“Hilton at San Antonio”

Hilton Palacio del Rio
Ranked #13 of 358 Hotels in San Antonio
Reviewed May 16, 2013

Overall stay was OK. Staff very friendly and courteous. Only complaints were noises from the train and people from the streets could be heard screaming at middle of the night even though I was on the 8th floor. Furnitures were also somewhat dusty. Food was OK but room service was very good.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business
Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts
There are newer reviews for Hilton Palacio del Rio

Reviewed May 15, 2013

Our stay at the Hilton Palacio del Rio was awsome and the time we spent at the Lobby Bar was great. Our server Rhonda Trevino was very welcomeing and freindly,She made us feel comfortable and made sure we enjoyed ourselves.The place to go is here.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with friends
BGSanAntonio, Director of Sales at Hilton Palacio del Rio, responded to this reviewResponded May 16, 2013

Thank you for sharing your experience with us and recognizing Rhonda! Thank you for staying with us and we will definitely share your comments with the entire team. We look forward to welcoming you back again in the future.

Reviewed May 14, 2013

In reading the past several reviews... I have to say I agree with most of the comments, although I give a 4/5 acknowledging the items brought forth by some of the 3/5 reviewers.

I've been to San Antonio once before, having stayed at the Oge House B&B and the Marriott down the road.... and for the business traveler I'm very happy with the choice. The location is excellent with easy access to the most bustling parts of the Riverwalk. The rooms are spacious, clean, comfortable, well appointed and stylish. I'm actually very impressed with the bathrooom decor and cleanliness. I've attached pics I took off of my 8th floor balcony both at night and during the day for you to get an idea of what the 14'x10' picture window and balcony affords. Typical of any major hotel chain, the restaurants are indeed pricey, but there's countless options within a few hundred yards. I've been walking via the Riverwalk to the closest Starbucks myself. My colleagues and I self-parked since the public garage the valet service uses is 3min away... it's probably quicker to get your own vehcle not to mention cheaper. But again not a surprise in a city.

I haven't seen the pool and believe it's out of service for the week, but I've used the fitness center and it meets the needs for basic strength training and cardio training. Personally I preferred to jog the Riverwalk as opposed to run on the treadmill, but either option is easy from this locale. I'd prefer to see internet access without the charge, but again, and sadly so this is where the more thrifty names lead the way.... in summary, for the location & price, I'd definitely give the property repeat business.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed May 14, 2013

My wife, 2 kids (10 & 1), my wife's parents and I stayed here in May 2013 on a Saturday night.

The location is great! Directly on the Riverwalk and just a block down from some of the best and most affordable family-friendly restaurants in San Antonio. If you're looking for some fun grown-up entertainment, check out Durty Nelly's on the bottom floor of the hotel. It's an Irish-style piano bar and it's almost impossible to NOT have fun there! My wife and I love the place and have been several times when we've traveled without the kids.

As for the rooms, we were on the 19th floor and enjoyed our view of the city. The beds were comfy and the AC worked just fine. Plumbing was good and there was not a bad smell in the room. Only minor issue with the room was the in-room fridge, which wasn't very cold.

As for the service, it was fantastic! Upon arrival, we were greeted with a big friendly smile at the front desk (Chris, I think, was his name). He was very helpful directing us to our rooms and giving us directions to nearby attractions. Just a few minutes after we got into our rooms, our baby bed showed up and again we were pleased to see a smiling, helpful staff member. Later that evening, my 10 year old starting feeling bad (allergies), so I went downstairs to speak to another helpful member of the hotel staff and was given quick and easy directions to a nearby CVS in the Riverwalk, just a couple of blocks away. We got more friendly, smiling service at the hotel pool, where the bartender served my wife a very tasty margarita. We were only there for about 24 hours total, but we had contact with 5-6 staff members and they all had friendly and helpful personalities.

The cost was a little high, but considering the service we received and the comfort of the rooms, I would say that we got our money's worth. After all, you get what you pay for.....if you want to stay at a cheap, discount hotel, then you'll likely get unfriendly service and a below average room.

All in all, I highly recommend this hotel. I love our weekend trips to San Antonio and have been there at least a dozen times over the past 5-6 years. I've never been more pleased with a hotel stay than I was this time at the Hilton Palacio Del Rio. Do yourself a favor and stay here.....you'll be glad you did! And just for the record, I don't work for Hilton and I have no ties to anyone affiliated with Hilton or anything like that. I'm just a firm believer that we need to leave positive reviews for good service, just as much as we need to leave negative reviews for poor service. They did an excellent job here and they deserve to be recognized.

• Stayed: May 2013
1  Thank Jfromtx71
Reviewed May 13, 2013

While this particular Hilton property is nice, I don't think I would choose it again. The inside is lovely and very photogenic. Our room was nice, complete with a small balcony overlooking the city and part of the Riverwalk. Some unfortunate things were having to park several blocks away and pay almost $30 for overnight (which is not really unusual for San Antonio, but I've paid less for overnight parking), and no complimentary breakfast in spite of a steep room rate. Basically, there was just nothing exemplary about this hotel except maybe the elevator system. It was very efficient and unlike any I'd seen in any other hotel. However, I'm not willing to pay over $200 a night for a really cool elevator.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with friends

Thank you for staying with us recently and taking the time to write a review. We appreciate your positive comments about our interior design and upgraded elevator system. I am sorry we did not not meet your expectations and will share your feedback with the management staff as we evaluate our future offerings.

Reviewed May 11, 2013

I thoroughly my stay this weekend. It was easy to find and Lindsey, front desk assistant, was very helpful and knowledgeable. Kudos to great service! There was some construction in the main lobby but it wasn't too much of a disturbance. Also, the River Edge restaurant had great breakfast and a great view of the Riverwalk (awesome access as well).

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank antra l
Reviewed May 11, 2013

Excellent location and despite the ugly exterior has very well appointed and stylish rooms with balconies that have a great view of the city or the Riverwalk. The elevator system is the best anywhere and super fast. Service at the front desk is efficient. The hotel bar is tiny and Durty Nelly's is really a dump compared to the rest of the hotel - I'm surprised they don't have better bar facilities. The major downside is the noise - there's little insulation so if you get party neighbors at 3am, prepared to be woken up (which I've now had on both stays). Still at a Hotwire rate of $100/night, this is still a good place to stay.

Room Tip: A lower level room with a Riverwalk view would be my preference.
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
BGSanAntonio, Director of Sales at Hilton Palacio del Rio, responded to this reviewResponded May 14, 2013

Thank you for staying with us recently and taking the time to tell us about your stay. I am glad you enjoyed our recently renovated rooms and upgraded elevator system. You will be pleased to know the hotel exterior will be painted this summer, as well. I am sorry you were not impressed with Durty Nelly's and hopefully next time you have a chance to enjoy our Rincon Allegre Lobby Bar or Tex's Riverwalk Sports Bar. We are currently investigating your noise concerns and apologize that it disturbed your evenings. We look forward to welcoming you back the next time you visit San Antonio.