“Not a 4 star hotel Room!”

Hilton Palacio del Rio
Ranked #14 of 358 Hotels in San Antonio
Reviewed August 1, 2010

Our room did not smell like it was cleaned. Bugs were all outside the patio climbing waiting for you to open the door. The patio with chairs were not anything anyone would want to sit in. It looked like it was never cleaned. Our room was right by the ice machine all night long when anyone was getting ice it echoed into our room and woke us up. The doors locked but you could see light all the way around the door. We could not sleep people were talking and getting ice all night long. The lobby was nice, parking was expensive and breakfast was even more expensive. Good lockation but I would rather stay in a place where I can sleep and not listen to everyone walking down the hall or getting ice.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled as a couple

Reviewed July 29, 2010

I was a little concerned after reading other reviews on tripadvisor, but we were already locked in at $77.nt through priceline. Let me just say that we couldn't have had a nicer trip or a more delightful stay at the Hilton. This hotel is ON the Riverwalk...walk out the door on the lower level and you are ON the Riverwalk. The front desk staff were pleasant and very helpful in answering questions and making sure our lost luggage was immediately brought up to our room after finally being delivered to the hotel. The cleaning staff was awesome! We were here for 5 nights and every morning we'd leave our room to go exploring and come back later to find our room looking like the first day we arrived. Fresh towels, all new toiletries and soaps, completely restocked coffee/tea center, everything remade and vacuumed and emptied. Ahhhh. There are so many places to eat nearby that we only ate at the hotel twice, room service for breakfast and a late dinner we ordered downstairs and brought up to our room. Both were very good. Being warned about the parking/valet fees in advance, we parked our rental in the garage around the corner on Commerce Street for $12. a day. We quickly learned that the Hilton is not alone in charging excessively for parking. Family and friends staying at the Marriott and Omni were being charged even more to park and although they had nice rooms too, were ready to jump ship when they learned what our room rate was. This old girl is a bit dated, but the cleanliness and attention to detail, the location and excellent staff, secure her place as a four star wonder.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 27, 2010

The hotel is very well situated, walking distant to most attractions (the Alamo, La Villita, the old town, the Alamodome, and the River Walk is accessible from the hotel itself. While it is not a new hotel, it offers all that you need plus some extras that you don't get in new hotels - a balcony and windows you can open(!) and a laundry where you can launder your own clothes. The pool is outdoors looking over the city, and there is a very pleasant mezzanine garden which no-one seems to use.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled on business
Reviewed July 15, 2010

I stayed here for a week-long seminar across the street at the Henry B. Gonzalez Convention Center. Location is the only thing this hotel has going for it.
1. The rooms smelled musty. The first room I checked into had two queen beds, after I requested a king bed. Small oversight, so I went back down and asked for another room. In doing so, I also hoped the second room might be a little fresher. I had no such luck.
2. The room was dirty. The bathroom was unsightly. There were public hairs on the floor. It seemed like it had been ages since anything had been deep cleaned.
3. The hotel, furniture, and amenities are quite dated. Everything looks like it belongs in the early 90s: pine colored wood bed, carpet and linens looked well beyond their useful lives.
4. I contacted both manager on duty, who informed me that there were no other king rooms they had available, so they couldn't give me another room, but they did have the room somewhat cleaner by the third day.
5. I contacted the Hilton corporate headquarters through their online messaging page. I have yet to recieve a response.
6. I paid 50% more than my friends were paying at the Hyatt, and they had much better accomodations. I would have much rather stayed at the Hyatt or Menger.
7. I have only had good experiences with Hilton in the past. I trusted the Hilton name and was really disappointed. I really wish Hilton would do its guests a favor and downgrade this to one of their other property marques. This simply does not live up to the Hilton name.

Highpoints:
1. It is right on the San Antonio Riverwalk.
2. it is right across the street from the Convention center.
3. The room was fairly quiet.
4. The toiletries are the usual Hilton fare.

Neutral
1. Parking was $20 a night, but that's pretty typical in that area.
2. Internet usage is $10 a night. You can also go downstairs to the business center and buy about an hour of time for $10, which is useful if you only need to check your email a few times a day over the course of several days. (You pay for the hour, not the number of times you access the portal over the course of your stay).

Reviewed July 10, 2010

The first 4 star hotel I ever stayed in was very nice compared to everything I had known. Great location

• Stayed: January 2009, traveled with family
Reviewed June 26, 2010

The property and staff are very nice at the Hilton Palacio del Rio. Rooms are good, very clean and adequately furnished. If you are a Hilton Honors member you get a lot of discounts...free internet, discounted valet parking, free breakfast, a discount on drinks but if you are not...Internet is $9.95 per day, Valet is $27.00 a day, you get the idea. Location can't be beat, right on the riverwalk and right across the street from the convention center. If you can afford it this is a good choice.

1  Thank Jonathan F
Reviewed June 25, 2010

From the time we arrived to the time we left the staff was very courteous and helpful. They were very receptive to our needs. The room was very nice and clean, the towels were out of this world and so was the bedding. If I needed more amenities they were delivered immediately. We were at a Vietnam Caspar Reunion and everything they did for us was exceptional. The balcony was nice and a nice place to relax in the evening. It was right around the corner from the river walk and the other side of the hotel was right on the river walk. Noise was no problem. I would recommend this hotel to any traveler. It is convenient to shops and the river walk and not far from the Alamo and other attractions. It took us only 15 min to go to fort Sam Houston from this hotel. Wonderful hotel and staff and they all smiled and took care of us with the utmost importance. Thank you Rio de Palacios