“Grand Dame of San Antonio”
Review of Menger Hotel

Menger Hotel
Ranked #24 of 358 Hotels in San Antonio
Reviewed July 29, 2013

Hadn't stayed at the hotel in 30 years and found it to be just a fabulous as we remembered. We asked to stay in the older wing of the hotel for the ambience and décor. The room was spacious and of course the bath was a bit antique, but very serviceable and clean. The shower was great, no water saver shower head. The room overlooked the garden and even in a drought it was beautiful. This hotel has everything you could wish for. Check out valet service was a bit chaotic, but not a long wait. The restaurant breakfast/brunch was incredible. You cannot beat the location, close to the river walk, shopping and historic Alamo Plaza. They said the ghost tours are really good, my daughter in law actually got a picture of a ghost on her tour. Fascinating. STAY HERE, we will again and sooner than another 30 years!

Room Tip: They're all good. Older wing rooms are bigger and reportedly haunted. We didn't notice any g...
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Melissa H
hectorvenegas, General Manager at Menger Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded July 31, 2013

We truly appreciate you taking the time to share your delightful experience of your stay at the Historic Menger Hotel.

It is the goal of the ladies and gentlemen of our staff to have every guest leave with fond memories and they will be pleased their efforts were recognized.

When the opportunity for you to return (as quickly as possible) to San Antonio, the Historic Menger Hotel will once again be proud to be your lodging choice.

There are newer reviews for Menger Hotel

Reviewed July 29, 2013

I had heard about the Menger Hotel for years and finally stayed there this past weekend. I loved it! It is a wonderful step back into history and you can tell that great effort has gone into staying as true to its rich historical past as possible. The rooms are delightful. I had a room with a view of the garden that was located in one of the older sections of the hotel. Beds were wonderfully comfortable which was important after a day full of touring. The location of the hotel is great for walking to many of the local tourist hot spots and is right across the street from the Alamo. Staff were very friendly and went out of their way to be helpful. Food at the hotel restaurant was wonderful and I just couldn't resist having a martini in the Menger Bar where Teddy Roosevelt recruited his Rough Riders! Even though this was the middle of the summer and the hotel was packed, I still felt like an individual to each and every staff person. The hotel is supposed to be haunted and I looked for some of the friendly ghosts, but did not find any. I guess that just gives me a good excuse to go back and stay at the wonderful hotel again!

Room Tip: My room looked over the Garden so I did not have to worry about any street noise from the Alamo Plaz...
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Ellen S

We truly thank you for taking the time to advise Trip Advisor about your recent stay.

We are pleased that our efforts toward historical preservation and exemplary guest satisfaction were recognized.

We look forward to your return when your travels bring you back to San Antonio and the Historic Menger Hotel.

Reviewed July 27, 2013

We needed a place to stay that was semi affordable. We were in town a night early for a convention and couldn't get a room at our other hotel. We arrived around 5 pm and were a little irritated at the wait to check in and we noticed a musty smell in the lobby, but we bad been in the car for 8 hours, so looking back, it wasn't a big deal. Our room was a little small but the bed was comfy and it had that historical feel about it. We had a great view of the Alamo. I used the workout room in the AM and it was nice and Overlooked the pool. I watched the crew clean the pool and they were meticulous. The Menger's location is prime. It is right in the middle of all the action! We didn't use the valet. We parked in a garage a few blocks away for $9 a night. Nice place, especially if you're a history buff.

Stayed: July 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Cheryl_in_Texarkana
hectorvenegas, General Manager at Menger Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded July 29, 2013

We are pleased that you selected the Historic Menger Hotel during your downtown visit to San Antonio and thank you for sharing your comments with Trip Advisor.

The ladies and gentlemen of our staff appreciate that their efforts toward exemplary guest satisfaction were noticed.

Reviewed July 26, 2013

I've stayed here twice, and am always impressed with the history and atmosphere. The rooms are a bit small, but are spotless and ooze character. The service is wonderful, and the location (next to the Alamo), cant be beat, but be aware it is about a block off of the River-Walk. If you get a chance check out the bar where Teddy Roosevelt recruited Rough Riders.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank James B

It is always a pleasure to hear from our return guests and the ladies and gentlemen of our staff will be pleased to learn that their efforts were recognized.

We thank you for sharing your experience with Trip Advisor and look forward to your return to the Historic Menger Hotel.

Hector R. Venegas
The Historic Menger Hotel.

Reviewed July 21, 2013

We usually stay at the Merriott in San Antonio, but during a couple of recent business trips, we were searching for something different downtown. We stumbled on The Menger Hotel and after a brief "get aquainted" period, it has become my new fav. place to stay. The Hotel is decorated in Period décor... Teddy Roosevelt era. Lots of dark stained wood, memorabilia, etc. It has a great and inviting courtyard pool area, a garden with seating for an evening outside away from the tourist crowd and clean comfortable rooms. They have a fabulous bar that is a joy to "belly up to" for an evening cocktail or beer. I tended to take my dinners there while catching the NBA Finals. Con: Only one TV. They have an excellent restaurant from what I could see and from what I heard. I had the Reuben Sandwich at the bar a couple times and it was great! The first night I stayed there they put me in a room that smelled of bug spray, so I asked for some help with that so they sent me to a second room which was very nice, but the ceiling fan made an annoying squeaking sound, so I had to ask for some more help to get that addressed... so... after some time of a wait, the front desk gal came to my room and escorted me to a third room which was great with a king bed, clean, comfy, etc. Another night I had a room with a queen bed that was quite small but very cozy and nice for one person. I joined their frequent stayer club and after that things got really nice... got upgraded to a suite overlooking the action 3 stories down, with a nice balcony on which to watch people, have a drink, etc. This is just a nice upscale hotel. Parking is expensive... around $20 while my rooms ranged from $89 - $118 plus tax and parking. Oh, by the way, they ended up comping my first night there due to all the inconveniences I encountered. It is a couple of blocks from the Riverwalk about 1/2 a block from the Alamo .. I highly recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: Don't be bashful if your room is not correct. They do want to please you.
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank TXFARR
hectorvenegas, General Manager at Menger Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded July 23, 2013

Your comments to Trip Advisor are truly appreciated.

The ladies and gentlemen of our staff strive to provide exemplary guest satisfaction and recognize the difficulty when a guest is moved to another room. Please accept my apollogies that you were moved several times.

We were pleased to learn that The Historic Menger Hotel has become your favorite San Antonio lodging choice. We look forward to your return when your travels bring you back to San Antonio.

The Historic Menger Hotel
204 Alamo Plaza
San Antonio TX 78205

Reviewed July 18, 2013

First the pros-right across the street from the Alamo. Riverwalk is also within walking distance-but is very commercialized. It is easy to lose the fact that the river is meandering through the area because of the hundreds of businesses all competing for your attention.
The Menger Hotel is a charming historic hotel with many interesting pictures lining its lobby area hallway. The service at the front desk is good. I wanted to use a computer and was sent to the business center off the lobby area. At 50cents per minute, which I thought was pricey, I was able to check my mail etc. I tried to watch a live stream of an event occurring in San Antonio but since there are no external speakers, needed to run to the local drug store to get earbuds, so I could listen. For the money, $130 plus per night, I thought it offered average amenities at best. No coffee or breakfast buffet etc.. They want you to go to the Colonial restaurant where you can get a large waffle for $9. You are paying for the close proximity to the Alamo. I wasn't thrilled with the whole experience at the Menger. Best deal in the area:
visiting the Alamo for free. No entrance charge and a lovely 15 minute presentation was given, which I thoroughly enjoyed.

Room Tip: Ask for a room overlooking the courtyard or facing the Alamo.
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank kathy701
hectorvenegas, General Manager at Menger Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded July 19, 2013

We would like to thank you for taking the time to share your experience of your stay with Trip Advisor.

the ladies and gentlemen of our staff will be pleased when they read that our efforts toward guest satisfaction and historic preservation are appreciated.

We hope when your travels bring you back to San Antonio, you will once again select the Historic Menger Hotel as your lodging choice.

Reviewed July 17, 2013

Third time definately not the charm. Once again, and again, I requested weeks in advance a room in the older section of the hotel overlooking the original courtyard, or other room in the original section. Upon arrival around 1:30pm, well ahead of check-in, was told, nothing available per my request. Was given a very small room in other part of the hotel and was told, "this was the best available". An hour later, observed a couple checking in a room on the 2nd. floor where I was told "nothing available". I do not appreciate being lied to, thus, will not return. And, I am SO tired of getting, "we are striving to improve our service to ensure that this does not occure in the future". Well, don't worry, because you will not occure my $$$ in the future ever again.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
6  Thank Larry1962

We regret that we were not able to meet your expectations and truly appreciate you taking the time to share your experience with Trip Advisor.