“Hotel was quite nice”

DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel San Antonio Airport
Ranked #75 of 358 Hotels in San Antonio
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed November 17, 2010

This hotel was quite nice, check in was very pleasant had free parking and very close to the airport. The hotel is a bit older and you will see areas which point this out, such as a few water spots on the ceiling in the room, however, the property still has a lot of life left and much to Double Trees credit they are remodeling and not letting the hotel go downhill. The hotel has a wonderful pool area and courtyard, the best I have seen for an airport area type hotel; it has a Spanish flair to it and is very relaxing with flowing water fountains and lots of foliage. They do have an airport shuttle and a small work out room that had updated equipment as well as a business area with free use of computers if needed. The only negatives was there were a couple bugs in the bathroom area and not really a big deal at all, I got rid of them and didn’t see any others during our stay... also the walls are a bit thin and noise in the halls were very loud at times but not too terrible to where you couldn’t sleep. The entertainment area in the room could use an upgrade as the TV’s look very old however they did have in room movies that were an option as well as the basic cable channels.
The restaurant in the hotel was good and had very friendly wait staff as well as in the bar area which was separated from the restaurant. The food was good, not outstanding but good and fair prices. There are several restaurants in the area if you decided on going out and also a large mall directly across the freeway. I was very happy with my stay, and would not hesitate to stay here again when im in the area.

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled as a couple
There are newer reviews for DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel San Antonio Airport

Reviewed November 15, 2010

Although this is clearly an older hotel it is very nice if you have a flight out, or want to schedule a conference. Of course, there are hotels downtown near the Riverwalk, but probably not at this price. There is a great deal of convienent shopping and some very good retaurants nearby. We did have a problem with the plumbing in our room, which we called on several times and they did not fix although we were there two weeks. The carpet was soaked and it may well still be. They also need to install lights in the parking lot, as someone did a smash and grab on one of our party's rental car. All in all, though it was a great place to attend a conference.

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled on business
Reviewed October 31, 2010

Very nice hotel with a relaxed Spanish ambiance. The hotel is located near the airport and is central to most of the cultural activities within the city. The rooms are well maintained and clean. Highly recommend.

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 25, 2010

Recently stayed at the Doubletree Airport.
Pros: Loved the Southwestern/Mexican style decor with saltillo tiles and balconies.
Bed was comfortable
Cookie given upon checkout is good
Desk staff very helpful
TV is good - probably need more channels
Nice size room and bathroom
Everything appeared to be clean
Really good rate (below $100)

Cons:
No free internet in rooms
Was supposed to have robe in room - had put this on my request - no robe - asked housekeeping staff who promptly brought one
No fridge or microwave in room - I had asked for microwave and mini-fridge if possible and if available - when I checked in the desk clerk said they would be delivered - they never were and I was too tired from being in town to ask later
Air conditioning vent made noise
Not enough handicap parking spaces - they were all full and I had to park quite a distance from the door

Overall I like this Hotel - though it could use a little updating with newer carpet.
I would stay there again - especially if rates are still under $100.

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled on business
Reviewed July 31, 2010

We were at your Hotel for 6 days for a Family Reunion in July. When we checked in my room smelled (mold, carpet dirty). I could not breathe. I had runny nose and kept sneezing. There were crickets everywhere and mosquitos. I do not expect crickets in my hotel room and when I complained to the front dest, they told me "that's the way it is in TX" I told her I am sorry but I don't accept that. We checked out after one night to a nearyby hotel who did not have crickets (still in TX). Sorry but I am from SC and we do not treat our visitors like that. This was our first visit to a Double Tree Hotel and the last one also. I was not the only family member that complained, about 6-8 were very unhappy with the rooms but did not check out because they had kids and older ones with them and that would have been a lot to pack up and move them. Oh by the way, the cookies were "Awesome." Thank You, Gloria from SC

Stayed: July 2010
Reviewed July 30, 2010

Our family reunion was at this hotel July 2010. The mosquitos and crickets were awful. The bathrooms contained much mold & mildew on the ceilings and cracks. Dead crickets were all in the lobby area. Overall, the hotel was not clean. The pool in located in the courtyard and debris from flowers/trees was in the pool.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled with family
Reviewed July 20, 2010

Arrived after a 18 hour drive and checked in to a suite with an adjoining door. Went up to see the rooms and whoa!!! what a smell and then the carpet was severely stained. I immediately requested another suite but was told there were none available. Hmmmn, I wondered why that particular one was (maybe the occupants of the other suites had been given the same room). The night manager offered us two other rooms but we thought we'd give the rooms another try.

So we go to sleep after they used Febreeze to kill the odor and after waking the next morning, my father-in-law complained about his back hurting after sleeping on the pull out sofa bed. I looked at it and the matress was only 4 inches thick. My father-in-law is 78 years old and didn't want to complain but I immediately went down and requested two rooms. We were given what we requested by the general manager and had our luggage moved into the new rooms by some of the staff. We are now enjoying the rooms and everything seems to be working like it should.

I'll give the managers an A+ for the way they handled our complaints but the owners of the hotel need to remodel some of the rooms especially rooms 304 and 306. They are terrible and had crickets in the rooms, the shower handle loose, and the door room refrigerator was outdated and in need of replacement.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled with family