Menger Hotel
$189
$53
$373
$259
Comfort Suites Alamo/Riverwalk(San Antonio)
$134
$239
$289
JW Marriott
$219
Hyatt.com
Omni La Mansion del Rio(San Antonio)
$239
Omni Hotels
2,862 results
All reviewsmenger barteddy rooseveltcolonial roommango ice creamghost tourcolonial restauranthistorical hotelthe river walkrocking chairslots of historyalamo plazarooms are smallvalet parkingthe location is perfectconvention centerwater pressurelobby
Reviewed March 15, 2013

My wife and I (mid 50's) stayed here March 4 & 5, 2013. We originally booked for one night. The location is very good to go and see and do... which we did. I don't have much to add that hasn't been said already. We both have bed knees and originally were sent through the maze to the far end of the hotel to the Lily Langtree Suite. We were trying our key cards when suddenly the door opened by the occupants of the room. They looked at us as though we were trying to break in. Called the front desk and they had us come back to the desk and gave us a different room. They told us "sorry". Our room, 2094, was a comfy king bed but was so small that you couldn't open two suitcases and walk through the room. We opened the window overlooking the Alamo to cool off the room. (it was 91 when we arrived) We ate in the restaurant for breakfast. I guess you should do the buffet because we ordered off the menu and if they are busy you wait a long time for your food. They told us "sorry". I went for a swim and was looking forward to some hot tub time. Unfortunately it was closed for repairs. Again I was told "sorry". The only three prong outlet in the room was in the bathroom making it difficult to plug in our laptop and the wifi was intermittent at best when it was working. (we were right above the front desk) As the 177th anniversary of the siege of the Alamo was the morning of the 6th, we booked our room for a second night with a call to the desk. What I wasn't told was it was at a higher rate than our first night. I found this out at checkout and was told "sorry". I left there feeling pretty sorry myself. On a brighter note; I filled out the response survey they sent me in email and management called to hear my concerns. After talking for a while they did offer to adjust our bill so the rate was the same as the first night. At least it was SOMETHNG positive, not just a "sorry".

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
hectorvenegas, General Manager at Menger Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded March 18, 2013

We appreciate your taking the time to complete our on line survey and also share your experience with Trip Advisor.

I am very pleased that when you spoke directly to a member of our staff a resolution was satisfactory and regret that I was not available to speak to you directly. Thank you for accepting our apology as we strive to improve.

We look forward to your return when your travels bring you back to Historical San Antonio.

Reviewed March 15, 2013

This is my third stay at the Menger. First one I was a teenager, second I was early thirties in age, this trip I'm in my late fifties. I always love the grand splendor of the original lobby, the paintings and furniture. The Valet and other services were excellent. I love that it is across the street literally 50 feet from the Alamo property and a short walk to the Riverwalk or Riverside Mall. We took in the traveling Broadway play "Memphis" at the Majestic Theater, which was about a five block walk. Trolleys run in the area but seeing as how it was late February and great weather we chose to walk. However, we were not pleased with our room, which was right across from the elevator doors and our window view consisted the rooftop of the front lobby and a small portion of the inner courtyard. This could be because I only gave the hotel 10 days notice we were coming and I know the city is a very busy convention destination. We were told that for our Saturday 4:00pm arrival we got literally the last room in the hotel, and I believe them! We also were not pleased that we could not control the H/VAC with our room control ( I have since learned that the hotel controls the entire building) and we not fortunate enough to have a ceiling fan. It was late February but the daytime ambient temps were in the 80's. Lastly we were not pleased that the water in the shower varied temperatures by the second. Once you had hot water there was no telling if it would last a few seconds or a minute. It made us leery of lathering up a head of shampoo, really ! all in all, we have always loved the Menger, the wonderful old bar, the grand atrium and dining room, but I believe she is showing her age. The "new" section was last renovated in the '50's I believe, and it shows. Unless I can be guaranteed a bigger room with a streetside or courtyard view I won't be staying again. Hint...During our stay we checked out the Emily Morgan and the Crockett hotel on the other sides of the Alamo. I've stayed at the Emily Morgan, loved it, am seriously thinking of trying the Crockett next trip.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple

We always appreciate when our guests return throughout the years and share their experiences.

As a historic hotel, with several renovations, we have rooms with various sizes and we regret that a different room was not available. Please accept my apology for the discomfort your felt.

We hope that when you are able to return to San Antonio, you will once again choose the Historic Menger Hotel.

General Manager .

Reviewed March 14, 2013

Pros: Perfect location; right next door to Alamo and the Riverside mall. Not far from Riverwalk. The horse-drawn carriages line up right outside the hotel. There are several souveneir and drug stores nearby for batteries, soda, etc.

Cons: Neither of our windows would open (had to call maintanence and he could only get 1 open). The fan didn't change speeds, despite 2 knobs labeled fan. Maintenance couldn't solve. The air-conditioner didn't work. Problems with shower staying a consistent temperature. The hotel doesn't sell any travel items like toothpaste, medicine, etc.

Room Tip: A room towards the inside of the hotel will be quieter at night.
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with Trip Advisor.

We regret that we did not resolve the issues that required attention during your stay and would like to extend my sincerest apology. I have shared your comments with our staff to ensure that situations of this nature do not occur in the future.

We hope when you return to San Antonio, you will once again choose the Historic Menger Hotel for your lodging.

Reviewed March 14, 2013

I guess I should have heeded the warning signs. This hotel has middling ratings ... and this certainly is a middling hotel at best. It seems the Menger is resting on its laurels as a historic hotel, but its laurels aren't worth much. It looks like there have been multiple additions over the years, and I think the "historic" portion of the hotel is only a small part of the hotel. The only thing historic about my room was the HVAC -- but more about that in a moment. Getting from the lobby to my room was a maze of zig zag passages, carrying me way back to a distant room with an underwhelming view of the rooftop and some other exterior walls and vents. The room itself appeared only half-heartedly updated . The walls were paper thin and we could our neighbors all night. But what really got me was when it started to cool down in the evening. I tried to turn off the a/c and turn on the heat, to no avail. I called the front desk and they informed me that the entire hotel is on a common system, so they have to either run heat or a/c. It sounded like my college dorm and I thought: OK, that's just a compromise with staying at a historic property. Then I woke up at 3 a.m. freezing and called the front desk to ask if they had switched over to heat, and they responded no, that it wasn't going to get cold enough to turn on the heat. It got down to 38 degrees that night! We were so glad to get the heck out of there! The funny thing is, we went over to the Crockett, which is owned by the same company, it it was great (their ratings are much better too). Anyway, if you really want to see the historic Menger, I'd say just pop in and take a peak at the atrium when you are visiting the Alamo. It is pretty, and you'll get to enjoy it without forking over a couple hundred bucks to spend the night in one of their uncomfortable, noisy rooms.

Room Tip: Go to the Crockett
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family

Your comments to Trip Advisor are appreciated.

We regret that we were not able to meet with you personally during your stay and hope that you accept my sincerest apology for the discomfort you felt. We are striving to improve and your comments have been shared with our staff to ensure that situations of this nature do not occur in the future.

When you return to San Antonio, we hope that you will choose the Historic Menger Hotel as your lodging choice.

Reviewed March 14, 2013

Look no further, the location, the look, the history...it's all there! The Menger Hotel is exactly what you'd expect it would be, a cool part of history in center of the Alamo City. I was impressed with the service and the atmosphere. Everyone I met who worked there was always smiling and extremely friendly. Best of all, they were all knowledgeable about the area and the hotel itself. The Sunday brunch at the hotel is a must and the MANGO ice cream is a necessary part of your stay.

Trust me when I tell you, this place is like taking a trip back in time. I travel all over the world and have visited many hotels and resorts - I'd put the Menger Hotel up against any of them.

Staying there is a no-brainer...if you can, try to get a rooom overlooking the Alamo grounds and make sure you make time to walk around the downtown area and take in the local culture. The River Walk is just a block away. Shopping, food, bars, it's all there. What's really cool is their own in-house bar called the "Teddy Roosevelt Bar" - talk about some serious history and ambience...if you want to visit a drinking spot off-premises, I found a cool neighnorhood bar called "The Local Bar" just 2 blocks away, it's where a lot of the locals go and the prices were amazing.

Hope you get to enjoy this wonderful hotel one day soon!

I plan on making the Menger Hotel one of my yearly locations to visit.

Room Tip: Ask for a room facing the Alamo, if possible.
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled solo

We truly appreciate you sharing your delighful experience with Trip Advisor.

The ladies and gentlemen of our staff will be pleased that their efforts toward exemplary guest satisfaction were recognized. We are also very proud of our neighbor, The Alamo.

We look forward to your return when the opportunity for you return to San Antoino arises, you will once again choose the Historic Menger Hotel.