My boyfriend and I visited San Antonio and decided to stay over one extra night and Hotwired a room for the night and ended up with the Menger Hotel. I took a look at the site, realized that it was old but it didn't look too bad. Let me just say, I think that one side of this hotel is older than the other, but I'm not sure. Here were my issues with it:
1. It's historic read as OLD. Everything is old and not necessarily well kept. The furniture was all scrapped and the bed moved every time we sat on it.
2. Our bed was TINY and uncomfortable. I think it was a double, but we barely fit and we are not big people.
3. It smells like a mixture of smoke and mold. Downstairs there's a smoke store and people are allowed to smoke inside, it seeps into the hallway and there's a constant stale smoke smell.
4. The room smelled like mold and air freshner, it wasn't pleasant and the room felt kind of dank.
5. The room was very small.
On the upside:
1. Across the street from the Alamo
2. Nice televisions and good channel selection
Overall - fine for just a night, but nothing particularly extravagant. According to Hotwire it's 3.5 stars, I disagree I give it 3 max.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Historic 1859 hotel next to Alamo, 1 block from Riverwalk. Originally built in 1859, The Menger Hotel is located in central San Antonio, one block from the famed Riverwalk, the Children's Museum, and the Buckhorn Museum. Nearby points of interest also include the Rivercenter Mall, Henry B. Gonzalez Convention Center, and San Antonio Central Library. The hotel's Colonial Room Restaurant serves American regional cuisine for breakfast, lunch, dinner and brunch. The historic Menger Bar, a replica of London's House of Lords Pub, features cherry paneling and booth seating. Room service is also available.The Menger Hotel's tropical courtyard garden looks out onto an outdoor heated pool. On-site recreational amenities also include a spa tub, a sauna, and a fitness facility with cardiovascular equipment. The full-service Alamo Plaza Spa offers spa treatments including massages, scrubs, facials, and a Finnish sauna. More than 11,618 square feet of flexible function space accommodates up to 750 guests and includes the Plaza Ballroom, 9 meeting and conference rooms, poolside rooms, and a terrace that overlooks the Menger Court. Valet parking is available (surcharge). Complimentary wireless Internet access is offered in all public areas. The Menger Hotel is a smoke-free property.Built in 1859, the five-story Menger Hotel is next to the Alamo and just one block from the Children's Museum and the shops at the Riverwalk; the arts community of La Villita is four blocks away. The hotel features the Colonial Room Restaurant and the historic Menger Bar, a replica of London’s House of Lord’s Pub. Additional amenities include an outdoor pool, a spa tub, and a spa offering European-style treatments. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Booking.com, TravelClick and Priceline so you can book your Menger Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.