Menger Hotel
$119
$266
$239
  • Restaurant
Comfort Suites Alamo/Riverwalk(San Antonio)
$98
$238
$206
  • Restaurant
Omni La Mansion del Rio(San Antonio)
$196
$149
  • Restaurant
Omni San Antonio Hotel(San Antonio)(Great Value!)
$159
$153
$140
Travelocity
2,820 results
All reviewsmenger barteddy rooseveltcolonial roommango ice creamghost tourcolonial restauranthistorical hotelthe river walkrocking chairslots of historyalamo plazarooms are smallvalet parkingthe location is perfectconvention centerwater pressurelobby
FilterAll languages
Reviewed April 1, 2014

We stayed a the Menger for both its historic value and the haunted reputation. We completely enjoyed the history and the excellent service. The staff is on par with any 5 star accommodation. We enjoyed viewing the history and the architecture. The dining room was elegant in the "old style" charm and had a very good meal.
Unfortunately we were not to be entertained by the resident ghosts but will try again.

Room Tip: They will try to accommodate a view request of the Alamo or staying in the older areas for charm. Just ask
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled with family
hectorvenegas, General Manager at Menger Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded April 2, 2014

I would like to thank you for taking the time to share your experience with Trip Advisor.

It is the goal of the ladies and gentlemen of our staff to have every guest leave with fond memories. they will appreciate that their efforts are recognized.

We look forward to your return to the Historic Menger Hotel.

Reviewed March 31, 2014

I originally booked the Menger simply because it was located next to the Alamo. Before I actually left on my trip, I began reading reviews, and my heart began to sink into the pit of my stomach. Fortunately, I ended up being very pleasantly surprised. I guess the long and the short of it is that if you want a modern hotel and the smell of "newness" then this isn't the place for you. But if you want a beautiful trip back in time to see what luxury was in the late 19th and early 20th centuries, then the Menger is that place. I found it exquisite, ornate, interesting, and teeming with historic character. And when you head down the hall to your room after arriving, and an employee is doing nothing but wiping smudges off of the acrylic signs and nameplates along the hallway, you know that the place is well cared for. The courtyard and atrium are gorgeous, and every antique nook and cranny yields great photos of by gone eras (seriously? wood phone booths built into the wall?). As I said, the Alamo is next door. The Riverwalk is just across the street. The Riverwalk Shopping Center is next door also. The interstate is a minute away. The AT&T Center is about 7-10 minutes away and seeing the Spurs was a treat! The Menger was a great venue to host my family's first and perhaps only trip to San Antonio. I gave it a 4 because I don't really know what a 5 is...perfect, I guess, and I've never been to a perfect place (and maybe due to the valet parking rate...but they were very fast!). I highly recommend a stay at the Menger if making your first trip to San Anton...that is, unless you just prefer modern boring to historic charm...

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank rwheless

When a guest takes their time to share their experience, whether it is delightful or some concerns, it is truly appreciated. We are pleased that we exceeded your expectations.

Your comments have been shared with the ladies and gentlemen of our staff as reinforcement of our commitment toward exemplary guest satisfaction.,

We hope that when your travels bring you back to San Antonio, you will once again choose the Historic Menger Hotel for your lodging.

Reviewed March 31, 2014

I took lots of pictures of the property and it's historic architecture - it was a glimpse of some 40's style charm (at least that's how I describe it). I was inlove with the hotel courtyard and it's make up with the surrounding suites around it. It almost seemed like a loft type of unit with that style of courtyard in the middle of it. I also found it cool that they still had those nostalgic type of brass cigarette/trash cans all in the hotel. Even though smoking is not permitted, it was cool to see those as a part of the history.

It is said that the Menger is haunted - I didn't experience that. Probably because I don't have a need to and hey, if there's ghosts and they're minding their own business, then why do I care? They can do what they want just as I can. The only thing I found amusing was that the hallways in the Menger are very long - VERY long. Probably because the hotel itself is quite large and spread out. So...when you're walking along those long hallways and it's quiet, there's a sense of waiting for two twin girls to come riding out on tricycles...if you get that reference.

The Menger Bar was great to relax in. I enjoyed the restaurant - the food was great. Especially that wicked Bread Pudding. Someone needs to warn others about that delicious sin!

My room was fine and I had no problem with it - I had a great balcony and view ! The staff I worked with and interacted with - all very friendly and willing to help when I asked since I was there to attend a business event for my company. We were always supplied with food, drink and support for our meetings. I also loved that it was right downtown next within walking distance of the River Walk.

The things I can think of that would be opportunities are:
* The Fitness Room has outdated machines. Only one treadmill, on sitting cycle and two elipticals. The elliptical machines both had pedals that weren't on track - so if you're not careful, you could step wrong.

* Room Service - the hours says 6:00am; however, I dialed one morning at 5:57am, 6:01am, 6:15am and one last time at 6:28am with no answer and directed to an answering machine.

* I'm used to a showerhead with more water pressure. Since the bathrooms are still in it's historic build, it's not what we might be used to so the water runs soft in pressure. But hey, that's just a preference.

Overall, it was nice experience to have and I'm glad I had chance to have it.
Thank you, Menger Hotel!

Room Tip: If you can try to a room that overlooks the pool, that might be nicer than one that overlooks the courtyard. I noticed the rooms that overlook the courtyard don't have a walk out balcony - only windows with small balcony you can't go out on., The rooms that overlook the pool are walk out balconies that have a little patio table and chairs you can sit on and relax on.
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled on business

It is truly appreciated when a guest takes the time to share their experience with Trip Advisor.

It is our goal to have every guest leave with fond memories and we are pleased that you enjoyed the Historic Menger Hotel.

We look forward to your return.

Reviewed March 30, 2014 via mobile

We have stayed here often; it's a lovely historic hotel in the middle of San Antonio , close to everything. It has the usual quirks of an old hotel, but if smallish rooms don't bother you, it's great. However, we booked a room for Saturday night , expecting to be able to get breakfast early-630-and be on our way. Well! The dining room, I was told, was completely booked. Turns out a petroleum convention had booked the entire dining area from 630 until 2pm. Could other guests not have been told this as they checked in? Could management not have put the convention guys in one of their many meeting rooms? And to add insult to injury, as we were leaving at 630 to go to the river walk for breakfast, there wasn't a single person in the dining room. Really Menger? I think we'll go to the Emily Morgan or Crockett next time.

• Stayed: March 2014

I would like to thank you for sharing your comments with Trip Advisor. Please accept my sincerest apologies..

The Colonial Dining Room brunch is very popular not only with our guests but with many local residents. We regret that we were not able to accommodate your breakfast needs.

We hope when the opportunity for you to return to San Antonio arises you will once again choose the Historic Menger Hotel for you lodging.

Reviewed March 28, 2014

This was a trip down memory lane! A very interesting and historic place.
One courtyard with lovely flowers and also rocking chairs around to relax and ponder the beauty of the place.
Another courtyard with pool and hot tub!
The rooms were quite small but adequate and clean.
The history and beauty of the hotel made up for any negatives.
It was a block from the riverwalk and in a very great location.
I certainly would stay there again!

Room Tip: I made a bid on priceline so got a good rate!
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled with friends
hectorvenegas, General Manager at Menger Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded March 31, 2014

Your comments with Trip Advisor are truly appreciated.

As a historic hotel we have a variety of rooms and sizes. We regret a larger room was not available during your stay. I have shared your comments with the ladies and gentlemen of our staff as reinforcement of our commitment toward exemplary guest satisfaction.

We look forward to your return to the Historic Menger Hotel when your travels bring you back to San Antonio.