“We loved it!”

Ranked #13 of 358 Hotels in San Antonio
Fort Worth, United States
“We loved it!”
Reviewed August 18, 2013

Great place to stay for business or leisure. As a full-time business traveler for more than 12 years, I've stayed in every chain hotel I can think of. I chose this Hilton for a family vacation because I've never had a complaint about it. Excellent staff and amenities. Rooms are clean, staff is very helpful, food is good. I'd recommend it to anyone.

Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (664)
Dallas, Texas
Reviewed August 17, 2013

My then girl friend but now fiancee had never been to San Antonio. I kept telling her about the riverwalk and she said, let's go! So that's how we ended up there.

Upon arrival, I was like wow. We had to get a picture under the Hilton Palacio del Rio sign in front of the hotel. Valet guys were real cool, took the car with ease, and real smooth.

Lobby was huge. I wasn't use to the different elevator set up where you have some elevators that go to some floors and some to others. But that was easy to navigate.

I have to say this hotel is awesome! I mean, its right on the Riverwalk. Once you walk out the hotel, bam, you're right in the mix of things. You don't have to walk down the street and down the steps and so forth, it's literally right outside the door. Anyway, enough of that...rooms were super duper clean. It's a Hilton, I expect high quality from them.

We had a view of the city, I wish we had a view of the riverwalk. But you could see it from the window in the hallway, which was just as nice.

Being a HHonors member has it perks because we were able to get vouchers for free breakfast.

I'm not really big on hotel breakfast because sometimes it can be hit or miss. And to me, I feel hotels charge too much for their food and if the food is a hit or miss, I'm going to feel it is a waste of money. But we had the free vouchers and it was great. So if I didn't have the vouchers and had to pay for it, it would have certainly been worth it.

Hotels have to make their money so the breakfast wasn't just exclusive to guest. Folks were coming off the street and partaking in the meals as well. That kind of threw me off but it is what it is.

So if you're going to San Antonio and you have it in your budget to stay at this hotel...I say go for it. I'd love to stay again because I know what I like and I don't like to stray off from it too much to go explore other hotels, but it was worth every reward point we used!

Room Tip: Try to get a view of the riverwalk, much more stuff to see outside of the window.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Charles E
Reviewed August 17, 2013

Recently stayed at the Hilton for a family gathering. To make it special we stayed along the river. This hotel is an absolutely perfect location to get out and about. There is direct access to the river, the riverboat rides board right in front of the hotel, you can also get to places by walking the street (faster sometimes than along the river). Very convenient. I stayed at this hotel years ago and was very pleased with all the updates they've done. The rooms looked modern, clean, and well done. The balcony with the river view was a special touch as it was nice to sit and watch people go by. The service from check in to check out including the desk staff, bellmen, and valets was impeccable. The prices of the hotel rooms were easy on the wallet too. We ate at the restaurant for breakfast and visited Dirty Nelly's downstairs for some fun. In general, a very nice choice for places to stay on the river - close to everything, nice, modern, clean, good service, and decent prices. Nothing bad to say. Well, maybe the elevators.....although to clarify, they are great. It was actually fun to get used to riding in them after the initial panic of getting into an elevator car with no buttons! (They've updated them and they are somewhat futuristic - but always reliable and fast - you have to experience them to know what I mean!). A excellent choice for a trip to San Antonio for any occasion.

Texas
Reviewed August 15, 2013

A family member stayed at this beautiful hotel in the last week. But, I am writing the review to talk about their "above and beyond" service. My family member was half way back to town and realized a wallet was left in the safe in the room. I contacted Front Desk Director Isabel and she put me in touch with Leno in security. The wallet was overnighted and I received it today. Everything is still inside -- credit cards and CASH!

I could not ask for any more than this. My family will return again and again to this wonderful hotel.

Florida Panhandle, Florida
Reviewed August 15, 2013 via mobile

This hotel was gorgeous in every way! Everything that we saw was very updated and current (even the elevators!)! The bathrooms were amazing...loved the shoji (??) sliding glass door into the bathroom, the granite, the updated sink, toilet and tub...I could've lived in that bathroom!! Our room (with a balcony) overlooked the picturesque Riverwalk and gave us a beautiful view! The location is perfect...while on the Riverwalk, you are not over the area with all the loud restaurants, music and crowds! All the hotel employees that we had contact with were exceptionally friendly and helpful!! This hotel was very reasonably priced for all the amenities and location! We will DEFINITELY be back!!

Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Dallas, United States
Reviewed August 15, 2013

Just stayed last weekend at this newly renovated hotel that has been part of the San Antonio Riverwalk since 1968. One look at the exterior tells you that this is an older building but the owners did a fantastic job on the renovation using a beautiful color palette that is upscale, modern and reflects the local San Antonio culture. The location could not be better. You can take an elevator from your room directly to the Riverwalk. Just a few steps from there and you're at famous landmarks like the Arneson River Theater, Casa Rio Restaurant and a myriad of other shops and dining establishments.
The newly designed guest rooms are well thought out with very comfortable beds and all the amenities you would expect from a full-service hotel property. The best thing about the hotel was the excellent service provided by friendly, outgoing staff. Everyone we encountered was eager to be of help. Every service request we made was met and fulfilled on a timely basis. This property also staffs a dedicated concierge who takes time to assist you with dining and entertainment options. Our rate included breakfast and the daily buffet was excellent with cooked-to-order eggs and omelets.
We went off the Riverwalk one night for dinner and chose La Gloria Restaurant located at the old Pearl Brewery site for some authentic Mexican cuisine like what you mind find in the interior of Mexico. If you want Traditional Tex-Mex, San Antonio has many good choices. I also recommend the show at Arneson River Theater if you've never seen it. It’s a professional production at a very reasonable price and an excellent family activity.

Room Tip: This is a downtown property in a busy area. Expect to have some noise from street-level traffic and...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
BGSanAntonio, Director of Sales at Hilton Palacio del Rio, responded to this review, August 16, 2013
Tony C - Thank you for staying with us and taking the time to write a review. It is great to hear you enjoyed our recent renovations and interaction with our team members. I will definitely pass along your positive comments about our concirge team. We look forward to having you back again in the future.
Houston, Texas
Reviewed August 14, 2013

This hotel was very beautiful, I enjoyed my stay and evryone of the workers were very helpful. Philip at the front desk was awesome and a big help. I look foward to coming back to visit you guys soon. Thanks and keep up the good work :) -Selena

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends