“Major disappointment”

Ranked #30 of 354 Hotels in San Antonio
A TripAdvisor Member
“Major disappointment”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 29, 2004

We had reservations for months to stay at The Menger from 3/24-28 while attending a conference in San Antonio. When I got there the evening of 3/24, the desk clerk informed me that they'd overbooked the hotel and that they'd shuttle me to the Red Roof Inn for two nights, which was on the other side of the highway and thus far from the conference activities, because "it's the only place we could find with available rooms." The shuttle driver, who took me to the Red Roof Inn, even told me that he wouldn't suggest I walk to the Red Roof at night because the area was iffy. I was so disappointed that I got in my room, pulled out the yellow pages, and started calling other hotels. Finally, I booked a room at the Plaza San Antonio, which was lovely, and the staff was attentive and kind. (The Menger did pick up the tab.) When we moved to the Menger for our last two nights, we found a bathroom that was rusty, a bathtub that was either filthy or desperately in need of resurfacing, only one working lamp in our room (and the lamp itself was chipped and old), and amenities that were quite minimal. There aren't even coffee makers in the rooms.

The public rooms at The Menger are gorgeous. I suspect the hotel is putting all of its effort into those places rather than the rooms. Ours certainly needed a great deal of work.

I'd never stay at The Menger Hotel again. It was a huge disappointment.

2 Thank A TripAdvisor Member

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (545)
  • Indonesian first
Media, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 29, 2004

My family and I have stayed at the Menger in the past and are looking forward to returning again this week for the Final Four. I wonder how many other hotels in San Antonio boast architecturally significant courtyards with hundred foot palms swaying, and tiny green lizards scurrying to and fro among the neatly trimmed flowering hedges? A formal garden courtyard with fountain and elaborate ironworked tables and chairs beckons those who wish to dine in its rarefied automosphere; just sitting among such grandeur can elicit smiles and giggles.No hotel is perfect and people's perceptions are subjective. If you want new accomodations, go to the Hilton or Marriott. If you wish to glimpse the grandness of Old San Antonio, you owe it to yourself to stay at the Menger. The bedrooms are stately even though some are small (it is "potluck picks"), the hallways are rambling and lovely, and the clerks, most of whom are polite San Antonians, try their best to accomodate different situations.While there are no coffee machines in the rooms, there is a free coffee and tea station in the side lobby.The pool is chilly in March, no doubt about it, but it shouldn't dissuade most kids and those adults who are determined to swim, from swimming. There is a hot tub nearby for less intrepid souls.Go and enjoy. Life is about discovery and there's lots to discover at the Menger Hotel.

A TripAdvisor Member
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 22, 2004

We had a reservation at the hotel for one year for a non-smoking room as we were attending a convention. We've stayed at the hotel before and were very satisfied. Not this time!!

We checked in about 8:30 p.m. on a Wednesday night and the valet informed us that there were no parking spaces. We observed there were plenty of empty spaces in front of the hotel. We asked why those weren't available and wasn't given an answer. The valet said that if we would have paid in advance for a parking space when making the reservation we would be guaranteed one. Nothing was mentioned about this when placing the reservation.

The front desk lady clerk was very rude and treated us like idiots. Her attitude was very condescending and basically told us "too bad-that's your problem, parking is on your own".

I attempted to pay for the parking for the next two nights explaining what the valet had told me. The front desk clerk called the valet over and he denied ever saying what he did. She walked off and was gone. A male clerk appeared and he called around to find us a parking space.

The lady clerk came back and I asked "What room we're in and where are the keys?". She snapped back "I've haven't done it yet!!"

The hotel has five floors. One is smoking. We reserved a nonsmoking room a year in advance. When we got to the floor where our room was, we noticed and smelled that it was smoking. I called down to the desk and the snippy desk clerk replied "Just because you asked for a nonsmoking, doesn't mean you'll get one!" When I went down stairs to complain, a man clerk said he could move us to a nonsmoking. I mentioned that the lady clerk said there were no nonsmoking rooms available. He left and came back and confirmed there wasn't one available that we couldn't get one until the next day. I'm asthmatic so it was a very difficult sleepless night.

In addition, the hotel advertises a heated swimming pool and they don't heat it! Other than March, what time in San Antonio do they heat it?
Surely not August!!

We noticed other items weren't up to par for such an upscale hotel. We concluded it may be under different management. This type of poor service was unacceptable and we won't stay there again.

2 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
west palm beach,fl
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 19, 2004

The lobby is atractive with beautiful antiques. excellent location, close to riverwalk and alamo(across from hotel). easy access to shopping and good food. HOWEVER!!!! rooms are SMALL, bathroom is very small, no space for toothbrush, closet very small. not modern at all, but remember this is a preserved, historical hotel.

Victoria, TX
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 17, 2004

The Menger Hotel is the epitome of Texas History and is absolutely rich in history and content. It is breathtaking just to walk through and witness the past as it comes alive. However, be aware that there are two different sections; one being a "newer" addition. The older rooms are more enriched with the atmosphere, but lack the insulation and updates. Also, if you think you are getting a "good deal" on the price, be aware that you will probably be placed in one of the smaller rooms which may be all but hidden from any view. The one thing we did find out is that if you complain about your room, you may be relocated and sometimes it is worth the trouble. We received a tiny, miseable room with no view and when we complained, we were actually given one of the original suites that overlook Alamo Plaza! What a treat to go from bad to the best! No matter; the Menger is a part of San Antonio history that should never be missed. And don't overlook the bar! Teddy Roosevelt drank there and some say he's still around.

2 Thank montagnancy
Las Vegas, Nevada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 11, 2004

Okay, I admit it, I love older hotels like the Menger. Sometimes the plumbing isn't quite right, or there aren't enough electrical outlets, but they have an ambience and character that can't be beat. The Menger is a beautiful historic hotel and my room was great. High ceilings, nice crown molding, and the plumbing and electrical worked just fine!
Really enjoyed my four day stay in San Antonio, and staying at the Menger was icing on the cake. Next time I'll take my family.

2 Thank CulinaryAfficionado
Midlothian, Tx
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 23, 2004

Our stay at the Menger Hotel was great. The Hotel is close to the shops, entertainment, Riverwalk, and the history reflected in the building is spooky in a good way. It is an older hotel but is well kept. Also if you don't want to pay the daily valet parking there is cheaper parking right next door. The only problem we encountered is that when I attemp to make a reservation for the weekend I wait too long and its booked.

2 Thank valderas1