“Well maintained hotel”
Review of Menger Hotel

Menger Hotel
Ranked #20 of 357 Hotels in San Antonio
Reviewed June 10, 2013

It is a historic hotel, in a great location. Next door to the Alamo! Walking distance to the Riverwalk and other attractions. You can pick up a tour bus, directly across the street or a horse and buggy ride. Nice garden area and pool area. The entire staff was nice. They do have a restaurant, but we did not try it. The room was adequate, bed was comfortable. It is more of a reserved hotel (quiet). We enjoyed our stay.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
hectorvenegas, General Manager at Menger Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded June 13, 2013

When a guest takes the time to share their experience with Trip Advisor, it is truly appreciated.

The ladies and gentlemen of our staff will be pleased to know that their efforts toward exemplary guest satisfaction were met.

We look forward to your return to the Historic Menger Hotel on your next visit to San Antonio.

Hector R. Venegas

Write a ReviewReviews (2,624)

Reviewed June 9, 2013

I recently stayed at the Menger for six nights in a single room and I was very impressed by the rooms, the restaurant and the staff. I did not think it was overpriced (but I booked well in advance) and the standard of service was excellent. My room was comfortable and very clean, with an excellent standard of housekeeping. I was especially pleased that I could control the air conditioning myself - not always the case. I enjoyed the meals in the restaurant and found the staff attentive and friendly.

I hope I can go back there someday - thanks for a great holiday.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled solo

Your comments to Trip Advisor are appreciated as it is our goal to have every guest leave with fond memories.

We are pleased to learn that we exceeded your expectations.

When the opportunity to return to San Antonio arises, we look forward to your return.

Best wishes,
The Historic Menger Hotel

Reviewed June 5, 2013

Very quiet and peaceful, right in the midst of the San Antonio tourist life. We did not need a car to remain entertained for days. However the mistake was renting the car, buyer beware the Menger charges $28/day plus tax for the car.... more than the car itself BTW. I will say this for the Menger they have painstakingly preserved their heritage and original feel without sacrificing amenities we all adore.

Room Tip: Ask for the original side to feel like you really are back in the day....
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple

I would like to thank you for taking the time to respond to Trip Advisor and appreciate that you shared your experience.

Your recognition of our efforts toward historic preservation are appreciated by each of our staff.

Our valet parking fees are comparable to other downtown hotels. there are several commercial parking areas available within walking distance of the hotel if our guests would prefer not to use our valet services.

We look forward to your return when your travels bring you back to San Antonio and the Historic Menger Hotel

The Historic Menger Hotel
204 Alamo Plaza
San Antonio TX 78205

Reviewed June 2, 2013 via mobile

I booked with Expedia and paid $146 for a Saturday night. While I have no real complaint I will try another hotel. Very small room but clean. Full size bed (didn't know they even had full size beds in hotels) was a challenge for us. Linen was just so so with cheap pillows. Great location but other hotel options all around it. Just don't have a reason to go back....

• Stayed: June 2013
hectorvenegas, General Manager at Menger Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded June 4, 2013

We truly appreciate you comments you shared with Trip Advisor and hope that you will accept my sincere apology.

The Historic Menger Hotel has a variety of rooms and sizes amd we regret that we were not able to address your concerns during your stay or provide you with a different room.

We hope when your travels bring you back to San Antonio, you will once again select the Historic Menger Hotel as your lodging choice.

General Manager.

Reviewed May 29, 2013

Even though the Menger was founded around the 1890's, it carries more of a 20's to 30's feel. When you walk into the lobby you are taken instantly back in time with 30's music playing in the back ground, and a beatifull lobby.
It may seem that you stepped into a movie. Maybe a horror movie. I say this because the Menger was voted the most haunted Hotel in San Antonio. The standard rooms are a little small but well decorated, along with the bathroom, but I have never had so much water pressure at a hotel.
This property sits directly across the street from the Alamo. You will enjoy your stay at this property.
The only exception is $27 a day to park.

Room Tip: Rooms on the North side have a view of the Alamo.
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business
2  Thank PennMoore
hectorvenegas, General Manager at Menger Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded May 30, 2013

We would like to thank you for taking the time to share your experience with Trip Advisor.

It is truly rewarding when a guest recognizes our efforts toward guest satisfaction and historic perservation. We have shared your comments with the ladies and gentlemen of our staff as we strive for exemplary guest satisfation.

We look forward to your return when your travels bring you back to the Historic Menger Hotel and downtown San Antonio.

Reviewed May 29, 2013

The front desk was rude and unprofessional. I paid for a room with expedia, and i asked for a late check in with the menger hotel reservation services. I arrived at the menger hotel, the front desk clerk stated that I did not have reservations, and that expedia confirmation is different from menger. The clerk stated that i had to pay again and I refused to pay again. I requested to speak with expedia and he provided me with the phone number, and they were able to assist me with my reservations. I then observed a security guard at the front desk, and I offended that they called for a security guard, and I was with my two children. I was then able ot check in and the room was old, dirty, out dated, stained sheets, stained carpet, dirty bathrooms. I stayed for a few hours and i then checked out of the hotel, due to that i did not like how i was treated. BE PREPARED TO PAY $30.00 DOLLARS FOR VALET, PER DAY, PARKED IN A OPEN LOT. I DO NOT RECOMMEND THIS HOTEL TO ANYONE--STAY AWAY.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Dean N

We truly appreciate your comments you shared with Trip Advisor. Please accept my sincerest apologies.

We have a Manager On Property at all times and regret that we were not provided the opportunity to assist you further. We are proud of our relationship with Expedia and are pleased they were able to resolve this situation.

Please be assured that we have addressed this situation with the appropriate members of our staff to ensure that this situation does not occur in the future.

We hope when your travels bring you back to San Antonio, you will once again choose the Historic Menger Hotel for your lodging.

Reviewed May 29, 2013

We stayed in the Menger for two nights after reading reviews but were not impressed. Just because it's old does not mean it's good. Old and renovated is good but old and dilapidated is not. In the bar, which is nice the smell of Toilets was sgrugged off with "well it's old, what do you expect" this is wrong. My advise. Visit the Menger and enjoy the public spaces. Stay at a modern hotel of whivh there are many.

Room Tip: stay away from the ice machines. They are horrendously noisy.
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank IndianJonny
hectorvenegas, General Manager at Menger Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded May 29, 2013

We truly appreciate your sharing your experience with Trip Advisor and hope that you will accept my sincerest apology.

We have shared your comments with the ladies and gentlemen of our staff as we strive toward excellance in guest satisfaction.

We hope that when you are once again in San Antonio, you will choose the Historic Menger Hotel as your lodging choice.