“A good budget hotel”

Ranked #26 of 356 Hotels in San Antonio
Chicago, Illinois
“A good budget hotel”
Reviewed April 13, 2012

Small but clean rooms. An old property. Good service. Located very close to the River Walk.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank kidcards
hectorvenegas, General Manager at Menger Hotel, responded to this review, April 16, 2012
I would like to take this opportunity to thank you for taking the time to share yolur comments with Trip Advisor.

The Historic Menger Hotel has many different room sizes to offer to our guests. We are pleased that your stay was comfortable and pleasant.

We hope when the opportunity to return to San Antonio once again arises, you will choose the Historic Menger Hotel as your lodging choice.

Hector R. Venegas

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (581)
  • Indonesian first
Turtlecreek
Reviewed April 12, 2012

Staying at The Menger Hotel was a nightmare! My hotel room was paid in full, in advance. I arrived on Tuesday to find a very filthy bathroom and foul-smelling room. Speaking with the Evening Manager did nothing to correct issues that continued to reoccur. Each night, when I would return to my hotel room, I was on the phone with the Evening Manager, voicing again, what I had already reported to him, that had not been corrected. I would return to my hotel room, to find it unclean and smelly. Again, speaking with the Evening Manager to no avail. I sprayed Febreze in my room, each day. I also had a list of phone numbers removed from my room; which is very appalling. As guests, our expectations of a clean, neat, and comfortable room, where our belongings will not be tampered with, or in my case, removed, should be expected. Anything else is unacceptable. The Evening Manager's response was, "how long will I be staying?" at the hotel. In my opinion, as if to say, "we're tired of your complaints," we will be happy when you check-out. He also stated that the housekeeper probably threw my paper away. First of all, he doesn't know that to be true, and secondly, again, a housekeeper's job is to clean rooms, not remove items from a guest's room. There is also much more to housekeeping then changing towels and making a bed. Actual cleaning should be priority. As I told the E.M., I am in Upper-Management, and one complaint by any of my customers, are one too many. Let alone numerous complaints, to no avail. I can certainly relate to the valid reviews of similar findings by other guests. Nothing teaches better than experience. Very unprofessional Management staff. Perhaps they have forgotten that without guests, they would not be in business and it will take guests to remain in business. I numerous messages with the Evening Manager, and front desk staff, to have the General Manager, Hector, phone me. I have not heard from Hector either. Hotwire phoned the front desk to speak with the Manager on Duty tonight, no one ever came to the phone. This, is the customer service that was displayed to me as well, as I would often phone, be placed on hold, then call back. I will not stay at this hotel again. I am very pleased that there are a number of upscale hotels in San Antonio; that actually provide their guests with great customer service, peace of mind, and nice, clean, and comfortable rooms. Historic doesn't mean foul smelling, dirty, or poor customer service. I would not recommend the Menger to anyone! It's great to have the opportunity to give valid reviews by guests. Valid reviews are often helpful to potential guests. I will start reading reviews, before, reserving hotels in the future.

Room Tip: Read customer reviews before booking a hotel.
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled on business
18 Thank M W
We truly appreicate your comments on Trip Advisor. Please accept my sincerest apologies.

Your concerns have been addressed with our Evening Manager and our Assistant Executive Housekeeper and appropriate action has been taken to ensure that situations of this nature do not occur in the future.

Nesquehoning
Reviewed April 6, 2012

I can't say enough good things about this fine hotel. Initially, i booked rooms at a nearby so-called 4 star hotel. Terrible experience there, so we checked out the next morning and went to the Manger's Hotel. The staff was fabulous, gave us our choice of several suites to be sure that we woud be satisfied with our selection. They were all beautiful, all very reasonably priced. Beautifully furnished, authentic historic hotel, excellent staff, great service. Perfect location next to the Alamo, short walk to the San Antonio Riverwalk, huge mall next door, lots of fun shops & attractions all around. Lively atmosphere without being intrusive, fun place to stay. Thank you to the great people running the beautiful Menger Hotel for making our San Antonio vacation a memorable one..

Room Tip: Suites on the 2nd floor near the old lobby were themed and gorgeous. We looked at several types of r...
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
hectorvenegas, General Manager at Menger Hotel, responded to this review, April 12, 2012
Your taking the time to share your experience with Trip Advisor is truly appreciated. I am very pleased that our staff exceeded your expectations and the remainder of your stay was filled with pleasant memories.

We hope when your travels bring you back to San Antonio, you will once again choose the Historic Menger Hotel.

Reviewed April 6, 2012

My trip to San-Antonio and staying at the prestigeous Menger hotel, left me with much expectations. And indeed, most of them came true. The hotel is beautiful, located across the street from the Alamo, and other turist attractions such a Ripley believe it or not. It is situated at the heart of the turistic part of San-Antionio near the splendid River Walk area.
The hotel interior is also grand with lots of photos and other items reminicensce of the glorious past. The room was very nice. The breakfast was tasty and plentiful. The service was somewhat tarded. Room service did not provide shampoo and soap bars regularly during my 5 days stay and I had to go to the front desk to ask for provisions. The small room containing 5 cardio workout instruments lacked mattresses and free weights.
The bar was nicely decorated but had a poor choice of Wiskey and beer.
For those who need absolute quite to get to sleep, the cricking wooden floors can pose a problem from the upper floors.

Room Tip: Try the second floor so you don't have to wait for an elevator and use the stairs.
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled on business
hectorvenegas, General Manager at Menger Hotel, responded to this review, April 9, 2012
We are always pleased when a frequent guest comments on Trip Advisor and would like to take this opportunity to thank you for sharing your recent experience.

We look forward to your "Fourth Visit" when your travels bring you back to San Antonio.

Florida
Reviewed April 5, 2012

3rd trip to the Menger !! Room was nice furniture was unique not stamped out like the mega chains.
The valet was very nice and helpful. I really like the feel of hotel, the garden, the great bar, pictures line the walls filled with stories. Relax just and take it all in, historic grand hotels are few and far between. Nice change from boring business travel. Walk to everything from hotel.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled on business
We appreciate you taking the time to respond to Trip Advisor regarding your delightful stay.
Your comments will be shared with the ladies and gentlemen of our staff as a reinforcements of our commitment to historic preservation and exemplary guest satisfaction.

We hope when your are able to return to San Antonio, you will once again select the Historic Menger Hotel..

Houston, Texas
Reviewed April 5, 2012

The hotel is old, but clean. The history is awesome - but not a very plushy place to stay. Takes forever to get from the elevators to your room...right across the street from the Alamo!

Room Tip: Rooms are very old and need to be redone.
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled on business
Fort Lauderdale, FL
Reviewed April 3, 2012

Menger was quite a historic experience. Room was small and comfortable, but the furnishing are in need of some upgrading while keeping in the historic feel of the hotel. They need to upgrade their towels, the ones they provide have far outweighed their life cycle and what you would expect from a franchise motel.
Don't bring a car if you don't have to, the $25 per day valet is a killer. The Colonial was great for breakfast and lunch, some good choices and reasonably priced, but limited on the dinner menu.
Easy access and walking distance to the Convention Center and Riverwalk.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled on business
hectorvenegas, General Manager at Menger Hotel, responded to this review, April 4, 2012
We appreciate you taking the time to share your experiences with Trip Advisor.

Within the next year, we are planning a renovation of our guest rooms and are excited about the changes.

There are several commercial parking areas within walking distance to the hotel. Our hotel valet service fees are comparable to downtown hotels.

We hope when your travels bring you back to San Antonio, you will once again choose the Historic Menger Hotel as your hotel of choice.