“Pleasant Stay, Fantastic Courtyard”

DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel San Antonio Airport
Ranked #70 of 358 Hotels in San Antonio
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed April 18, 2014

We had a pleasant stay at the San Antonio DoubleTree in April 2014. The room was quiet and clean. My only complaint was the lack of sunlight due to a single poorly-placed window. The hotel has a fantastic courtyard which is open all night. It was very pleasant to sit outside and visit with friends under an open sky.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled with friends
Review collected in partnership with DoubleTree by Hilton
Kym M, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel San Antonio Airport, responded to this reviewResponded April 19, 2014

Hello Adam T,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review on TripAdvisor after your recent stay with us. We appreciate your feedback as it assists us with improving our hotel.

We are happy to learn of your enjoyable stay with us and we also agree that our courtyard is one of the great assets to our hotel. It definitely does not feel like a hotel that is as close to the airport as we are. If you can think of anything additional that would have made your stay more enjoyable, please email or call me at my contact information below. We value your feedback.

Thank you again for writing a review on our hotel. We look forward to seeing you again the next time you need accommodations in San Antonio.

210.321.4801 (direct)

Write a ReviewReviews (1,218)

Reviewed April 17, 2014

RATING: POOR TO AVERAGE 2.5 RATING: I booked a King room with Atrium view online through Hilton Honors website with AAA discount ( room rate quote was $88.40). I specifically chose this hotel because it was pet friendly and the Hilton Honors website made no mention of a pet fee. Upon check in the front desk clerk stated there was a non-refundable pet fee of $75.00 per stay. I argued that the fee was not disclosed on Hilton Honors website and the clerk offered to reduce the fee to $50.00. I signed the hotel's "Pet Policy" form and made a notation that fee was not disclosed and asked for a copy so I could bring it up with Hilton Honors customer service. We received keys to our room and were erroneously given a non-Atrium view room (a lower cost room). I went back to the front desk and pointed out the mistake to the desk clerk and she gave us the correct room. We noticed many of the common areas of this hotel were dirty, and the carpeted hallways were just plain gross (dirty and smelly). There were lots of room service trays left in the hallways, many looked like they were sitting there all day. The hallways also seemed quite narrow and dark. The room décor is quite aged but the bathroom, fortunately, was clean. There is a decent sized pool and sauna in the atrium area, which was getting use, but it also looked like it could use a good cleaning, water didn't look that clear. We were also using the side entrance from the parking lot and there was a huge overflowing ashtray near the door, which probably hadn't been emptied for days. Every time you passed in and out of this door you got the whiff of the nasty cigarette butts. It seems this hotel has definately seen better days. My husband and I were tired from our long day on the road so we did not venture out and about for dinner, we opted to grab dinner at Cascabel, the hotel lounge. Our meal consisted of a few craft beers, tacos and a salad. Our dinner was decent and the young male bartender who waited on us was very nice. The hotel seemed fairly full on a Saturday night, we could hear some noise in hallway and in courtyard area throughout the evening. The chocolate chip cookies were good though and I ended up not getting charged the pet fee.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple

Hello surfandturf65,

I am disappointed to learn of your comments regarding the pet fee and the misunderstanding with us giving you a non courtyard view room. I am sorry that was the case and you did not enjoy your stay with us. I would welcome an opportunity to speak to you about it and learn more about your stay with us. If you can recall anything additional that stood out or can think of anything that would have made your stay more enjoyable, please email or call me at my contact information below. We value your feedback.

Thank you again for writing a review on our hotel. We do hope you will give us another opportunity to have you as our guest the next time you need accommodations in San Antonio.

Reviewed April 17, 2014

LOVE staying at this Doubletree near North Star Mall in San Antonio, Texas. The staff is great and the location is of course convenient!!! Plenty of restaurants and stores around the area. I have stayed at this location for several years and it is extremely safe.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled with family

Hello Roxanne G,

The team will be thrilled to read your comments on them, thank you for pointing out their efforts as they have been working hard to improve our service. We are also happy to see you as a loyal DoubleTree guest and we thank you for being a regular at our hotel. If you can think of anything additional that would have made your stay more enjoyable, please email or call me at my contact information below. We value your feedback.

Reviewed April 16, 2014

Being a Hilton Honors member we were put on a separate floor made just for Hilton Honors Members. The room was a decent size and seemed nearly new. The room had sofa come bed in the room if one required additional space for sleeping. There was a door leading to a small balcony. The room staff on our floor was very nice they came to the room on arrival and asked if we needed anything additional of which we requested more coffee supplies which were brought in five minutes. The hotel staff at the lobby was just as good and even informed us that we can add the breakfast to the room as an honor member for around ten dollars a person, but since this hotel is located next many eating joints we decided to venture out for all our meals. I would recommend this hotel to anyone looking for a decent place to stay while visiting the area.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank ASahni

Hello ASahni,

Thank you for pointing out our team as they will be happy you recognized their efforts. Our housekeeping staff has been giving your comments and shown how they can make a difference with our guests other than cleaning rooms. If you can think of anything additional that would have made your stay more enjoyable, please email or call me at my contact information below. We value your feedback.

Reviewed April 16, 2014

I thought the location was great for where I was needing to go. The staff was very nice. But I was disappointed with the cleanness of the walls in the room. Also the door to the bathroom did not shut properly. The toilet was very loud and didn't flush properly either. The elevators are way too hot. Glad I only had to stay one night.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled with family

Hello Norma C,

I am sorry to read that you would not recommend our hotel, but thank you for pointing out our staff. They will be happy to see your comments, but like me, disappointed to learn of your comments on the hotel. We will be following up with those areas mentioned and I would welcome an opportunity to speak to you about it. If you can recall anything in particular that stood out besides what you mentioned in your review or can think of anything additional that would have made your stay more enjoyable, please email or call me at my contact information below. We value your feedback.

Reviewed April 16, 2014

My stay at this hotel was absolutely excellent. The staff was courteous and friendly everyday, morning and evening. If there was anything I had a question about in the local community, they were knowledgeable and happy to help. The amenities were great. The breakfast was a little pricey, but that's the DoubleTree way for breakfast.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled on business

Hello Celeste J,

The team will be excited to read your comments on them, thank you for pointing out their efforts. They have been working hard to improve our service and I am happy to see their efforts have been noticed. If you can think of anything additional that would have made your stay more enjoyable, please email or call me at my contact information below. We value your feedback.

Reviewed April 14, 2014

I like the hotel and have stayed here previously becasue of my job. Only recomendation is on the bedding. I have stayed at other hotels with much softer mattresses. The reception was great, the rooms are clean and the people were awesome.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled on business
Review collected in partnership with DoubleTree by Hilton
Kym M, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel San Antonio Airport, responded to this reviewResponded April 18, 2014

Hello Alex S,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review on our hotel with TripAdvisor. We appreciate your feedback as it assists us with improving our hotel.

We thank you for the kind words regarding our team and the cleanliness. This has been a focus for us and our team is really working to improve all aspects of the hotel. Regarding the bedding, we do have plans over the next 12 months to replace our current bedding with new mattresses. I do hope you will be able to notice the difference when this does happen. If you can think of anything additional that could have made your stay more enjoyable, please either email or call me at my contact information below.

Thank you again for your review and we will look forward to seeing you again the next time you need accommodations in San Antonio.