“The Menger on both ends of an Amtrak trip”
Review of Menger Hotel

Menger Hotel
Ranked #24 of 358 Hotels in San Antonio
Reviewed October 6, 2007

I stayed at the Menger From September 24th thru 27th and then again October 1. I had friends visit me and the hotel is ideally located. The down side. The bathrooms are dated. (it took two handles to adjust my water. (oh the horror) and yes a loose shower curtain was enough for even me to call managment and request a nicer room. Some people with these 2 star reviews just seem like they would be no fun at dinner much less on vacation. I could have changed to the Marriot rivercenter for 399 but for my 155 rate i decided that I could stick it out and give the hotel a chance to show me its better side.
The upside...Amtrak station was mobbed and a concert was letting out at Sunset station so getting a cab was tricky with a walker and luggage. I called the Menger and explained my problem and they sent over a cab from their cab stand in less than 5 minutes. Check in was great and the bellman who was the only one on duty took extra time was very friendly and made sure I had everything I needed even though I checked in in at midnight.
When I did ask for a new room in the morning I explained about the shower curtain and they were falling over themselves to make sure I was happy and that I had a pleasant experience. I got a room with a private deck overlooking a gorgeous pool it was quiet. They also threw in a free buffet breakfast for the trouble of having to switch rooms. The bathroom still had two knob plumbing but was clean with marble counters and a new tile floor. I got room service in 15 minutes or less every time I ordered . (don't miss the Mango Ice cream) When I wanted to add an extra day they kept the same low rate (try that at the Hyatt) Joseph in The Menger Bar was hilarious and made great margaritas. I stay in hotels often and the beds in both rooms were a better sleep than even my bed at home. The hotel lobby and restauraunt were first class (try the schnitzell) And the Sunday brunch stunning (don't miss the San Antonio squash it is something special) It is true that the building is aging and you need to let them know if is a problem, but they seemed to care more that most 4 star places I have stayed which assume you should love them because they are four star and charge twice the price.
Maybe its a Texas thing but the Menger really did have southern hospitality down even if the 1869 building is hard to keep up with. Unless two nob plumbing is a deal breaker, stay in this lovely old charming hotel and enjoy every bit of its history, ghosts and creaky doors.

• Stayed: September 2007, traveled solo
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2  Thank Joncwawa

Reviewed September 16, 2007

My boyfriend and I stayed at The Menger 9/8-9/12 in a refurbished room (in the newer section of the hotel) and enjoyed our stay. Yes, the rooms are on the small side (our "queen" bed was more like a full), and the bathrooms aren't on the same par with those found in the larger chain hotels, but there was so much character to the place!

The hotel is literally across the street from The Alamo and within walking distance (3 blocks) from the convention center, so the location is great. The courtyard pool (supposedly the largest heated pool in downtown San Antonio) was clean and refreshing. Room service was fast and efficient, and the housekeeping staff were responsive. The Menger Bar was a treat to visit, too.

At one time (probably in the not-so-distant past), the room we had must have been a smoking room (we requested a non-smoking room). Even though there was a tabletop Oreck air purifier running constantly, we could still get occasional whiffs of stale cigarette smoke.

One recommendation if you go: Request a room that faces the inside (courtyard); our room was on the second floor, and the traffic and noise from the street/Alamo was at times quite loud at night. Also, if you're nervous about ghost sightings (as I was), request a refurbished room; I'm told most of the ghosts prefer the older section.

1  Thank kch561
Reviewed September 10, 2007

The Menger Hotel has been a "staple" for New Year's Eve for about !5-20 years for us. Also any other time we need a "San Antone " fix. There is so much to see, eat , drink and do in SA. And the Menger is in the middle of everything. The Chadeada (during Fiesta) is a truly delightful experience.. plus you have the parades at that time.It's a wonderful old hotel, with great ambiance,a beautiful old bar (even if they do allow smoking in there) and a great restaurant. On occasion we have stayed at other hotels, for one reason or another, but our favorite is still the Menger. Some of the rooms are small, as in all old hotels, but some of them are FABULOUS....IF you want old world charm and EXECELLENT location..this is the hotel for you.

Stayed: December 2006
2  Thank twinsmimi
Reviewed September 5, 2007

My boyfriend and I enjoyed our stay at the Menger while attending the 32nd World convention of Narcotics Anonymous which was held in San Antonio. I did however have a "strange" experience while I was there. I had brought my laptop to the room and when I came out of the barhroom "Lips of an angel" was playing on my laptop!!!! I thought it was strange but continued on with my normal business. Now that I am aware of the haunting it makes me feel blessed I may of had an experience from the other side while there! I would love to visit the Menger again.......

• Stayed: August 2007
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Reviewed August 8, 2007

We stayed 8/4/07. It was a wonderful birthday treat! The staff was very nice, especially Mr. Malacara who took the time to speak with us regarding our ghost encounters upon check out. Security was nice as well, and very helpful when asking questions about the ghosts. We went because it is haunted, and we were not at all disappointed. The room was nice and comfortable. We went because of the rich history the hotel has also. We encountered some interesting things, and in the pictures we took as well when you zoomed in. Very beautifully decorated. I will stay again.

• Stayed: August 2007
2  Thank minerboysgirl
Reviewed August 6, 2007

If you are thinking about staying here you have probably already looked into the historic signifigance of The Menger. Let me just tell you about my experience. Reservations through Travelocity was a breeze. I brought my sister along and before getting there we decided to stay an extra night. They extended the very nice rate of $129 even though they were at 90% capacity. and the rates for the day were $199. The check in was so quick and the room was a dream. This was one where there was a bedroom with queen bed and another bedroom attached with another queen bed. The beds were perfect. The margaritas down in the bar are sublime! The restaurant has a pretty good version of a vegetarian Eggs Benedict. The only bad thing was the valet. Don't believe them when they say your car isn't out yet if it is busy that day. We waited over an hour for them to get our car and it was sitting in front of the line the whole time. We had been told they were very busy and didn't have time to get it yet. When I asked if maybe they had lost my car someone went around the bend and found it at the front of the line (out of view) and said we should have seen it. Very rude.

Overall a very nice experience -- the last little bit was an abberation. Also we had several ghost experiences!

Reviewed July 16, 2007

This was our first visit to the Menger and we would definitely stay there again. The location is perfect for walking nearly everywhere you'd want to go downtown. With the Rivercentre Mall on one side, the Alamo on the other side and the Riverwalk a block away, it was GREAT! Our room was very clean when we arrived and kept that way our entire stay. Check-in and out was easy because of the friendly, helpful staff. Parking was a little pricey ($25/day per car for unlimited in & out valet). Overall it was a very good experience.

• Stayed: June 2007, traveled with family