“Beautifully Situated”

Ranked #12 of 356 Hotels in San Antonio
Dallas, Texas
“Beautifully Situated”
Reviewed January 12, 2013

The hotel is perfectly situated on the river and offer convenient access to everything in the touristy area of san antonio. However, We waited for about 20 mins to get valet parking upon arrival. Parking is extremely expensive. Self parking, which is awfully inconvenient, is $27. While valet parking is a whopping $39, something i would expect in chicago, nyc, LA, Sf etc..

Hotel was very busy and probably unable to provide attentive service to individual. I guess it is quite understaffed during busy seasons.

Pro:
Perfect location
Great breakfast by the river, free for gold and diamond HH
Guest services on the phone provided excellent service
Excellent new elevators, though they can be confusing for some.

Con:
FDA was understaffed
Parking problems needs to be fixed, you cant have someone waiting for 20 mins to valet and have them pay $39.
Exterior of hotel needs updating

Would chose to stay again if visiting San Antonio.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (660)
Katy, Texas
Reviewed January 11, 2013

My husband and I took a quick one day trip to San Antonio (we drove up from Houston). It was my first time to leave my son overnight, so we did a one night stay at the Hilton. We arrived earlier and tried to check in but the room was not ready, which was completely OK since we were early. They went ahead and put it first in line to be cleaned and had it ready in 45 minutes after us arriving. We had no problem waiting, we just went right downstairs to the bar on the riverwalk. When we got to our room, they had arranged for a wine and cheese try to be brought up to our room which was Delicious! They had a very sweet note wishing us, Happy Anniversary. The hotel was very clean, the front desk associates were wonderful and so nice. We watched a football game in their lobby bar later that evening and the bartender and wait staff were fantastic. Breakfast the next morning was again great. We ate off the buffet which was stocked full of everything that tastes fantastic with a small hangover... :) Overall, service was great, hotel was great, would recommend over and over again!

Houston, TX
Reviewed January 10, 2013

Excellent location, any closer to the River Walk and you'd be in the water. An older hotel dating from the 1960's, but recently remodeled in fine fashion. Rather bright night light with motion detector that comes on with the slightest movement, and then seems to stay on, and on, and on.... Elevators are state of the art. Wonderful service. Rooms on the River Walk side have a supreme view of a gigantic green water tank. Parking is not cheap, but it is downtown San Antonio. Probably the best place to stay if your primary destination is the River Walk.

Room Tip: Go high unless you are partial to giant green water tanks
Kansas City, Missouri
Reviewed January 9, 2013

We took a 5 day trip to San Antonio to see the Holiday Lights along the riverwalk. The Hilton is an excellent place to stay right on the riverwalk. We had a room with a balcony overlooking the city and the riverwalk. It is so pretty during the holidays. The hotel staff were so friendly. The hotel has been recently renovated and it showed that way, everything shiny and in place. The room was great, very clean, nice bed/pillows and the bath very very nice. My husband and I enjoyed every moment of our stay. Room service was delicious. Being right on the river was so convenient to walk to any restaurant or shop. The rio tour cruise hop on is right across river from the Hilton. The shops of La Villita Historic Arts Village is literally a 5 minute walk from the Hilton.(we could see both from the balcony of our room) The internet/wifi is a little pricey but we are at&t users and the Hilton has an at&t hotspot so we didn't have to pay for wifi. Again, the staff was amazingly friendly from check in to housekeeping. I would definitely recommend staying here! Thanks for the great service.

Room Tip: Riverside Balcony rooms on lower floors have the best views. Otherwise all you see are trees. You wi...
Houston, Texas
Reviewed January 9, 2013

My husband and I stopped here to grab a drink and catch our breath. We had excellent service at the bar and was able to rest before we continued walking down the RiverWalk. We really enjoyed chatting with the other patrons at the bar and watching the football game that was on the televisions.

Houston, Texas
Reviewed January 9, 2013

As a Diamond Hilton Member, I have stayed in hundreds Hiltons worldwide. I love the brand and it is always my first choice.

We stayed in this hotel with my wife's family for the weekend before Christmasuntil Christmas day. The hotel is in a GREAT location right on the heart of Riverwalk. The rooms have been updated and look great. However, the room was very dirty. There was a lot of dust on the furniture.

The first day I left a $5 tip in the room (I usually tip them since I realized cleaning rooms are hard work!). When we got back in the evening, after they had done the room, there we extra towels, and chocolates on the bed, etc But the dust was still on the FURNITURE. I took a picture which I am posting with this review where I was able to write the work CLEAN on the dust.

I wanted to let management know and I spoke the Manager on duty on December 23rd in the afternoon. I showed her the picture and she apologized, but her attitude was "I don't really CARE".

Oh well, I really tried, so, here is my review. Great Hotel, Great Location, Updated Rooms, But VERY DIRTY.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Reyrunner
BGSanAntonio, Director of Sales at Hilton Palacio del Rio, responded to this review, January 14, 2013
Thank you for being a loyal Diamond Member, staying with us recently AND taking the time to write a review. We appreciate the positive comments about the hotel renovations and location. I do apologize the guest room cleaning was not done properly as well as the follow through of your Guest Service Agent. We have addressed these opportunities with our management team and will use this to better train our team members. Again, thank you for taking the time to tell us about your stay. We look forward to welcoming you back the next time you visit San Antonio.
Houston
Reviewed January 8, 2013

This hotel doesn't look like much from the outside, but it's been newly renovated and the rooms are quite comfortable. Granite bathrooms and very comfortable beds. They also have a modern elevator system, which makes stopping at every floor a thing from the past. You're also on the Riverwalk, which is very convenient if you're going to a restaurant or simply want to take a stroll.

My only complaint (and it's a bit of a big one) is their ridiculously expensive (and inefficient) parking service. We had to wait 15 minutes for someone to take our car, and 25 minutes to get it back the next day - and for this we had to pay $40 (plus tip, of course).

Sorry, but I find this outrageous. Now, in their defense, a "self-parking" option is advertised (for a little less than $30), but we went around the block looking for this self-parking place and didn't find it. In my opinion, one pays for valet parking because it's easier and faster than parking yourself, but this hotel turned it into an inconvenience. And a very expensive one, at that.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
BGSanAntonio, Director of Sales at Hilton Palacio del Rio, responded to this review, January 10, 2013
Thank you for staying with us recently and providing feedback about your experience. We are pleased you enjoyed the renovated rooms and our technology upgrades. I do want to apologize about the parking challenges. Your feedback is important as we evealuate our staffing levels during busy time periods. Thank you again and we look forward to having you stay with us again in the future.