“Treated like gold!”

Ranked #13 of 354 Hotels in San Antonio
Oakland, California
“Treated like gold!”
Reviewed April 23, 2011

I had a great stay at this Hilton, and this was the first time I've ever felt like my Hhonors Gold status actually meant something! I was given free breakfast certificates at check in, a welcoming note from the manager, upgraded to a lovely room, 25% discount at their restaurants, and every time I made any kind of request it was greeted with a warm and gracious response. (Or perhaps they are just lovely and gracious to all their guests!) Special thanks to a wonderful front desk person named Leonor, who was exceptionally helpful, kind and welcoming!!
And the topper was that when I brought a convention colleague to the breakfast buffet with me (which was quite nice- it looked out on the Riverwalk and included made-to-order omeletes, lox, etc.) and expected to pay for her, the waiter absolutely INSISTED that I should NOT have to pay. He made a call to the front desk and they immediately gave me free breakfast coupons not only for that day for my guest, but for the remainder of my stay. Unbelieveable!!
The room was very quiet, and I'm wondering if that may be due to the fact that this hotel was constructed of individual concrete blocks (which you learn about if you take the River barge tour). Even though I happened to be there during the VERY noisy Fiesta San Antonio week, with parades and honking revelers in the street, there was no real problem for this rather noise-averse traveler. And as others have mentioned, the location of the hotel right on the Riverwalk means that you can step out of your room, zoom down the elevator in seconds, and step right out on into the heart of the Riverwalk and its lovely scene of restaurants, bridges, boats floating by, etc. This is a perfect location if you are attending a conference at the Convention Center or the Marriott, which are within a very short walk, as is the Alamo. Great place to stay!!

• Stayed April 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank CaliforniaGal2013

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (645)
Dallas, Texas
Reviewed April 13, 2011

This was my third annual stay at this hotel. As usual, we paid for the stay with Hilton Honors points. Everyone here on TripAdvisor seems to complain about the price for valet parking -- well, its a major tourist destination, and parking is just going to be a hassle almost anywhere in an unfamiliar city. There is a $7 per day discount on the valet parking for Hilton Honors members. If you have your Hilton membership card you can also get 25% off on food at the restaurant.
The staff all around the hotel was great as usual, and the front desk graciously upgraded us to a suite. The hotel is across the street from the convention center on one side, and the other side of the hotel is literally on the Riverwalk. Our stay on points always includes two free breakfast buffets per day.
My only real issue with the hotel is the noise at night. There is street noise of course, because the hotel is in the middle of the city. But you can also clearly hear conversations in the hall, and the air conditioning cycles on and off every three to four minutes. The A/C is annoying when you're trying to fall asleep.
Overall the hotel has a great staff and a great location, but there is a bit of an issue with noise at night.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank Traveler8899
Houston, Texas
Reviewed April 4, 2011

Unfortunately our stay was not that of the reviews or what we expected. In fact I am very disappointed. This was our honeymoon!
We are blue collar workers on a tight budget so i did 2 days of research before deciding on the Hilton. I wanted a nice, luxury hotel that had a balcony on the riverwalk. Hilton is known for its luxury! I already knew that this would be pricey and not something we can typically purchase with our budget as we saved for our honeymoon.
Arrival
We used valet parking of $35.00 a day. The valet department the day we arrived was very unorganized. The valet attendant did greet us but left us at our car and did not come back. We waited for about 15 minutes then approached the valet desk that was left unattended then walked inside for help.
Front Desk.
We were greeted and checked in but we felt very rushed. I felt our entire stay here we were rushed. I let them know it was our honeymoon where they just smiled, gave us our door cards and greeted the next guests. Just to let everyone know I was not expected people to gush over us or go above and beyond but I was expecting "something". Stayiing at this hotel made me feel overal sad in wondering if people just dont care anymore.
Room Appearance.
I expected much more in appearance for the cost but I understand this is a old hotel that is currently under renovations. We paid $317 for a double bed room with a dripping AC unit.
I will say that the girl that took our reservation, Thresa ( i believe) was awesome. She put down a special request for us to have a great view as this was our honeymoon. She left me with great expectations of this hotel. The balcony view was nice.
My compliant is that we were put in the last room on the 12th floor right above the hotel bars. I did not go to sleep till after 2am because it was so loud. You could hear EVERYTHING that went on at these bars as well as every car that went by. Our reservation agent requested a nice room and that is not what we got. I understand its first come first serve but.....
Also, I called for room service twice that afternoon by dialing 55 as well as picking the "guest services" button on the phone and no one answered after I let it ring and ring and ring to order room service and to request a menu as we did not have one in our room. We were told someone would bring one up and no one ever did so we ended up walking down to the sports bar in the hotel.

I am just really sad and disappointed that we saved this money for a pricey, luxury type hotel and were treated like we were nothing. This was such a special day to us that I wanted to try and make it special for my husband.

What bothered me and how we were treated by the staff......
I wanted to surprise my husband with a honeymoon gift so I called the front desk to see if there was any kind of upgrade i could purchase as I was told by the rep when I made our reservations. I asked if there was a honeymoon suite or another room I could upgrade to and stated we were here for our honeymoon. The clerk who seemed very rushed said "no and if there were they are reserved for the guests who actually get married at the Hilton". I then asked if I could have champagne/strawberries sent to our room as a surprise and/or are there any options like that for a "honeymoon package" as I saw on the website and he then flat out said "no" and hung up the phone. To me that was very rude.

I grew up with my mother always telling me that the Hilton was by far the best choice in hotels. Unfortunately I was let down with this stay especially since it was our honeymoon and we were willing to pay for upgrades and do whatever it took to make our night special. We are going back to San Antonio for the a week in the summer to go to Sea World and will not be staying here.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled with family
5 Thank Houston04012011Amy
Reviewed March 29, 2011

The artwork in the hotel was absolutely ashtonishing. The location is one of the best on the Riverwalk. It's within walking distance from River Center Mall, the Alamo, and Ripley. HemisFair Park is a block away. Don't bother with a rental if you're flying in. I didn't drive anywhere my entire stay at the Hilton Palacio del Rio. Concierge even helped arrange our sightseeing tour. The only bad thing was the pool was too deep for the kids ( I think about 9 feet).

• Stayed March 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank ty___hall
New York
Reviewed March 28, 2011

We stayed here only one night but found this to be a very nice Hilton. Our room had somewhat of a riverwalk view which was nice. The rooms are modern and well kept. The convenience of walking out the back to directly onto the riverwalk was the best feature of this hotel. I would have no issues staying here again in the future.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
Austin, Texas
Reviewed March 21, 2011

We spent a Saturday night here during spring break and could not have been more pleased with our choice. The location on the Riverwalk is excellent and makes it easy to walk to most local attractions. Our room on the 17th floor was extremely quiet and the bed was one of the most comfortable we've slept in. The bottled water was a nice addition. We had stayed here previously but it was many years ago - glad to find that it has aged so gracefully.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple
mississippi
Reviewed March 5, 2011

This Hilton has a good location very near a lot of restaurants and bars. Durty Nellys and Tex's Sports Bar are both pretty good - but expect to pay hotel prices.
The room seemed in good working order and the staff was always friendly. The internet is $10 per day for the slow service, but was offered to be free in the lobby. I did not get a chance to sit in the lobby to check this. Be prepared for a lot of taxes to be added to your bill - about $25 per night. This is not the hotel's issue - but, be prepared.
I have stayed at other riverwalk properties and this one was the most comfortable. The food and beverage prices are a little high - but it is a tourist hotel. The maid service was great and the room always fresh.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled on business