“Nice re-do!”

Ranked #13 of 354 Hotels in San Antonio
Fort Worth, Texas
“Nice re-do!”
Reviewed May 28, 2012

We have stayed at The Palacio del Rio several times in the past because it has one of the best locations on the river walk. It was beginning to be a little run down but a recent major renovation of all rooms have made it comparable to the Westin or Valencia's rooms. The public areas ... Pool, lobby & bar areas are not as nice as those mentioned but better location. The self parking is a little inconvenient and the pool is small and unappealing but overall very happy with the visit.
New elevators are really cool too.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (646)
Port Lavaca, Texas
Reviewed May 28, 2012

This hotel is quite old-but nicely renovated. Except for the wait time to valet park the car, which put us on the street in traffic, it was a very nice stay. If you get a river view room make sure you are on a high floor. It can get loud. Especially at night around 2 a.m.

Room Tip: Higher floors are quieter.
cleveland ohio, USA
Reviewed May 27, 2012

Hilton is right in the center of Riverwalk activity. The staff everywhere was friendly and helpful. I enjoyed being greeted in the morning by the staff at the restaurant. We enjoyed the full breakfast buffet, and skipped lunch so we could enjoy activities during the day. I needed to shp a gift, and the bell staff quickly assisted. The elevator service is outstanding; important feature in a high rise, so that we were not waiting for elevator rides. Also, I appreciate the high quality air conditioning system in the room that kept us very comfortable and was quiet, too. Right across from hotel on the Riverwalk , you can buy tickets for the river ride.

1 Thank adkmts46er
Arlington, Virginia
Reviewed May 21, 2012

A Hilton is a Hilton... but after 5 nights staying at this hotel on business they made me want to come back for fun! From the moment I checked in they were above and beyond accommodating and with zero attitude (even when I totally deserved some eye rolls, I didnt see ANY) Edgar at the front desk... Wow! What a professional! I mean, I know I was being annoying and he was awesome. He moved my room on request when I checked in and then 30 min later after they brought me and bags upstairs, I decided I wanted to be on the other side of the hotel in the first original room they had me in. I stopped at the desk on my way out that night... Edgar moved me again and the staff moved all my stuff for me while I was at dinner! The bell-hop and drive up dudes were so friendly and awesome. Housekeeping noticed I was drinking ALL the coffee and creamer left in my room and each day left me more. Awesome.

The last night we were there I ordered room service- a grilled cheese- a few minutes after the kitchen had gone on to the "late night" menu (which did not include grilled cheese)... I asked for an exception (since the kitchen was open) and the gal on the phone wasnt really authorized to do that. I asked to speak to a manager... well, I wound up getting a call from Chef Jay about 5 min later...he was awesome. Just simply calling to ask what kind of cheese I wanted... and oh, did I want sweet potato fries? Umm, yes! OF COURSE! THANK YOU!! :) All the suggested restaurants by the staff were dead on (Don't miss Rosario's- I went twice in 5 days- and if you want cheap authentic breakfast tacos to fix a hangover head to Jalisco)

The balconies are a great thing for smokers and they make such a difference when you are 12 floors up. It was so nice to have somewhere to sit outside at night. The rooms are more modern than you expect looking at the older decor in the lobby and the 70s vibe of the building. The shower was wonderful and they have very nice products. Sheets and towels are super soft and the bed and pillows are so comfy. A great location on the Riverwalk and walking distance to everything. The bar is very expensive but there are plenty of other places to drink that are within a few steps.

Room Tip: The side of the hotel on the Riverwalk has a better view but its hot in the afternoon sun on the bal...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
4 Thank cara s
bangkok
Reviewed May 16, 2012

Undoubtedly a very good location. The hotel is somewhat dated but kept in a good state. Staff is friendly but business minded. The free breakfast for the gold card having checked in with two was for only one, hence it was not used. On word of warning. The self parking is a separate identity some 5 minutes walking away from the hotel. The hotel charghes 22 dollar per night + VAT, the price at the car park building shows 15 dollars inclusief VAT. Evem with the Hilton Gold Card discount I paid 18+ dollars whilst the rack price is 15???

Room Tip: As high as possible
1 Thank Expatriateview
Fort Worth, TX
Reviewed May 16, 2012

This hotel was built in the late sixties in a primo location on the Riverwalk for the Hemisfair. Had the pleasure of staying here in the seventies for a senior class trip and truly was impressed. Next stay in the early eighties was less than memorable, as the hotel was showing signs of wear and tear. This new renovation has brought this hotel back to life!!!!! Incredible staff that upgraded us to a RW view, albeit, we were on the 16th floor and had a long look down to see the RW. Don't expect high ceilings. In the hallways, the ceiling were so low that I could literally touch the top of the ceiling with the back of my palm and and I am 5'7". I didn't expect them to be able to change the sixties structure of the place. Rooms had higher ceilings--perhaps 8 and 1/2 feet. Nice redo, but once again still had that sixties vibe. This used to be a smoking hotel and at night a slight aroma of tobacco still wafted through the room. All the paint, new wallpaper, furnishings can't get rid of that unless the hotel was truly gutted and redone from the bones up. That being said, it was a wonderful stay!!!! New decor is modern Southwestern. We opted to self park with in and out privleges and the short walk to parking garage was pleasant and a lot less hassle than valet. Really enjoyed our stay and plan to return. Suggestion to hotel management-- please provide your own business center. This one was contracted out and you had to pay per minute to use computers.

Room Tip: When you check in, ask if there are any riverview rooms available at no extra charge. Request late...
2 Thank jaimietoys
New York City, New York
Reviewed May 16, 2012

Great hotel, great location and great staff, what more could a gal want?

Living in NYC, I was not used to such Texan hospitality...it pretty my freaked me out at first, but then I got used to it. The front desk people were great when I checked in. Claudia was so sweet!!! I don't know what the other reviewer is talking about, about the hotel being outdated. The elevator system is something out of, like, Star Wars or something, really something to see. So are the touch screen monitors in the Lobby. The rooms are super modern to, and the beds really comfy.
The restaurant is pretty good too. The Chef...Jay I think was his name, really nice and helped me pick out something light for dinner. The next night I was having a nightcap after my conference and struck up a convo with the restaurant manager Eric (CUTE!) who turned me onto this nifty site with the card he gave me. I was telling him about how my flight got delayed and we shared LaGuardia horror stories. Okay, I'll get to the point. I leave, go to my room, and there is a glass of wine and some chocolate covered strawberries from him wishing me a safe flight home. WOW!
Loved this hotel. Now to do more reviews ;)

• Stayed May 2012, traveled on business