“Awesome Wedding Venue”

DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel San Antonio Airport
Ranked #76 of 357 Hotels in San Antonio
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed June 12, 2010

Being professional photographers, we always look forward to handling a wedding at what used to be the old "La Mansion del Norte", because of all the beautiful archways in the atrium. Wedding venues all follow the same process but we were pleasantly surprised with three details that stood out...punctuality, great hot food, and excellent service. Starting with the punctuality and service, we can only attribute it to Michelle Platt's (wedding coordinator at the Doubletree) attitude towards making sure that Amanda and Louis' wedding flowed without a hitch. Many a times we see a disconnect between the staff and the person running the show but in this case everyone worked as a team with an attention to detail that we very rarely see. I kept giving the waitperson, handling our table a hard time since I love coffee (their coffee is delicious...btw) and I would make a dash to the urn on the tray before she had a chance to see if my cup was empty (she was always one step ahead). Since we are constantly looking for photographic moments, we station ourselves in one place so that we can make sure we are ready. Every time we came back to our table, my cup was full and not taken away.
As far as the food, the salads were crisp, the main dish was hot, and all the guests were served in record time. We very rarely see this also in large wedding events.
If you are a bride, looking for a venue that has its act together, we highly recommend that you give the Doubletree a serious look. Make sure you ask for Michelle...she will go above and beyond to making sure your special day flows without a hitch. After all, it is not often you will find a person who will spend the time to go out and buy a pair of tennis shoes (she is constantly on her feet all night) that will match the colors that you, the bride, have selected for your day !

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled on business
2  Thank rsbwebmaster
Write a ReviewReviews (1,198)

Reviewed April 23, 2010

Rooms are ok.
Good location and convenient near the airport.
Has a small bar with good food but its kitchen closes at 11, bar is good to unwind.

Front desk staff can be very helpful and accommodating, or just not give a dam; depending on who you run into at the front desk.

Big )++ for the outstanding shuttle staff willing to go the extra mile.

BTW, rooms have paper thin walls and you can hear the conversations of people in the next room... and more. :)

Room service was prompt and on the dot.

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled on business
Tavoluna, Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel San Antonio Airport, responded to this reviewResponded May 18, 2010

Dear lalotp,

Thank you so much for your honest feedback. This review has been used already to show our new associates at the Front Desk the importance of being attentive and efficient and to exemplify a caring attitutude.
I appreciate the time you took to write about your stay and point out some areas where we may improve. In the future if there is anything our staff or I can do to make your stay a "10" please be sure to let us know.

At your service,

Gus Luna, GM

Reviewed April 7, 2010

It's tough to get to because you can't get there from 410 you have to bypass and go around the block. THe hotel bills itself as a 3 1/2 star but it needs updating. I understand it is supposed to look rustic but there are places it looked too rustic. The rooms were OK but a little small. I have stayed here before and it's the same. Don't get me wrong it's nice but great. I'd stay here again

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled with family
Reviewed March 20, 2010

After being on the road for 15 hours, we finally pulled in to our Hotel parking lot. It was very refreshing getting out of the car and smelling the beautiful lilacs scattered around the parking lot. There was also plenty of parking, which was a real plus because all we wanted to do was get out of the car, get into our room, shower and sleep. However, it went downhill after we got to the front doors. There was no bellman to open the doors, which normally is fine, but we had a ton of luggage. Could we have made more trips back to the car? Yes, but who wants to do that? No bellman present, fine, I can deal with that. We walked up to the front desk and the front desk person, Christine or Christina, just stood there looking at us like a bump on a log. No welcome, no good morning, not even a hello. My sister and I just looked at each other like...okayyyy...I had to initiate the conversation by say "We have a reservation". Still no smile, no welcome. Christine replied with "your name?" very curtly like we interrupted her morning by arriving. I'm sorry you had to work. Then I noticed that her nails were done a vibrant and tacky blue. I also noticed a nose stud in her nose. Really? She then had me sign a paper, she gave me the room key, told us third floor and walked off. No, have a nice stay, or elevators are right there, or let me know if there is anything I can do for you. I'm sure the Motel 6 would have better service. The room was pretty nice and had a great view of the pool yard. The balcony was nice because I could have the door open and listen to the fountain. The beds were WONDERFUL! I typically do not like feather pillows, but these were like heaven. The room was very clean as well. I did notice mold on the bathroom ceiling along with cigarette grime built up. I thought it was a non smoking room. The wall between the tub and toilet was also moldy and warped and the paper was peeling. I checked out the next day. And I must add, we needed more towels and we called housekeeping, they had fresh towels up within 5 minutes. I loved that. We arrived at the hotel at 7 am and the housekeeping staff were very loud with their radios and going in and out of rooms. You could hear the carts hitting walls or doors. I just wanted to sleep and kept getting woken up by housekeeping. It made me super cranky. The hotel is in a great location near the airport and you can have several casual dining options that you can walk to. If you are just looking for a good nights rest in a wonderful bed, this is the place for you. If Christine is working, don't expect much of a reception. I was very disappointed.

• Stayed: March 2010
Tavoluna, manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel San Antonio Airport, responded to this reviewResponded March 29, 2010

Dear guest,

I am terribly sorry that you did not have a good reception during your last visit to our hotel. We certainly would not want the isolated actions of one of our assocaites to hinder the rest of your stay and your assesement of our hotel. I appreciate your feedback and will certainly make the necesary corrections so future guest may have a better experience. If you are back with us please know that our management staff is here to help you and assist you with any and all concerns.

Gus Luna,

Reviewed February 4, 2010

We enjoyed our stay this time around.....room was on the 5th floor - concierge level. Only complaint I had were the pillows were way too soft!!

• Stayed: January 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 17, 2010

First of all I got this great rate when I bid for a room on Priceline. It was a great value for the price. This is a smaller hotel but seems to have most of the major amenities. They even have a Security Guard in the evenings. They where very friendly and where there every time I went in and out of the hotel. The Bed was comfortable. I slept like a rock! The sheets where crisp and soft! This is almost the most important thing to me. The room was pretty much clean. I think that they need to dust the floorboards and in the corners but hey, oh well. I was able to park close to the front door ... like that! It was easy to find. The room literature said that you have to pay for the Internet access in the room, but I tried to anyway with my laptop and didn't have to use an access code, so ... that is GREAT! I think that it is stupid to have to pay extra for it. Heck the Best Western down the street advertized FREE access. The staff was nice but ... TO THE HOTEL OPERATOR - The TGI Fridays was old and smelled. If one of your guests calls down to find out where to watch a sporting event somewhere outside the hotel DO NOT TELL THEM TO GO THERE. I do not know San Antonio, and thank god I spotted that there was a Mall accross the freeway. We went there instead. Learn the area would ya! BUT all and all I enjoyed my stay and I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: January 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed December 28, 2009

I really liked this hotel when I first checked in. The front desk staff was friendly and welcoming and I thought the decor was quite nice for a Doubletree. The room we were assigned was spacious and the bed was comfortable. I did not have a chance to use it, but the pool looked like fun.

Anyway... I stayed at this hotel because of its proximity to the airport, as I had a 7:00am flight out of San Antonio the next morning. I asked for information on the shuttle as I checked in. The front desk agent stated that we should be in the lobby just 15 minutes before we wanted to be at the airport, as it is just a few minutes away. In the morning, I went downstairs 15 minutes before I needed to be at the airport. The front desk agent called the shuttle driver multiple times and could not get in touch with him. The shuttle was parked in front of the hotel, so it was just a matter of the driver coming to the lobby. It took FOREVER. The front desk agent was so nice - even offered to pay for a cab! In the end, we had to wait in the lobby for 30 minutes to get the shuttle and were at the airport about 40 minutes from the time we arrived in the lobby. I was livid and almost missed my flight! Granted, one might suggest I pad some extra time to get to the airport, but my reason for staying at an airport hotel was so that I could sleep in a bit. It was just so frustrating!

All in all, my experience with the airport shuttle was a real damper on my experience with this hotel. Otherwise, I would have rated the property much higher. Bottom line: If you are an airport hotel, make sure your shuttle is running on time.

• Stayed: December 2009, traveled as a couple