“Great Location, Beautiful Hotel”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Menger Hotel

Menger Hotel
Ranked #30 of 354 Hotels in San Antonio
Albuquerque, New Mexico, United States
“Great Location, Beautiful Hotel”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 26, 2012

Enjoyed the decor, the history, and the staff. The room we had overlooked the courtyard and was just very quaint. I enjoyed the feel of the restaurant and the food.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
hectorvenegas, General Manager at Menger Hotel, responded to this review, March 28, 2012
I thank you for taking the opportunity to share your experience with Trip Advisor.

We are pleased that you found your accommodations met your expectations. The Menger Hotel has been visited by many who are looking for the spirits that roam the hotel. Even though many consider this an important part of their experience the spirit aspect is not promoted by the hotel, but by many others.

We hope when the opportunity to return to San Antonio, you will once again make the Historic Menger Hotel your choice of lodging.

Hector R. Venegas

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (545)
  • Indonesian first
Hilo, Hawaii
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 26, 2012

Overall, my stay at the Menger was great. Location was perfect, right next to the Alamo, large indoor shopping mall and Riverwalk via the mall or a short block away. Parking was pricey but parking everywhere near the Alamo is. As mentioned in earlier reviews, this is a very well-maintained historic hotel and not for everyone. If you are in the historic wing, which I requested, the room is small with a step-up to get into the bathroom. The hotel was built in 1859 so it was pretty much what I expected and desired. As with older buildings, the elevator is slow. Thus, except for when I checked-in and out, I took the stairs. I tend not to dine in a hotel nor at chain and had difficulty finding a local restaurant or cafe to have breakfast (adverse to Starbucks). I even walked along the Riverwalk but the restaurants don't open for business until 10:00 a.m. Oh well....... My only disappointment with the Menger was the fact that it is often referred to as the "Most Haunted building in Texas." I can feel spirits, felt absolutely nothing during my two night stay there. I even requested the most haunted room. Don't know if I got one but I was placed on the "haunted third floor." There's a youtube video of a former housekeeper's floating in the hall. I actually sat there at midnight asking for any spirit to make a presence... Nothing... Spent 45 minutes there reading a book and, intermittently, trying to communicate with any spirits..... Nothing.... Spoke with the bartender and a clerk at the front desk and neither have ever seen a ghost but have heard stories. I am a true believer in spirits, however, I firmly believe that the Menger is more hype than an active location for spirits. Yes, I checked out of the Menger extremely disappointed.

Room Tip: To get the full ambiance of this historic hotel, I would definitely request the historic wing. Don...
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled solo
stillman valley
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 24, 2012

We stayed at the Menger Hotel 2-28-12 and had a very nice stay. We arrived alittle early, parked the car, and checked in. Our room was ready. We were on the 2nd floor and had a balcony overlooking the main street. The location was great, we walked everywhere...even in the rain! The room was nice but our toilet did make a noise right after a flush! Hubby and I had just gone to bed when we heard something fall over in the bathroom, investigated but everything was inorder! Maybe a former employee from years past??? We would stay here again, very pleasant staff. We love San Antonio!

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
hectorvenegas, General Manager at Menger Hotel, responded to this review, March 26, 2012
We are pleased that you took the time to share your experience with Trip Advisor.
As a historic property, we have a variety of rooms with different views and sizes. The alamo Plaza view is very popular with our guests as it is located in the orginal area of the hotel.

We hope when the opportunity arises for you to return to San Antonio, the Historic Menger Hotel will be your hotel. of choice.

4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 24, 2012

I have stayed at the Menger several times over the years and have always enjoyed it, this past weekend being no exception. But the Menger is NOT for everyone, it was built in 1859, please keep that in mind if your considering a stay. Even the "new" part is dated, I myself prefer the original section but I also know what to expect, a small room with a somewhat outdate small bathroom, floors that creak and old but clean carpet. I like that sort of thing (especially the Menger Bar which is just fanatasically dark on a hot Texas day). If it's not your style then your headed for disappointment. It is literally right across the street from the Alamo and a very short walk to the heart of the Riverwalk. This weekend's stay was in room 4020 (the old side), king bed was comfortable, older/scuffed but functional desk, side table, sitting chair, tube TV, hair dryer and lotion. Had a grand time and wished I had seen the ghost.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank furias3
We are pleased that you took the time to respond to Trip Advisor regarding your stay.

The ladies and gentlemen of our staff are dedicated to preserving the history and are pleased that our efforts are recognized.

We hope when your travels bring you back to San Antonio, you will once again choose the Historic Menger Hotel.

Best regards
Sheffield, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 23, 2012

Great atmosphere, and (with respect to my US friends) in a country where atmosphere like this is in relative short supply. As if my magic, the Alamo is just across the street. If you get the chance, you MUST stay here, really!

Room Tip: Over main square?
  • Stayed April 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank Prof_Hatman
We appreciate you taking the time to share your delightful experiences during your stay.

When Mr. William Menger and his wife, Mary built the Menger Hotel in 1859, it was just twenty three years after the fall of the Alamo. We value our downtown location and are dedicated to the preservation of the history of San Antonio.

We look forward to your return!

Kilmarnock, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 21, 2012

Let me make one thing clear right at the start - we were meant to be here on business for a conference but actually ended up not even staying here, thanks to the issues dealing with the Menger Hotel. We were travelling from the UK to attend a conference at the Menger. Due to the costs involved in a transatlantic trip we overran the deadline for booking rooms at the conference rate. However the conference organiser had spoken to the hotel and was assured that rooms were still set aside and that we would indeed be given the con rate - but we had to call the hotel to book and ask for the con rate. So I did that, only to get a flat (although polite) refusal from rep Sascha. I tried to explain that the con rate was assured by the Events person at the hotel, but Sacha had little interest or intention of either giving me the rate or trying to find out information. Why can't a rep take just a few minutes to check something? I was offered a rate of almost $200 per NIGHT instead. Incidentally the online booking system showed NO rooms available at all, so it's highly likely these were indeed the rooms set aside for the conference, except they had no intention of giving them at the agreed rate.

I do not like bad customer service. Customer service is not just about being polite, it's about behing HELPFUL and showing a desire to help customers. I am so against poor service that I refused to stay there period. An email later to the CS manager did get a back-down and an agreement to honor the rate, but by that time we had made our minds up and decided to stay in Dallas and just come down for the last part of the conference - an awards banquet on the evening of the last day. We stayed at the Hilton hotel that night after it.

But it doesn't end there. Traffic in downtown San Antonio was so bad it took us over 15 mins from the freeway to go the short few blocks to the Menger. Street parking is non-existant in San Antonio so we drove to the hotel car park, to be told it was valet parking only, at $15. We were cutting it fine for time so we took that and got into the ballroom for the evening. Dinner was a pre-ordered meal - each person ordered their food from a choice well in advance of the conference. Yet the hotel still got it wrong and started serving a beef entree all-round, when many had chosen chicken. We had to wait while the kitchen got the chicken sorted out. How on earth can you get a fixed-numbers, pre-chosen meal serving wrong??

San Antonio looked beautfiul and I'm certain it is. In fact we do plan to visit again to take in many of the sights that we would have taken this time round, but we will not be considering the Menger Hotel for accommodation. It's clear from this experience that there's some apathy there, and apathy + customer service does not mix well.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled on business
3 Thank Jim B
I would like to thank you for sharing your experiences with Trip Advisor and apologize that we were not able to meet to discuss your experiences.

I was pleased to know that a manager was able to contact you directly and regret the solution did not meet your expectations. Please accept my sincerest apologies for the situations that incurred during your reservation process and our banquet services.

We hope when your travels bring you back to San Antonio, you will reconsider and provide us with the opportunity to be your hotel of choice.

Galveston Co.
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 19, 2012

We have never stayed there so we booked a room for a family vacation. The valet service was nice but it went down hill from there. The porter said "We'll bring you bags right up!" It was a busy evening so the desk manager checked us in, he never smiled or had anything nice to say or questions about our trip like "can I help you with anything else?"...it was unpleasant. We entered out "Days Inn" (I mean drab/dull, no decor what so ever) equivalent room #5144 and waited, and waited, and waited for our luggage. After 20min I went and got it myself. I think the new (1950s) addition must not be comparable to the historic section. BTW: there was a ball of black hair in the tub and the room needs a makeover.
Anyway, I won't stay here again.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank MQM1Go
I truly appreciate you taking the time to advise Trip Advisor of your experiences during your stay.

We are excited to announce that the hotel guest rooms will be renovated and we look forward to the changes.

We hope when you are able to return to San Antonio, you will once again consider the Historic Menger Hotel.