“Menger at the Alamo”

Ranked #24 of 358 Hotels in San Antonio
Nacogdoches, Texas, United States
“Menger at the Alamo”
Reviewed March 23, 2013

Great place to stay if you plan on visiting the Alamo and go on the Riverwalk. The Hotel is located right in the middle of everything. The room were clean and the staff was outstanding.
The parking was quite expensive since it was $28.00 a night. I liked the Menger mainly for the location next to the Alamo, but my wife enjoyed it since it was close to shopping. The breakfast
was excellent, but expensive $16.00 per person.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
hectorvenegas, General Manager at Menger Hotel, responded to this review, March 25, 2013
We appreciate you taking the time to share your experience with Trip Advisor and are pleased that you recognized our efforts toward excellance in guest satisfaction.

Several commerical parking areas are available within walking distance of our hotel. AOur hotel valet services are comparable to downtown hotels.

We look forward to your return when your travels bring you back to San Antonio and the Historic Menger Hotel,.

Hector R. Venegas

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (589)
  • Indonesian first
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed March 22, 2013

My wife and I stayed on the night of 3/17 on the recommendation of a family member who had stayed there previously. Little did we know, "previously" meant the 1980's.

Lets start with the good:

The location of the Hotel was great. You are next door to the Alamo, and all the sites and restaurants of the Riverwalk. The Pool area at the Menger Hotel was nice. Not great, but nice. The pool was big. It was clean and had plenty of seating around it in the sun and shade. The Menger was the also the most affordable hotel for the location.

Now the not so good:
The hotel felt old in an dive bar kind of way and reeked of smoke. While we are are well-traveled family that generally doesn't use a hotel room for much more than sleeping, you never want to dread going to the room. This was the case at the Menger Hotel. Our room was old, dingy and small. There was even a weird stain on our comforter. I did not feel comfortable walking on the carpet with bare feet. The bathtub/shower had an array of colors from odd greens where the tub met the tile to brown rust spots on from the ceiling which had a condensation line that drains into the tub. The water in the room was $8 per bottle. While we didn't drink the water, that just seemed obscenely expensive for a 20oz bottle. We requested a crib as we have a 8 month y/o baby. The crib they brought us looked as if it was from a prison or mental institution.

While our experience was not terrible, it was not all that good. The Menger Hotel serves as a reminder that sometimes you're just better off paying the extra few dollars per night for a better hotel. We wish we had. perhaps we were put in the cheaper wing, and there are better rooms somewhere in the hotel. Based upon our experience we do not recommend this hotel.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank So_where_is_home
We would like to thank you for taking the time to respond to Trip Advisor regarding your recent stay at the Historic Menger Hotel.

As a historic hotel, we have many rooms that vary in design and size and we regret that we were not able to provide you with a different room during your stay. Our cribs meet all the requirements of child protection and safety and are purchased specificaly for our hotel.

We hope that when your travels bring you back to San Antonio, you will once again choose the Historic Menger Hotel for your lodging.

Odessa, Texas
Reviewed March 21, 2013 via mobile

We have stayed at the Menger several times over the years. It is right across the street from the Alamo & a short walk to the riverwalk where a lot of the action happens down town. Menger was built back in the mid 1800's & was one of the locations that some of the area cowboys were encouraged to join Teddy Roseivelt's "Rough Riders". Visit the bar there to see photos & articles about this & some of the history that the Hotel has seen.
The bar its self is made from dark thick wood. The floors & most of everything in there date back to when the hotel was much younger. Its a lot of fun stepping back in the past there. You can walk out to the street from the bar & walk across to the street where the Alamo is located, a must to visit & hear of the battle that helped Texas win its independence.
There are small shopes in the hotel with fun items for sale to make your visit a rememberable one. All kind of items like purses & jewelry are some of the things.
There's a antique toy store in the hotel toward the front. I have only seen it thru the windows but it looks like walking back into the past. I plan on going to that store on our next visit, looked very interesting.
Take the time to go thru the lobby & some other areas in the hotel to view some of the original pieces of western art. Some of the art I keep thinking are by some well known artists. I want to say Russel is one but it's been a few years since I have seen the art.
You get to the famous Riverwalk by exiting out the side doors going to the mall. You walk thru the mall & exit out the other end into an open area where the Riverwalk has a turn there. Many times there are music groups performing in the patio area & the river boats or barrages past by the walk. I think you can get on a river taxi there to go to a location along the river.
The rooms in the Menger are divided to 2 types. There's the older rooms built when the hotel was 1st made. They are not modern but have the charm & character that you get from historal fixtures. The other half of the rooms are more updated & modern which has it's own charm as well.
The Menger has a very nice restaurant inside that serves a wonderful brunch on Sundays! There's fruits, omlets, ham & roast beef, coffee, orange juice & the long list goes on. It's all so very good! All fresh & gourmet served & cooked. There's a lovely courtyard with flowers, trees & plants wonderfully landscaped. A great photo op area on a beautiful sunny day.
I hope you get to visit the Menger & have a chance to visit one of the historal sights that's a jewel to San Antonio.

• Stayed May 2012
We truly appreicate you sharing your delightful experience at the Historic Menger Hotel. We are porud of our efforts to preserve our history and are pleased that you have recognized our efforts

We look forward to your return when your travels bring you back to San Antonio and the Historic Menger Hote.

Chicago, IL
Reviewed March 16, 2013

PREFACE: My partner and I spent a long weekend in Austin and San Antonio. Our problem was the airfares were more expensive to San Antonio than Austin but the hotels were considerably cheaper in San Antonio. So we stayed one night in Austin and two in San Antonio and rented a car in Austin.

I wanted to stay in an historic hotel and checked out the St. Anthony and the Menger on Trip Advisor. I rejected the beautiful St. Anthony because there were pervasive complaints about the bathroom water temperatures although I realize there are some complaints about this at the Menger.

THE ROOM: Would you like two beds but in separate rooms? Try booking 3009 overlooking the pool area (it closes at 9 PM). You won't be subject to street noise. It's possible the rooms on the floor below and the floor above have a similar arrangement although I can't say for sure. I surmise this was a suite where they converted the living room into a bedroom. Both rooms have a double bed, large night stands with lamp, telephone, a wingback chair with floor lamp and ceiling light with fan. The outer bedroom (connecting to hallway) has the dresser and television along with a small writing ledge with chair. The inner bedroom has a large desk, chair and lamp, a small closet and the bathroom. Lighting is excellent. In conclusion, absolutely loved the room!! It was great because my partner in the outer room stays up later and watches TV. Meanwhile, I in the inner room, ahem, has to use the bathroom several times during the night. A standard door connects the room. The room is adjacent to an open staircase but both bedrooms and the bathroom have sprinklers. All rooms have high ceilings and large windows. A supply of complimentary Wall Street Journals and USA Todays are available across from the front desk.

THE BATHROOM: Some may have an issue here. The bathroom is small and old fashioned as is typical of old hotels. It won't dazzle you. Also, there is a high step into the bathroom that may be a problem if one has mobility problems. There was a generous supply of towels.

WIFI: This was a problem for my partner although I couldn't care less. Efforts to access the internet were fruitless and one time that access was gained, we were kicked out. So if internet access is essential, be forewarned. It wasn't the laptop. We went to the McDonald's around the corner on East Commerce Street and had problem-free internet access.

PARKING: We used valet parking for $28 a day; it was over $30 with the tax. You can self park at the adjacet Rivercenter Mall which may be where the hotel parks your car.

THE MENGER BAR: I was really looking forward to visiting the Menger Bar. It was disappointing, much smaller than anticipated. It contains a bar and tables on two levels. There is no table service; you have to get your own drinks. Service wasn't friendly. On both visits, it was difficult finding a table that was clean. The balcony is restricted to ten or twelve people but there was seating exceeding the posted limit.

DINING: The hotel gave us a coupon for 20% off for DINNER ONLY in the Colonial Room that we did not use. We had a difficult time finding a place for breakfast on a Sunday morning so we opted for the Colonial Room in the hotel. You may order off the menu only until 9 AM; afterwards it's brunch only. I recommend a reservation if on a Sunday. I was satisfied although it was an interminable wait in line to get my omelet.

The next day we had breakfast at Schilo's Delicatessen (closed on Sunday) around the corner on East Commerce Street. The breakfasts are dirt cheap. Highly recommend their pancakes. Also their bacon is baked and was nice and crispy. For dinner we enjoyed Saltgrass Steakhouse along the River Walk. AVOID The Original Mexican Restaurant, also on the River Walk. If you check out these three restaurants on Trip Advisor, you will find that my comments coincide with other reviewers.

SIGHTSEEING: Downtown San Antonio is relatively compact. We took the hop-on, hop-off double decker tour that lasts a bit less than an hour and originates across from the Menger. Recommend you stay on and don't get off as service doesn't seem that frequent. There's one leg of the tour where the bus strays from the downtown area but you're not missing much of importance on the diversion. Do the round trip and remain on the bus on the second go-around but get off at the Market Square. It's an easy walk back to the hotel.

Although the hotel is adjacent to The Alamo we never got to visit throughout the stay. It was a 2 1/2 hour wait that I will not do. Perhaps there was a special exhibit.

Hope you find the above useful.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank ChicagoKen60657
hectorvenegas, General Manager at Menger Hotel, responded to this review, March 18, 2013
Thank you for sharing your experience during your stay at the Historic Menger Hotel with Trip Advisor.

Our Colonial Dining Room Sunday Brunch is very popular, not only with our guests but many of the residents of San Antonio and surrounding communities. We regret that our service did not meet your expectations.

As mentioned previously, we are a historic property with several distinct renovations with rooms that vary in size.

We look forwrd to your return to beautiful San Antonio and the Historic Menger Hotel for another taste of our Mango ice cream. (The hostess has the receipe at the desk if you are interested or if you would like the recipe sent to you, please email suepennington@1859historichotels.com and she will be pleased to share it).

East Coast, USA
Reviewed March 15, 2013

I stayed at the Menger for a conference in February, and was joined by a relative who stayed in another section of the hotel. The rooms, while the same price, varied quite a bit in size and cleanliness. Most of my observations were of my "historic" room versus my father-in-law's more modern room.

Imagine an elderly man who tells wonderful stories, but he has bad breath and may smell a little. You try to ignore these things because he is old, and with the right attitude, you are enriched by his company. I felt this way about my room at the Menger.

The good: the property has a soul. It's beautiful and full of character. I stayed in a Marriott Residence Inn immediately after my stay at the Menger (which was planned), and while the Marriott was clean and new, it felt vanilla and sterile compared to the charm of the Menger. You want to linger in the lobby, walk around the courtyard, and gazen up at the beautiful glass ceiling of the original entrance of the hotel. There is a channel on the TV that features the concierge giving a tour of the property, which makes you appreciate some of its history more.

The location can't be beat. You're next door to the Alamo. The horse-drawn carriages were all waiting on the side of the hotel, and the Riverwalk is a stroll away. We rented bikes through the wonderful B-Cycle program (google it), and barely made use of our rental car.

I had one of the "historic" rooms -- you can easily tell if you have one because of the exposed plumbing over your head. It was one of the "single bed" rooms you see on the website. To get there, I would walk up the steps -- it felt good to hear the creak of wood under my feet.

Now, some of the not-so-good: the room was not extremely clean. There was an air filter on the floor which had not been cleaned for some time. I turned it off because part of it was clogged with lint. I had no problems with the fan or heat as another review mentioned, however.

The air was very dry and felt "dusty" -- I'm normally not conscious of the air I breathe, bit I had a nosebleed that night (I am not blaming the hotel for this, as it has happened to me before at home when the air was dry). I was very embarrassed about this, and spoke to the housekeeper to apologize. She was a gem, and her sunny and warm disposition made me feel better about the hotel again.

The bathroom was not spotless, though. There was a washcloth hanging on the curtain rod from a previous person that the housekeeper missed. No big deal, but the floor, a black-and-white tile, was more of a black and grey around the edges.

The first night I was there, water temperature was not a problem. The second and third nights (when the hotel was more full), however, the water would not stay at the same temperature, alternating between hot and cold).

The room itself was fairly small: not too much extra space beyond the bed, but was just fine for 1-2 people. The very high ceiling made the room feel bigger. I was shocked when visiting my father-in-law's room, one with 2 double beds. This room was maybe one and a half times the size, and seemed to be a bit newer.

My wife and father in law loved the breakfast, and told me I really missed out. I didn't miss out on the mango ice cream, though. It's not cheap (I think it was $19 for three of us), but the portions were large, and the ice cream tasted whipped, light, and airy. Sure, there's a Haagen-Dazs next door, but I can find that anywhere.

Would I stay again? I'd particularly recommend to someone who has not been to SA before. In my six nights on this trip, I stayed three at the Menger and three at the Residence Inn on Bonham. (This was my plan, not because anything horrible happened). I would likely do this again. The historic feel is great, but some of the novelty wears off after a few days, and you get annoyed by the water situation. Next time, I would like to try one of the larger rooms or suites to give the place another chance.

Room Tip: The newer rooms with the two double beds, while perhaps as not historic, were significantly larger...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Advisor-by-Day
We would like to thank you for sharing your experience with Trip Advsor.

The Historic Menger Hotel has the privilege of being renovated several times throughout it's history and as a result, the rooms vary in size and decor.

We are pleased to know that you spoke to the Executive Housekeeper and we have taken appropriate action to ensure that the situations you described will not occur in the future.

We look forward to your return.

Wisconsin
Reviewed March 15, 2013

My wife and I (mid 50's) stayed here March 4 & 5, 2013. We originally booked for one night. The location is very good to go and see and do... which we did. I don't have much to add that hasn't been said already. We both have bed knees and originally were sent through the maze to the far end of the hotel to the Lily Langtree Suite. We were trying our key cards when suddenly the door opened by the occupants of the room. They looked at us as though we were trying to break in. Called the front desk and they had us come back to the desk and gave us a different room. They told us "sorry". Our room, 2094, was a comfy king bed but was so small that you couldn't open two suitcases and walk through the room. We opened the window overlooking the Alamo to cool off the room. (it was 91 when we arrived) We ate in the restaurant for breakfast. I guess you should do the buffet because we ordered off the menu and if they are busy you wait a long time for your food. They told us "sorry". I went for a swim and was looking forward to some hot tub time. Unfortunately it was closed for repairs. Again I was told "sorry". The only three prong outlet in the room was in the bathroom making it difficult to plug in our laptop and the wifi was intermittent at best when it was working. (we were right above the front desk) As the 177th anniversary of the siege of the Alamo was the morning of the 6th, we booked our room for a second night with a call to the desk. What I wasn't told was it was at a higher rate than our first night. I found this out at checkout and was told "sorry". I left there feeling pretty sorry myself. On a brighter note; I filled out the response survey they sent me in email and management called to hear my concerns. After talking for a while they did offer to adjust our bill so the rate was the same as the first night. At least it was SOMETHNG positive, not just a "sorry".

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
We appreciate your taking the time to complete our on line survey and also share your experience with Trip Advisor.

I am very pleased that when you spoke directly to a member of our staff a resolution was satisfactory and regret that I was not available to speak to you directly. Thank you for accepting our apology as we strive to improve.

We look forward to your return when your travels bring you back to Historical San Antonio.

Texas
Reviewed March 15, 2013

This is my third stay at the Menger. First one I was a teenager, second I was early thirties in age, this trip I'm in my late fifties. I always love the grand splendor of the original lobby, the paintings and furniture. The Valet and other services were excellent. I love that it is across the street literally 50 feet from the Alamo property and a short walk to the Riverwalk or Riverside Mall. We took in the traveling Broadway play "Memphis" at the Majestic Theater, which was about a five block walk. Trolleys run in the area but seeing as how it was late February and great weather we chose to walk. However, we were not pleased with our room, which was right across from the elevator doors and our window view consisted the rooftop of the front lobby and a small portion of the inner courtyard. This could be because I only gave the hotel 10 days notice we were coming and I know the city is a very busy convention destination. We were told that for our Saturday 4:00pm arrival we got literally the last room in the hotel, and I believe them! We also were not pleased that we could not control the H/VAC with our room control ( I have since learned that the hotel controls the entire building) and we not fortunate enough to have a ceiling fan. It was late February but the daytime ambient temps were in the 80's. Lastly we were not pleased that the water in the shower varied temperatures by the second. Once you had hot water there was no telling if it would last a few seconds or a minute. It made us leery of lathering up a head of shampoo, really ! all in all, we have always loved the Menger, the wonderful old bar, the grand atrium and dining room, but I believe she is showing her age. The "new" section was last renovated in the '50's I believe, and it shows. Unless I can be guaranteed a bigger room with a streetside or courtyard view I won't be staying again. Hint...During our stay we checked out the Emily Morgan and the Crockett hotel on the other sides of the Alamo. I've stayed at the Emily Morgan, loved it, am seriously thinking of trying the Crockett next trip.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
We always appreciate when our guests return throughout the years and share their experiences.

As a historic hotel, with several renovations, we have rooms with various sizes and we regret that a different room was not available. Please accept my apology for the discomfort your felt.

We hope that when you are able to return to San Antonio, you will once again choose the Historic Menger Hotel.

General Manager .