio
Reviewed May 6, 2014 via mobile

We stayed two nights for my wife's 50 high school reunion. We are from San Antonio but have been living out of town for 25 years. We enjoyed the hotel, nice rooms, Sunday brunch was great with many different opinions. Only problem I had was I do not want MSG in my food and asked the chef carving the beef and the young boy did not know what I was talking about also they did not have Green Tea which I think is really popular now and a must for any restaurant.

Stayed: May 2014, traveled with family
There are newer reviews for Menger Hotel

Reviewed May 4, 2014

While I did not stay here, I came to the bar once and the Colonial Room for breakfast. Both experiences were superb. The bar is an exact replica of the pub in the House of Lords -- cool! Drinks very reasonably priced. Have to try it if you like history. The Colonial Room breakfast buffet has everything you could want and the service is great. Ok, the eggs benedict were a bit dried out, but who else has eggs benedict? Sit by the window overlooking the garden patio; simply gorgeous. The lobby is well worth exploring.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled on business
Reviewed May 4, 2014

Yes the Hotel is old, but my Husband and I have been coming here for the past four years now when he is home for his job. It's our favorite getaway. The location is perfect, the riverwalk is just a few steps away as well as other restaurants and bars above ground. My Hubby and I enjoyed our time reconnecting again after he had be gone for six months. The Menger makes us feel home, since he and I have some much history here. We will definatly be returning again very soon!

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank jforest83
Reviewed May 2, 2014

In a city with hotels everywhere don't stay. Tiny tiny room. Window would not close had to plug coffee maker into floor because no plugs. Couldn't get waited on in bar.
Parking charge nobody says anything about is $28.
Just not a good experience.

• Stayed: May 2014
hectorvenegas, General Manager at Menger Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded May 23, 2014

We truly appreciate you sharing your experience with Trip Advisor and hope that you will accept my sincerest apologies that your expectations were not met.

We regret that we were not able to discuss this personally during your stay. At times, we do not have the opportunity to provide our guests with a different room but will always make the attempt to make our guests comfortable.

We hope that you will revisit when you return to San Antonio.

Best regards,
Hector R. Venegas

Reviewed May 1, 2014

Situated right next door to the Alamo and Riverwalk this was the perfect location.
We stayed for 5 nights in April.
Comfy bed, clean room and bathroom.
Shower pressure and temperature was pretty bad but it is an old hotel.
No fridge in the room but on request one was delivered the following day.
We had breakfast in the restaurant, not the buffet just off the menu and was satisfied with the quality of food and service of staff.
Our room was in the back section on the 3rd floor and was huge.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 29, 2014

Yes, this hotel is haunted, but I apparently wasn't in the paranormal realm. Or maybe it was because my room was directly across from the elevator. Apparitions might not like the noise.
I love historic hotels, and the Menger is steeped in history. Although my tub didn't drain, so when I got in to shower, I was already standing in a few inches of water, the bathroom was clean but exceptionally small. My used water glasses weren't replaced daily. The bed was extremely comfortable. The window view overlooked a roof. However, I wasn't in San Antonio to sit in my room and look out the window. Price was reasonable, location incomparable, and the check-in staff friendly. If I visit again, I hope the cosmic vibrations are correctly aligned as I'd love to see Teddy Roosevelt recruiting the Rough Riders in the Menger bar.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled solo
Reviewed April 26, 2014

I stayed here for fiesta. The location is right across from the riverwalk next to the Alamo. Very convenient to everything. The old charm of the hotel is great. You almost feel as though you have stepped back 100 years. The hotel has done a great job of keeping the older décor. The room was OK. The same style of the older décor. I think the exposed piping on the ceiling was due to keeping its charm. The step to the bathroom was a but of a nuisance, but again this was the way they built. The courtyard was beautiful and charming. All in all was great for a one night stay.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple