“Family Gathering---Celebrating 25 years!!!!!”

Hilton Palacio del Rio
Ranked #13 of 358 Hotels in San Antonio
knoxville, Tn
“Family Gathering---Celebrating 25 years!!!!!”
Reviewed September 20, 2012

Lets begin at the front desk. Logan was our "go to" guy and he was the best. We checked in late on Thurs Sept 13th and he was most helpful. We had never visited San Antonio before, and got there starved!!! Great dinner suggestions. VERY personable guy. Thanks Logan. His helpfulness continued on Sat. when our sister and husband arrived, her in a wheelchair. He was so accomadating, even when they got to their room and decided they wanted the river side. Thanks again Logan. Our room was very nice, very comfortable. Housekeeping does a great job. We had a higher number room, and they begin at the other end of the hall, so sometimes the cleaning is done late in day. But we were OK with that.
Breakfast buffet is to die for!!!!!! Very good. Great setting, right on the river. BEWARE of the birds tho. They WILL help themselves to your plate if you are dining outside. Brazen boogers!!!!!
LAST----but by no means LEAST-----I must mention our new found friend Sheila Beauchamp in the Sports Bar. What a`"champ" she is. She knows how to make you welcome. Feel like we've known her forever. We even had a connection from her river boat days. She is johnny on the spot with service. Knew I'd be drinking water!!! Short hitter. So much fun, such a love. Please be there when we return Sheila. Be sending you those pictures soon. Hilton is so lucky to have her in their employ. She's a rare breed.
We would recommend this location to anyone visiting San Antonio and wanting to stay right in the heart of things on the River Walk.

1 Thank Stella R

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (664)
Severn, Maryland, United States
Reviewed September 19, 2012

We stayed on the riverwalk at this hotel. It was good, but you can find better. Hilton seems to have very expensive amenities. I mean a $16 waffle or $20 chicken wings is a bit ridiculous...They charge 9.95 for wifi access. Parking is $22 self park and $35 vallet (daily). With the money you spend on this place; some of that should be included and food should be more reasonable.

The location was great and staff were professional. The hotel was clean and neat, but had a slightly musty smell in the rooms (we rented two rooms for a large group).

I wasn't displeased 100% but did feel a bit extorted if you wanted to use any hotel amenities. The Marriott down the street throws in wifi for free and breakfast. Learned this after the fact (of course).

I can afford this expense, but the principle of it is that the extorted costs for amenities are just a bit hard to tolerate.

Room Tip: All the rooms are "good" on the riverfront side... good view and scenery
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
BGSanAntonio, Director of Sales at Hilton Palacio del Rio, responded to this review, September 24, 2012
I appreciate your review of your recent stay at our hotel. I understand that some of the costs were of concern and am sharing your feedback with the appropriate members of our team. This will help us evaluate our pricing structures as we move forward. Thank you again for taking the time to share your feedback.
Nashville, TN
Reviewed September 17, 2012

There is NOTHING like walking into a hotel and being immediately greeted! I enjoyed my stay at the Hilton- Nice, modern, comfortable rooms (they even have the newer dual-flush toilets.... and I digress). The staff for the most part were very helpful and very nice. I consider this hotel to be pretty centrally located in downtown San Antonio, with the mall literally right across the street (and the airport only about 15 minutes away). I would definitely recommend, and stay there again!

Room Tip: Request River-View Side. Although the river is green, its still better than the street side!
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank Perfect T
Dallas, Texas
Reviewed September 17, 2012

I just recently spent the weekend here with my fiancee and our parents. Overall it was a great stay. The hotel has an amazing location on the riverwalk. Also, the staff was extremely helpful.

One of my favorite parts of this hotel is that they have four restaurants/bars at the hotel. The only downside is that they charge an arm and a leg for everything. A round of drinks for six people, which was a mix of beers/margaritas, set me back $60+ with tip. I felt like I was drinking in New York City. I guess this is part of drinking/eating on the riverwalk.

The only real negative of the weekend was the parking experience. The hotel offers no free parking, which I think is understandable for a downtown hotel. They give you the option of a parking garage for $22 a day or valet for $35 per day. I went with the valet simply for the convenience. It turned out to be a mistake. It took us about 35 minutes to get our car when we checked out. In my opinion, this in unacceptable when I'm paying $35 per day. If it was free or at least cheap, I'd understand, but when I spent $70 on parking for a weekend trip, I expect some quality service. I mean it's a hotel. They know exactly how many people are staying with them, when they are checking out, and how many cars are in valet. Maybe they should have a few extra people working? I mean come on rookie, act like you've been here before...

All in all it was a great trip. I recommend this place and would stay there again.

1 Thank Bigguy79
BGSanAntonio, Director of Sales at Hilton Palacio del Rio, responded to this review, September 20, 2012
Thank you for staying with us recently and taking the time to share your feedback. We very much appreciate the 95% great and will definitely share your comments with the valet team to improve the "not so much". We are glad you enjoyed your stay and had the opportunity to visit at least one of our riverwalk outlets. Best wishes for your upcoming wedding.
Austin, Texas
Reviewed September 17, 2012

Located on the bend of the San Antonio river walk, right next to the shops of La Villita, this Hilton has always been an easy choice. It just got better with a million-$ renovation of the rooms. They had been shabby chic. Now they are modern, classy, and even techie. A motion-sensor closet door turns on the light as you enter the room, and now there's a little refrig for the left-over enchiladas you'll not be able to leave on the restaurant table. A fun new feature: the elevators operate with a fast your-floor-only system. Ask and pay for (hey--it's why you're there) a river-side room, which has a balcony. The staff is amazingly friendly and helpful.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Midland, Texas
Reviewed September 17, 2012

Newly remodeled and right on the Riverwalk. Friendly staff as well. Each room has a balcony, for us cigar smokers, it is perfect. Tons of resturants close by, lots of night life. Either side of the hotel can be noisy at times, but the riverwalk side will become quite sooner.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
Tacoma, Washington
Reviewed September 17, 2012

The room is very nice and comfy. I had a room with the view of the rivierwalk and the beautiful sunsets in the evenings!! The only thing I have a problem with is the parking charges to much for self parking in the garage which you have to walk to Rain or Shine $22 on the website it said $27 on my hotel bill I was charged $35.50 which is valet parking each night. I stayed a week do the math. I went straight down stairs to get the bill re-done. I only used the hotel parking for one night and use the city's parking $12 per 24 hours, didn't need to drive anywhere everything is just about in walking distance. Then the drilling started in the wall with construction while trying to nap.....called the operator was put on hold twice then the dial tone. Called again basicly told they will be done at 7 pm and that's it. Not the perfect "10" they want you to have at any Hilton brand hotel.....I was a bit disappointed at this Hilton...As the motto goes "anything we can to.........." never happened!! I will stay at the Hyatt next time.

Room Tip: Check your bill before you leave!!!
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled on business