“Outstanding”

Ranked #24 of 358 Hotels in San Antonio
Dallas, Texas
“Outstanding”
Reviewed July 16, 2013

Recently stayed at this hotel. The service was outstanding and made the stay very enjoyable. The historic hotel is located right in the middle of many attractions including the Alamo. Our large group had no complaints which says alot about our stay. Will recommend this hotel to others.

Room Tip: The double rooms on the newer side are larger and some have double queen beds and balconies.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
hectorvenegas, General Manager at Menger Hotel, responded to this review, July 17, 2013
Your comments are truly appreciated and we are pleased that your stay exceeded your expectations.

It is our goal to have every guest to leave with fond memories and the ladies and gentlemen of our staff will appreciate knowing their efforts are recognized.

We look forward to your return when your travels bring you back to San Antonio and teh Historic Menger Hotel.

Hector R. Venegas

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (589)
  • Indonesian first
Minneapolis, Minnesota
Reviewed July 12, 2013

We stayed at the Menger Hotel during a fall conference. The rooms were nice, clean and relatively updated for a historic hotel from the 1860s. The room service was good. The lobby was interesting, and had a strange and/or funky odor, like 125+ year old mold..., but the bar was great and the people even better. Good place to stay to get the old west feeling and it's right next to the Alamo, if you're interested.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
hectorvenegas, General Manager at Menger Hotel, responded to this review, July 15, 2013
Your comments to Trip Advisor are appreciated as it is our goal to have every guest leave with fond memories and the ladies and gentlemen of our staff will be pleased that their efforts were recognized.

When your travels bring you back to San Antonio, we look forward to being your lodging choice.

Hector R Venegas
The Historic Menger Hotel
204 Alamo Plaza
San Antonio TX 78205
210-223-4361 ext 6004
Germany
Reviewed July 10, 2013

My husband and I are moving to San Antonio, Texas in about three weeks. Since we need a place to live when we get there, we visited the city last week for househunting and to see his mom, who is already a San Antonio resident. Because the price was right, we opted to stay at The Menger Hotel. I knew nothing about this very historic hotel when I booked it. I did read the reviews, many of which seemed polarized. It seems people either love or hate the Menger. I liked it well enough, though I don't know that I'd choose to stay there again. Since we'll soon live in San Antonio, I probably won't need to.

Valet

We arrived at the Menger in the early evening of July 1st, 2013. After finding the valet, which is around the side of the hotel, we dropped off our rental car at a price of $28 plus tax per day. Although this is probably the going rate for valet service in the area, I noticed the Crockett Hotel across the street charges $10 less a day.

Checking in

Things got off to a shaky start when we checked in. The guy who was working the desk was apparently new. His nametag identified him as a "trainee". My husband handed him a credit card to cover incidentals. For some reason, the card was declined. My husband was concerned, since he had just used the card with no issues. The trainee then explained that the card wasn't being charged; it was just kept on file for incidental charges. My husband understood that, but felt like the guy was insinuating that the card was maxed out, which it wasn't. My husband may be a little sensitive; but in his defense, the guy could have handled the situation with more tact. A supervisor later got the card to work.

Our room

We were assigned room 2042, which is a room with a king sized bed. It overlooks a passageway that leads to the Riverview Center Mall and is right next to a foyer where a table and chairs are set up. We were in town just in time for a conference. San Antonio was positively overrun with over 30,000 Lutheran teens from across the US. They were everywhere... including The Menger Hotel, where quite a few of them were staying for most of the week. To their credit, the teens were mostly well behaved. There was some noise on a couple of nights, when it seemed like they were having meetings in the foyer. The Menger Hotel's walls are very thin so we could hear a lot of laughing and carrying on in the hallways. But other than that, they were no more annoying than any other very large group might have been.

Our room was pretty small and no frills, but given that it's a historic hotel, that was to be expected. There was a desk and an armoire with a television, which we didn't really use much. Two bottles of Fiji water sat on top of the armoire. Each was priced $8, which is a ridiculous price for bottled water. I recommend going to the drug store just around the corner if you want water. The room did not have a minibar or a fridge, which was a bit of a minus. On the other hand, it had a ceiling fan and the air conditioning worked very well. WiFi was also free and worked very well during our stay. I understand the WiFi had been a problem recently, so I'm pleased to report that it's now apparently been resolved.

The bed was reasonably comfortable, though the pillows and linens weren't top quality. For what we were paying, that wasn't too much of a surprise.

Pets are apparently welcome at the Menger. We noticed a few dogs staying there.

The bathroom

The bathroom was no frills. It had a tub/shower combination with a shower curtain and was stocked with minimal Gilchrist and Soames toiletries. The shower got good water pressure and most times I used it, there was plenty of hot water. In order to enter the bathroom, you have to walk up a step, which could be a problem for mobility challenged folks.

Housekeeping service

Most days, our room wasn't made up until mid afternoon. On two days, we were not left with fresh towels. One time, my husband had to call twice to get towels, which were left on our bed while we were out. The other time, we got in late and made do with the one towel that was left. The towels, by the way, are small and not the best quality. Our room also could have used some dusting. I especially noticed dust on the nightstands.

Amenities

The Menger Hotel has a lot of amenities. There's a very nice pool area which tempted me, but for most of the week, it was overrun with teens. There is also a fitness center and a spa that I didn't visit.

There's a dining room, which we didn't use, and a bar that we visited twice. The Menger Bar is very nice and staffed with good bartenders and stocked with a nice selection of Texas beers. The bar is historic; it's where Teddy Roosevelt and his Rough Riders used to hang out. There are also quite a few shops in the hotel that sell everything from clothes to antiques.

There is also a very beautiful garden/courtyard adjacent to the lobby. There are rocking chairs and other places to sit if the heat doesn't drive you back inside.

Historic!

The Menger Hotel is a great place for history buffs. I gave one of my old English professors a thrill when I posted a photo on Facebook of a plaque dedicated to Sidney Lanier, a southern poet and songwriter. There are many old pianos and other antiques in the hotel, as well as a beautiful ceiling skylight in the main part of the hotel. The lobby is also very lovely. One thing I noticed, though, was that the hotel has a weird smell. It could be because it's so very old, but I noticed our room kind of smelled vaguely like horse urine. Having spent most of my childhood around horses, I know the odor well and that's really what it reminded me of... After a few minutes in the room, I stopped noticing it. The lobby and Menger Bar also have odd odors, though not quite like horse urine.

Location

The Riverwalk is just a couple of blocks away from the Menger. It's right across the street from the Alamo. You can easily get a horse and buggy ride by the Menger. There are also plenty of restaurants and shops within walking distance.

Overall

We liked the Menger Hotel well enough. I can't deny that the Menger is very historic and that makes it pretty cool. Now that we've done the Riverwalk so many times, I don't know that we need to stay downtown again. But for those who like old hotels, I would certainly recommend the Menger. If you want luxury and modern conveniences, you'd probably do better to book elsewhere.

By the way, the Menger is supposedly haunted, but we didn't bump into any ghosts during our stay.

Room Tip: I would recommend a room away from the passageway on the way to the mall.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank knotheadusc
hectorvenegas, General Manager at Menger Hotel, responded to this review, July 11, 2013
We truly appreciate your thorough and well written review of your experience at the Historic Menger Hotel.

We are striving to improve our services so that every guest receives exemplary guest service and leaves with fond memories.

Thank you again for sharing your comments and we hope when the opportunity arises for you to stay in downtown San Antonio, you will once again consider the Historic Menger Hotel as your lodging choice.

Austin, Texas
Reviewed July 9, 2013

The Menger is a classic hotel located next door to the Alamo right in the heart of downtown San Antonio. Pros are it's location, pool area, architecture, and myriad historical artifacts and displays. Cons: It's a bit dated, some areas are a bit musty, the bar reeks, and it could benefit from some some updating with a design scheme not stuck in 1982.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
hectorvenegas, General Manager at Menger Hotel, responded to this review, July 10, 2013
We truly appreciate you taking the time to share your experience with Trip Advisor.

It is our goal to have every guest leave with fond memories and we regret that your expectations were not met. We are striving to improve and hope you will accept my sincerest apologies.

We hope when the opportunity to return to San Antonio arises, you will once again select the Historic Menger Hotel as your lodging choice.

Texas
Reviewed July 9, 2013 via mobile

We stayed here over July 4th week. I've lived in Texas all my life and somehow never knew about the history of the Menger Hotel until a friend told about it after we'd already checked in.

The hotel is full of very cool and interesting facts about its status of being super haunted. It also offers haunted tours throughout the day. There are things everywhere that explains its history including why ghosts have taken up residence there and what presidents of the US have been there and the reasons for there visits. The hotel is dated and the rooms are small but being 150+ years old, that adds to its charm.

It literally sits across the street from the Alamo and is a cool backdrop while looking out the window. The hotel also sits just across the street from the riverwalkgalveston entrance.

We thoroughly enjoyed our stay here and enjoyed getting to know the great history of this Texas landmark. I will definitely be back for another stay.

• Stayed July 2013
We would like to thank you for sharing your experience with Trip Advisor.

The ladies and gentlemen of our staff are very proud of our contribution to the history of downtown San Antonio and will be pleased that their efforts toward exemplary guest satisfaction and historic preservation have been recognized.

We look forward to your return when your travels bring you back to the Historic Menger Hotel.

Houston
Reviewed July 8, 2013

Booked a room @ the Menger Hotel for a last minute trip for the July 4th holiday. The hotel is centrally located on the Alamo Plaza & within walking distance of the Riverwalk. We requested an early check-in (Noon) & was taken to a room on the 2nd floor that did not have a good view. Martin, at the Front Desk, was very accommodating & after we returned from lunch, we were given a room on the 4th floor overlooking the Plaza. The room was small & a little cramped (about what you can expect in an old, historical hotel), but exceptionally clean. It could stand a little updating, especially the bath. The shower had a clogged drain; a maintenance team responded within a few minutes after our call to the front desk; it was taken care of immediately; the crew left the bath clean & even brought back some clean towels for our use. Drinks at the Menger Bar are generous & reasonable; the bartender was friendly & engaging. We ordered dessert from room service late one night & it arrived in less than 10 minutes. This was our 2nd stay @ the Menger & we will definitely be back. We enjoy staying in small, boutique-type hotels that have character. offer good personable service & have friendly staff. The Menger Hotel certainly fits the bill.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
hectorvenegas, General Manager at Menger Hotel, responded to this review, July 9, 2013
We truly appreciate that you took the time to share your experiences with Trip Advisor.

I was very pleased to learn that Martin, Front Desk Agent, was able to provide you with a different room when you expressed your concerns regarding the original room assignment.

Your comments have been shared with the ladies and gentlemen of our staff as reinforcement of our commitment toward exemplary guests satisfaction.

We look forward to your return when your travels bring you back to San Antonio and the Historic Menger Hotel.

Austin, Texas, United States
Reviewed July 8, 2013

We just enjoyed our second stay at the Menger Hotel. It is a lovely hotel, located right next door to The Alamo and Rivercenter; also just a short walk to San Antonio's River Walk. The hotel was built in 1859 and has been well maintained. The common areas are beautiful. The staff is friendly and helpful. We also ate at the Colonial Restaurant, located in the hotel and enjoyed both dinner and breakfast. Service was a bit slow, but when we tasted the food we could tell it was prepared for us, not just sitting on a steam table waiting for the next customer; it was worth the wait. There is a lovely, large private garden area in the center, just off the main lobby, to give you a break from the bustle outside the hotel.

Room Tip: Be prepared, this is not a "box" hotel. The rooms can be a little quirky, but comfortable...
1 Thank Michele O
It is very rewarding when a guest recognizes our efforts and we truly appreciate you sharing your comments regarding your recent stay at the Historic Menger Hotel .

We have shared your comments with the ladies and gentlemen of our staff as we strive for exemplary customer service.

We look forward to your return when your travels bring you back to The Historic Menger Hotel and San Antonio.