“History in Downtown San Antonio”
Review of Menger Hotel

Menger Hotel
Ranked #27 of 354 Hotels in San Antonio
New York City, New York
“History in Downtown San Antonio”
Reviewed November 23, 2013

The Menger Hotel was very pleasant to stay at. The attention to preserving the hotel's historic character was very nice and added a different touch to one's stay at this hotel. The room was very comfortable and the hotel's location adjacent to The Alamo made it easy to access all of the touristic attractions. The shops on the first floor were interesting and the hotel staff was pleasant as well. The brunch was a bit pricey but did have a big variety. If you are into history and don't mind staying at a hotel with an older touch to it, then the Menger Hotel is good for you. The outside garden was a great place to have a cigar and to contemplate along the beautiful garden.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Veloz-Travel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (558)
  • Indonesian first
Adra, Spain
Reviewed November 23, 2013

Fantastic hotel in a great location next to the Alamo. Friendly staff particularly in the bar and restaurant. The restaurant food was excellent although we only ate there once in the evening. Breakfast each day was good with a great choice, either buffet or a la carte.
We had the Evelyn Raper Suite which was huge with good facilities although the bathroom was a bit on the small side but not a problem for us at all. The only downside was street noise from the streets being hosed down or a leaf blower or something starting at around 0630 every morning, plus the constant beeping of the pedestrian crossing. The positive was that the room had a private balcony and we enjoyed many glasses of wine sat there watching the world go by. Although the hotel is supposed to be haunted, we never saw any ghosts during our stay:(

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank MunchKen
Blyth, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 22, 2013

My husband and I visited San Antonio recently and my brother who lives in Texas suggested this hotel. It is right next door to The Alamo and close to the lovely River Walk,

The hotel has an old world charm although it is a large hotel and takes up almost a block it really doesn't feel big with warm wood and beautiful features. There is a pool and hot tub to chill out beside with free soft drinks from the bar. The reception staff could not be more charming or helpful, so lovely when you are a weary traveller.

The Sunday buffet was excellent as was the breakfasts. We stayed there on two occasions, once for 3 nights and again for 4 nights at the end of our trip. The rooms are spacious and well kept and very comfortable. Room service was efficient and not over priced.

Room Tip: Look on their website for special offers. Our last visit of 4 nights cost slightly less than our vis...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Lyn H
Houston, Texas
Reviewed November 21, 2013

We stayed here for 1 night over the weekend, and while our stay was short it was also beyond our expectations.

As history lovers, the trifecta of a 150-year old hotel which has hosted Presidents, its proximity to the Alamo and the RiverWalk, and the excellent service proved too much to resist.

Let's get a few things out of the way- this is not a hotel you go to just to spend a night. The whole place is an experience (especially if you're in the historic wing). If you like old world elegance, portraits hanging everywhere and rich history, this is your place. If you are looking for a quick in-and-out overnight with WiFi and gizmos, this ain't your place, bubba.

After reading review after review of the brunch, we decided to try it. Best decision we made that weekend. Don't miss it if you are here on a Sunday.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Hunter Valley, Australia
Reviewed November 17, 2013 via mobile

Stayed in a beautiful a suite. Checkin was with a man who displayed no personality whatsoever. Waited 45 minutes for bags to come up and finally had to call to get them. Very unhelpful staff on end of phone who asked me to describe all of the luggage, I would have thought it would have been easier to ask the number on the claim check, but he seemed to think it funny to keep asking if I had a little yellow bird. Finally decided to send the luggage up when I asked if he wanted me to come and get it myself. We then decided to go for a walk and found a key someone had dropped. Handed it in to the same man with whom we had spent at least 10 minutes with checking in. He didn't even bother looking at me but did say thank you sir. He changed it ot maam when he heard my disgust at being called sir. As I said this is a very grand beautiful hotel but after what we are paying to stay here I would have expected a friendlier service. Hopefully checkout tomorrow will be better.

• Stayed November 2013
Whistler, Canada
Reviewed November 14, 2013

Both my husband and I work in the service industry and we are astounded at the lack of interest we experienced from the front desk staff on 2 occasions. The first incident was with regard to finding a bank within the vicinity of the hotel - we were sent on a wild goose chase by the disinterested front desk employee. The second was when we asked how to use the telephones found in the lobby area - we were following the instructions found on the phone however to no avail. When we sought help the employee had no idea how to use the telephone and even suggested they probably didn't work anyway!! When we explained we really needed to contact our friends in another city and being from overseas we didn't have a cellphone he simply shrugged his shoulders - argghghhhhh!!!

• Stayed November 2013
2 Thank Snowbabies1
Humble, Texas
Reviewed November 11, 2013

We have stayed at the Menger Hotel many times. Its old faded charm of a bygone era with bathroom upgrades attracted us, but It is not for everyone. My grandson and I like to try and find the ghosts and enjoy scaring ourselves. That being said, This is what I experienced at the Menger on the night of my 58th birthday. At approximately 3:00am I felt as if I had woken up and saw flashes of muted light around the ceiling and corners of the walls of our suite, then I felt as if I was frozen to the bed and could not move. I felt pressure on my chest and my entire body like someone was smothering me from head to toe with an invisible pillow. From the corner of my eye, I could see my husband sleeping beside me. I tried to move, but couldn't and I tried to yell out but was unable to speak. Suddenly, I forced a scream and this woke my husband who then shook me and broke the sensation I was having. It was not the sexy scream as seen in the movies, he said it was more the wail of a wounded animal and that I was pale and wild eyed when he finally calmed me down. I will be honest, it scared the living day-lights out of me as it felt so real and the memory of that night still lives with me. I am a researcher so during my search of this sensation, I ran across the term "Sleep Paralysis" which appears to be the logical explanation so I've chosen to accept that as what happened - due to the fact that there were many days of anticipation and talking about ghosts and hauntings prior to our trip coupled with conversations about ghosts and a haunted carriage ride that night. However, that sensation had never happened to me before and it happened at the Haunted Menger Hotel, so you tell me. I love the old hotel and it is beyond charming during the Christmas Season - A Must See! Will I stay again? Yes, but maybe not in that same room.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
hectorvenegas, General Manager at Menger Hotel, responded to this review, November 13, 2013
We truly appreciate you taking the time to share your experience with Trip Advisor.
We are pleased to learn that other than your frightful experience, you and your family enjoyed your stay.

Our Christmas season displays and decorations will be in place the week of November 25 and our staff and our decorators will be pleased to learn that you appreciate their efforts.

We look forward to your return when your travels bring you back to San Antonio and the Historic Menger Hotel.

Best regards,