“Location is great. Room was not.” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Menger Hotel

Menger Hotel
Ranked #30 of 353 Hotels in San Antonio
St. Louis, Missouri, United States
“Location is great. Room was not.”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 14, 2013

Pros: Perfect location; right next door to Alamo and the Riverside mall. Not far from Riverwalk. The horse-drawn carriages line up right outside the hotel. There are several souveneir and drug stores nearby for batteries, soda, etc.

Cons: Neither of our windows would open (had to call maintanence and he could only get 1 open). The fan didn't change speeds, despite 2 knobs labeled fan. Maintenance couldn't solve. The air-conditioner didn't work. Problems with shower staying a consistent temperature. The hotel doesn't sell any travel items like toothpaste, medicine, etc.

Room Tip: A room towards the inside of the hotel will be quieter at night.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
hectorvenegas, General Manager at Menger Hotel, responded to this review, March 18, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with Trip Advisor.

We regret that we did not resolve the issues that required attention during your stay and would like to extend my sincerest apology. I have shared your comments with our staff to ensure that situations of this nature do not occur in the future.

We hope when you return to San Antonio, you will once again choose the Historic Menger Hotel for your lodging.

Hector R. Venegas

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (528)
  • Indonesian first
Southlake, Texas
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 14, 2013

I guess I should have heeded the warning signs. This hotel has middling ratings ... and this certainly is a middling hotel at best. It seems the Menger is resting on its laurels as a historic hotel, but its laurels aren't worth much. It looks like there have been multiple additions over the years, and I think the "historic" portion of the hotel is only a small part of the hotel. The only thing historic about my room was the HVAC -- but more about that in a moment. Getting from the lobby to my room was a maze of zig zag passages, carrying me way back to a distant room with an underwhelming view of the rooftop and some other exterior walls and vents. The room itself appeared only half-heartedly updated . The walls were paper thin and we could our neighbors all night. But what really got me was when it started to cool down in the evening. I tried to turn off the a/c and turn on the heat, to no avail. I called the front desk and they informed me that the entire hotel is on a common system, so they have to either run heat or a/c. It sounded like my college dorm and I thought: OK, that's just a compromise with staying at a historic property. Then I woke up at 3 a.m. freezing and called the front desk to ask if they had switched over to heat, and they responded no, that it wasn't going to get cold enough to turn on the heat. It got down to 38 degrees that night! We were so glad to get the heck out of there! The funny thing is, we went over to the Crockett, which is owned by the same company, it it was great (their ratings are much better too). Anyway, if you really want to see the historic Menger, I'd say just pop in and take a peak at the atrium when you are visiting the Alamo. It is pretty, and you'll get to enjoy it without forking over a couple hundred bucks to spend the night in one of their uncomfortable, noisy rooms.

Room Tip: Go to the Crockett
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
Your comments to Trip Advisor are appreciated.

We regret that we were not able to meet with you personally during your stay and hope that you accept my sincerest apology for the discomfort you felt. We are striving to improve and your comments have been shared with our staff to ensure that situations of this nature do not occur in the future.

When you return to San Antonio, we hope that you will choose the Historic Menger Hotel as your lodging choice.

San Antonio, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 14, 2013

Look no further, the location, the look, the history...it's all there! The Menger Hotel is exactly what you'd expect it would be, a cool part of history in center of the Alamo City. I was impressed with the service and the atmosphere. Everyone I met who worked there was always smiling and extremely friendly. Best of all, they were all knowledgeable about the area and the hotel itself. The Sunday brunch at the hotel is a must and the MANGO ice cream is a necessary part of your stay.

Trust me when I tell you, this place is like taking a trip back in time. I travel all over the world and have visited many hotels and resorts - I'd put the Menger Hotel up against any of them.

Staying there is a no-brainer...if you can, try to get a rooom overlooking the Alamo grounds and make sure you make time to walk around the downtown area and take in the local culture. The River Walk is just a block away. Shopping, food, bars, it's all there. What's really cool is their own in-house bar called the "Teddy Roosevelt Bar" - talk about some serious history and ambience...if you want to visit a drinking spot off-premises, I found a cool neighnorhood bar called "The Local Bar" just 2 blocks away, it's where a lot of the locals go and the prices were amazing.

Hope you get to enjoy this wonderful hotel one day soon!

I plan on making the Menger Hotel one of my yearly locations to visit.

Room Tip: Ask for a room facing the Alamo, if possible.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
We truly appreciate you sharing your delighful experience with Trip Advisor.

The ladies and gentlemen of our staff will be pleased that their efforts toward exemplary guest satisfaction were recognized. We are also very proud of our neighbor, The Alamo.

We look forward to your return when the opportunity for you return to San Antoino arises, you will once again choose the Historic Menger Hotel.

Austin, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 14, 2013

I made the short trip from Austin to San Antonio, Texas to stay one night for a work event.
My daughter and I chose the Menger because we love its location right in the center of everything, and of course, we greatly value the historical ambiance of the hotel. When we arrived we had been place in the "newer side (about 20 yrs. old), but we asked to be changed to the "original side." The room was fantastic...two separate bedrooms...antiques..perfect. The only problem was that I could not get a "happy medium" for the shower. I tried and tried, but it went hot and cold back and forth. I felt like I was showering in Guatemala where I had experienced this...any hot water in Guatemala is good. I went to work and when I met up with my daughter, she said she had had the "best sleep ever," but the shower went hot and cold. So, it wasn't just me. I would recommend this hotel to anyone...and do enjoy the beautiful pool. Just ask for a working shower. Frances

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Your comments shared with Trip Adviser are appreciated.

We regret that during your stay the shower temperature did not meet your expectations. We are striving to improve and hope that you will accept my sincerest apology for any inconvenience.

We look forward to your return when your travels bring you and your daughter back to San Antonio and the the Historic Menger Hotel.

Tupper Lake, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 11, 2013

I had some very specific and somewhat unusual requests that I made prior to our stay at the Menger. We stayed for 3 nights Feb 26-28 2013. Before traveling to San Antonio I was in contact with Menger's Reservation Staff to discuss my needs. There were several emails that went back and forth (all my inquiries were quickly answered) and the Reservation folks said tht they would attempt to meet ll my requests. When we checked in they told me that they were unable to meet one of my requests. I was disappointed until I reached my room and discovered that the desk clerk was mistaken and they did, in fact, comply with all of my requests. The Hotel Reservations Department deserves kudos for a job well done. My room was large, spacious and well kept. The chambermaid complied with all my requests and the room was located where I requested. I highly recommend this hotel. You can't get better service than we received. I would highly recommend this Hotel to anyone. We have traveled extensively within the US and Europe and Mexico - believe me when I tell you that the Menger staff went "above and beyond" standard service.

Room Tip: Be very specific with the Reservations Staff regarding your needs - they will work hard to meet your...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
hectorvenegas, General Manager at Menger Hotel, responded to this review, March 13, 2013
We truly appreciate you taking the time to share your experience with Trip Advisor.

The ladies and gentlemen of our Reservation staff will be pleased that you recognized their efforts as they assisted you with your special requests and needs. It is truly rewarding when a guest recognizes our efforts. Your comments have been shared with our entire staff as we strive for exemplary service to all of our guests.

We look forward to your return when your travels bring you back to San Antonio and the Historic Menger Hotel.

Best regrads,
Texarkana, Texas
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 11, 2013

The pool was over-chlorinated, and it burned our eyes while we swam. The lobby and halls smelled like cigarette smoke, and the beds were old and quite lumpy. In need of a renovation. Otherwise the staff was helpful. I did not sleep a wink, don't take too well with ghost stories.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
We would like to take this opportunity to thank you for sharing your experiences during your stay.

Our goal is to promote and preserve the history of our beautiful hotel bult in 1859. We regret that you expectations were not met and we were not able to discuss this with you.

We hope that when the opportunity arises, you will once again select the Historic Menger Hotel as your lodging choice.

Midland, Texas
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 8, 2013

We stayed at the Menger for one night because it was across the street from the Alamo, which is where we wanted to go to see the famous "Victory of Death" letter written by William Travis, just prior to the fall of the Alamo in 1836. Despite a rather poor experience with the Meger in 2005, we decided to give it another try. It has improved significantly. Our room, while relatively small, had a comfortable king bed and was in good shape overall. We could not seem to regulate the A/C to make the room cooler, but it was March 1st so the temperature was livable. We didn't discover that the window opened until the next morning. Electric sockets were few and oddly placed so plugging in a charger required some effort.
The hotel lobby areas are historic and very pleasant with a nice ambience. The Menger Bar is still there but not in the same part of the hotel as it was when TR recruited his rough riders. When I asked, the hotel staff was nice enough to show us some of the oldest rooms, in the original part of the hotel. The high ceilings and tall windows facing the patio would make these nicer rooms in which to stay, if given the choice. The bathrooms in this part of the hotel, however, require a step up, as indoor bathrooms were a later addition. The hotel as a whole has lots of charm and a sense of history but I'm afraid it relies too heavily on those assets. My price was $106/night and parking is valet only at $28/ night

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
hectorvenegas, General Manager at Menger Hotel, responded to this review, March 11, 2013
We would like to thank you for the opportunity to once again be your lodging choice during your visit to San Antonio and for sharing your comments with Trip Advisor.

The ladies and gentlemen of our staff are pleased that our efforts toward historic preservation are recognized. As a historic hotel, we have a variety of rooms with different sizes due to the renoviations that have taken place over the years.. We are glad that you had the opportunity to tour the historic rooms as these rooms are very popular with our guests.

General Manager.