“Poor location, decent room”

The Inn Downtown / Museum Reach
Ranked #299 of 356 Hotels in San Antonio
Austin, TX
“Poor location, decent room”
Reviewed April 29, 2012

I reserved this hotel using Expedia Unpublished Rate Hotels to find an affordable 2-star motel near the River Walk during Fiesta. Before reserving the room and revealing the identity of the hotel, Expedia said the hotel would be in the same category as La Quinta, which it definitely does not live up to.

I was dreading the trip after reading so many negative reviews online. I was pleasantly surprised to find a normal budget room that seemed to have been updated recently. The sheets, carpet, and bathroom were clean in our room. The man working at the desk was friendly and the pool looked clean, but not inviting because it's underneath a curving freeway overpass with semi-trucks driving over.

There was a crack with sunlight coming through the edges of the door. This may have contributed to the room being hot on an April night with the a/c on full blast. It was also difficult to sleep with all the freeway noise, and I was worried about the security of my car in the parking lot. It looked like flood lights may have been installed recently, so I think your car will be fine as long as you park in the row directly in front of the rooms.

The location is not the River Walk, despite the name, and it's in the less-traveled part of downtown. It's a very long walk to the main part of the River Walk, restaurants, or any bars. The walk is scenic if you walk along the new Museum Reach of the River Walk, although I would not recommend attempting this at night. If you're going to be out at night, the motel's location is not much more convenient than taking a taxi to a freeway motel.

Overall, you get what you pay for. I would have been more satisfied if the star-rating, name, and location wasn't so misleading on the travel booking website I used. I also paid a lot more because it was the last weekend of Fiesta. I would only stay here if your trip meets the following requirements: you have found a very good deal, you're fine with getting some exercise walking, and your activities are during the day.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank chd1224

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
  • Polish first
Medicine Hat, Alberta, Canada
Reviewed April 24, 2012

Staff not friendly-argued with me about my reservation, which was made with central booking. "Confirmation not through us." Had no record of reservation. Sat in the background and called someone to tell them that they only had two rooms left-"Which one do you want me to save for you?" You know how the hair on the back of your neck stands up??? Well this was it. Was grossly over-charged for the room we received, as she would not give me the rate quoted by central staffing... No towels, dirty carpet, no wifi-even in the main office.......very little food left at breakfast....the only good thing was it was not far from the River Walk....but we drove down and parked there.Would I stay there again-NO

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple

Travelers are raving about these San Antonio hotels

Reviewed April 12, 2012

I was very nervous to stay there after all the bad reviews and even shortened my stay but had a good time mostly due to the location. We walked to the riverwalk areas everyday and visited all the interesting places in dowmtown san antonio. The hotel isn't amazing but the location is good. So I won't recommend it to people who are fussy about their rooms but if you have a low budget and want to be close to the action I will recommend it. Close also being relative- if you want to be right in the centre of things you ll have to pay a lot more but if you don't mind staying close to the highway and walking either 15 min to the hub of things or 5 min and take a 15 dollar water taxi then go for it!

• Stayed April 2012
salodging, General Manager at The Inn Downtown / Museum Reach, responded to this review, April 14, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to submit a review about your stay with Super 8 Downtown Riverwalk. We value your business and strive to provide our guests with a friendly, clean, hassle free stay. We appreciated hearing our location was a good choice for our guest. We hope you will give us the opportunity to make your next stay in San Antonio, TX a pleasant one.
Reviewed March 14, 2012

This place is so bad..im almost embarrassed for staying here.. as soon as me an my gf put our heads down there were BED BUGS everywhere! the guy at the front desk couldn't even speak english...roaches were in the bathroom an sinks...stains on the carpets an sheets..some parts of the sheets even had hair on them like if the sheets were never cleaned...plus it just generally feels UNSAFE!! Please do not go to this "two star hotel" its more like a half of a star.

• Stayed March 2012
Austin, Texas
Reviewed February 1, 2012

step on a roach in the middle of night when i turned on the lights they where all over my husband clothes run from this place

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank lcswaustin2
salodging, Manager at The Inn Downtown / Museum Reach, responded to this review, February 3, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to submit a review about your stay with Super 8 Downtown Riverwalk. We value your business and strive to provide our guests with a friendly, clean, hassle free stay. We deeply apologize for the experience you encountered. We have taken the necessary measures to remedy the situation you encountered. We hope you will give us the opportunity to make your next stay in San Antonio, TX a pleasant one.
Austin, TX
Reviewed January 19, 2012

Awful hotel! Terrible location, not even close to the main part of the "riverwalk", though it is near a part of the riverwalk where you could get robbed. Hotel itself is old, almost derelict; front desk answered only half the time when called, and when our old school TV couldn't get the CBS channel from cable, the front desk guy came in, tried to get the channel, and then said: "sorry" and didn't rectify it. There was one other car there on out last night, and I asked what the rate would be, and they quoted a price that was double what I paid per night there. I would never stay here again, and would think twice before staying at any other Super 8, it was THAT bad! I came to dispise this hotel greatly.

Room Tip: Choose another hotel - it's worth the extra money.
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
salodging, General Manager at The Inn Downtown / Museum Reach, responded to this review, February 3, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay with us here at Super 8 Downtown Riverwalk. We would like to extend our apologies for your stay being less than perfect. We are in the process of upgrading our TV's. We are only minutes from the central section of the river walk and only two blocks from the new extension and the Museum of Art. Here at Super 8 we strive to make every guests stay pleasant, freindly and clean. We invite you back to give us a chance for a wonderful stay.
Austin, Texas
Reviewed January 15, 2012

Horrible Location, nice guy at front desk, this place is in a BAD part of town, the room was nasty, bed wasnt clean, it was gritty, felt like they never washed it, The toilet leaked everytime you flushed it so the floor was wet, there was a roach on our bathroom door, and one is good enough for me, we could hear everything going on outside because there was an inch and half crack on the top of our room door, we could see the light outside, not to mention it is right beside hwy 35 so you can hear all the cars, I brought my box fan, put it on high, and you can still hear it. Our room we were in was in a dark corner, and I didn't like it. Our remote to the TV didn't work. We cancelled our reservation for the next night, and went elsewhere. We would have left earlier but we already paid and couldnt get out of it. If you don't mind these things then stay here. We left and went to the Antonian Inn, just a few minutes down the road and 2 miles from riverwalk and it was nice. GO THERE!!

• Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple