“Meh.... on the Menger” 3 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #30 of 353 Hotels in San Antonio
Seattle, Washington
“Meh.... on the Menger”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 26, 2014

My boyfriend and I visited San Antonio and decided to stay over one extra night and Hotwired a room for the night and ended up with the Menger Hotel. I took a look at the site, realized that it was old but it didn't look too bad. Let me just say, I think that one side of this hotel is older than the other, but I'm not sure. Here were my issues with it:

1. It's historic read as OLD. Everything is old and not necessarily well kept. The furniture was all scrapped and the bed moved every time we sat on it.

2. Our bed was TINY and uncomfortable. I think it was a double, but we barely fit and we are not big people.

3. It smells like a mixture of smoke and mold. Downstairs there's a smoke store and people are allowed to smoke inside, it seeps into the hallway and there's a constant stale smoke smell.

4. The room smelled like mold and air freshner, it wasn't pleasant and the room felt kind of dank.

5. The room was very small.

On the upside:

1. Across the street from the Alamo
2. Nice televisions and good channel selection

Overall - fine for just a night, but nothing particularly extravagant. According to Hotwire it's 3.5 stars, I disagree I give it 3 max.

Room Tip: Ask for a newer room... and ask for one with a king size or double bed!
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
hectorvenegas, General Manager at Menger Hotel, responded to this review, March 28, 2014
We would like to take this opportunity to thank you for sharing your experience on Trip Advisor. Please accept my sincerest apologies for your discomfort.

As a historic hotel, we have experienced several renovations over the years which adds a variety of rooms and room sizes. Your comments have been shared with the ladies and gentlemen of our staff as we are committed to exemplary guest satisfaction.

We hope when the opportunity for you to return to San Antonio arises, you will once again choose the Historic Menger Hotel for your lodging.

Hector R. Venegas

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (528)
  • Indonesian first
New York City, New York
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 26, 2014

This is a wonderful old historic building but needs work - lots of it to even approach being a first class establishment. The rooms are OK but the bathrooms are atrocious - our shower head was so low that my husband had to bend down to get his head near the shower head. The water was impossible to regulate so that it was constantly changing from hot to ice cold. The location of the elevators require a short hike to some of the rooms. Our room phone did not work and although I reported it to the desk, nobody came to fix it during our 3 night stay. I didn't really care too much as everyone has a cell phone these days, but it speaks to the level of care that guests receive.
The hotel is right next to the Alamo but many hotels on the RIverwalk are just a short walk away and infinitely nicer.
The building is historic and definitely worth refurbishing but until a major renovation occurs, do yourself a favor and stay on the Riverwalk

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
We would like to thank you for taking the time to share your comments with Trip Advisor.

As a historic hotel we do have a variety of room decor and sizes. We are regret that we did not meet your expectations during your stay. Your comments have been shared with the ladies and gentlemen of our staff as we are striving to improve our services.

We hope when your travels bring you back to San Antonio, you will once again choose the Historic Menger Hotel for your lodging.

Twin Cities, MN
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 25, 2014

In the Menger Hotel, as with most old places, you have to put up with some less than stellar mechanical issues to enjoy the old world charm and patina of a place that's withstood the test of time.

The staff is top notch and professional. They're willing to help you with anything and they do it with a smile. The lobby and first floor hallways are stone and old wood. Window displays show off San Antonio's rich history. The place is next door to the Alamo and one block from the famed River Walk, the two most famous tourist traps in Texas. As a result, the hotel and surrounding area are inundated with camera laden tourists, many of them shipped there by bus and wearing name tags. They mix with the locals and, during the day, the high school field trippers posing for group pictures. The result is a sense of managed learning rather than the pure joy of self discovery, but inside the Menger, you find a respite from the prepackaged experience and you feel no great urge to leave the lobby to see some corporate sponsored sightseeing.

The rooms are small, just like they used to make them in the old days. The beds are comfortable and new. These old rooms lack wall sockets for the modern traveler who needs to charge all manner of gadgets. If you need to plug in a CPAP machine or any other device you have to unplug something to free up a socket.

The bathroom is tinny. As a slightly larger than average person, the commode felt extremely cramped. My leg was against the wall and the toilet paper holder was above my knee. A larger person may have some difficulty taking care of business. The shower had great water pressure and the shower head has been modified to raise it to a point where most people can fit under it. The shower curtain rod was straight and made the shower feel cramped, but this bathroom is too small to accommodate the newer, bowed rods that give you more room in the shower.

The heating and air conditioning are also old. This particular night, the temps got cold by Texas standards and the hotel shut off the air conditioning and turned on the heat. By 4:00 a.m., the room became uncomfortably hot for us Minnesotans.

Such is the case with old hotels. These minor, old school inconveniences are no big deal in a town where you are disinclined to do anything in your room but sleep and shower. The service and charm of this place are reason enough to book a room here.

• 5 of 5 bubbles
Your comments to Trip Advisor have captured the true essence of the Historic Menger Hotel. We appreciate your sharing the details and we are pleased that our goal of having every guest leave with fond memories was exceeded.

We look forward to your return to the Historic Menger Hotel.

best regards
Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 21, 2014

My family spent three nights last weekend at the Menger. We had a completely enjoyable time! Our room was large, as was the bathroom, but you can see that there are really old parts of the hotel, and newer add-ons. I'm sure there are many different sizes and varieties of rooms. The beds were very comfortable, with an assortment of pillow sizes to choose from, which was great because we all have different preferences. We enjoyed Sunday breakfast in the dining room, and having a drink in the famous bar. Housekeeping was very considerate -- they cleaned the room when we were gone, and when we had the Do Not Disturb sign on the door, they left a phone message to call if we needed towels or any other services. During Spring Break, pricing for the Menger was great compared to some of the other hotels near the River. They other hotels might be fancier, or have newer bedspreads and carpet, etc., but if you enjoy historical settings/nostalgia, friendly local employees and being close to everything, I'd highly recommend this hotel. We didn't mind so much paying for parking. I've stayed in other hotels in San Antonio where you have to pay to park your own car blocks away, and this was very convenient.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
We truly appreciate you taking the time to share your experience with Trip Advisor.

When a guest takes the time to recognize our staff's efforts, the comments are shared with the ladies and gentlemen of our staff as reinforcement of our commitment toward exemplary guest satisfaction.

We look forward to your return to the Historic Menger Hotel when your travels bring you back to San Antonio.

Oklahoma City
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 19, 2014

Menger Hotel is a very elegant hotel and has a rich history, including being the place where Teddy Roosevelt vetted his Rough Riders. The hotel has a lot of historical info on its walls and some exhibits. Dating from the 1850s some rooms are small, even cramped; had a friend who stayed in a room that only had a twin bed-- and that was the largest bed that would fit in the room. My room, however, was in the newest addition of the hotel and featured two queen beds and a large dressing area. Swimming pool is quite large for a hotel and very nice- and heated. Beautiful courtyard area to relax in. Service was excellent, and the location is amazing. Across the street north is the Alamo. Across the street west are the main tourist shops for T shirts and other stuff people buy. Adjacent to the south is the Riverwalk Mall, with restaurants and a good sized and busy food court. You can access the River Walk by walking down the the lower level of the mall, or just walk across the street to another access point. Very pleased with the beds, slept well. Internet worked well also- was free!

Room Tip: If you don't want a "historic" and therefore "small" room, ask if a room in...
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
hectorvenegas, General Manager at Menger Hotel, responded to this review, March 20, 2014
We want to thank you for taking the time to share your experience with Trip Advisor. It is truly rewarding when a guest recognizes our efforts. Your comments have been shared with the ladies and gentlemen of our staff as reinforcement of our commitment toward exemplary guest satisfaction.

We look forward to your return to the Historic Menger Hotel.

Montevideo, Uruguay
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 19, 2014

We attended a conference in San Antonio last week and stayed 5 nights in The Menger. I loved it very much and would stay there again without hesitation. It is a beautiful building and just knowing that it was 101 years old when I was born just added fun!. The room was ample enough and so was the bathroom. The beds were comfortable and the decor was nice, not outstanding but we did not spend much time at the room either. The bar is lovely, with wood allover, a big moose head and even some bullet holes in the walls, also I had the best Cosmopolitan cocktail ever!!! The patio is lovely too, me, my son and my husband sat at the rocking chairs basking in some warm breeze in the afternoon… But, there always is a downside…In this case it was the time we had to wait for the valet parking service. # times we had to wait over 20 minutes to get our car. I suppose that is the consequence of being so terrifically located. As for the ghost, there sure are a couple of them. We kept losing our stuff in matter of minutes and found my husband belt (which he just took off) in my laptop case, also, more than a couple of times, we used our card to open the bedroom door and it felt like somebody was pushing it from the inside, and just opened like magic seconds later. I loved the Menger Hotel and would definitely stay again!!!

Room Tip: Our room was very good facing the pool in the 4th floor. I would suggest calling the valet to get yo...
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
We are very pleased that you took the time to share your delightful experience with Trip Advisor.

It is our goal that every guest leave with fond memories and we look forward to your return to teh Historic Menger Hotel when your travels bring you back to San Antonio.

San Antonio, Texas
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 18, 2014

For many years we have wanted to take in the nostalgia of the Menger hotel and finally were able to take a day to fit it in our bucket list. Upon check-in we wandered the halls taking in the craftsmanship of years past and were not disappointed. Our room was a grand step back into the absolute splendor of history and elegance. When it was time to bring the evening to a close we turned the heat up to cut the chill from the air. Waking on and off until 0200 when my wife called the desk to ask about the heat however after 10 or so rings there was no answer. We proceeded to put on sweat cloths and socks. I tried the desk once again and connected with an attendant. When I asked if they could do something about the heat he said the general manager instructed them that the heat had been turned off for the night. Needless to say our creature comfort need for a temperature over 50 degrees inhibited us from receiving much sleep. We utilized the shower to heat the room in the morning to make it tolerable to prepare for the day. We are now in day two after our stay and still combating a runny nose and sore throat. My wife has a doctor’s appointment today but I’m going to hold out until the weekend in hopes it will run its course. The lack of sleep from the cold made our stay an extremely disappointing experience.

Room Tip: Never assume anything, prior to checking in ensure the heat and/or A/C are in good working order. I...
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
I would like to thank you for taking the time to share your experience with Trip Advisor. Please accept my sincerest apologies for the discomfort you experienced.

I have shared your comments with the ladies and gentlemen of our staff as we are striving to improve our services.

We hope when the opportunity arises for you to return to San Antonio you will once again choose the Historic Menger Hotel.