WINNER WONDERLAND

GreenLeadersBronze level
Emerson, New Jersey
“Hotel needs some help.”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 20, 2013

Stayed here on our last night of our San Antonio area trip. Previously we had stayed downtown at the Home2Suites and the Staybridge Suites in Corpus Christi. We needed something close to the airport the night before we left and I had some Hilton points to burn. I admit we chose this hotel due to its relative low cost for Hilton points. For this stay it was my wife and I and we're in our mid-30's and we tend to stay in a range of accommodations.

We arrived later in the evening (around 8 PM) on a weekend night so I'm sure many of the better rooms were full. Lobby and the hotel layout in general looks like it was exceptionally fancy 30 years ago, but not just feels tired. No problem with the service at the hotel. Front desk was efficient and pleasant.

After staying in a couple of extended stay hotels the hotel room we had was a bit cramped, but probably average size. Bathroom was a bit small. I agree with the no counter space issue, but we worked it out. My first issue with the hotel was the layout. I'm sure it is convenient when you can go outside, but it was a bit chilly that night and it takes a while to wander around the hallways. My second complaint was that the door to the balcony would not latch shut. Not a security risk, since we were on a higher floor, but just seemed cheap. Last minor complaint was the relative noise through walls and doors. Some hotels are just better than others and this one I found to be a bit noisy.

In general I just feel average about this hotel. I wouldn't go back with all the other options in the area, but it did meet our needs for the night.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Julie R, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel San Antonio Airport, responded to this review, February 22, 2013
While my staff and I can't change most of what you mentioned in your review of the hotel, we do our best to provide the best service everyday. I haven't seen any mention of a balcony door not locking on our Front Desk reports lately, but I will have all of them checked. Perhaps the night you stayed was cold, but in San Antonio that's an anomoly!

Thank you for your comments, without feedback from our guests we would be unable to correct our mistakes.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (113)
Chicago, Illinois
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 18, 2013

Miss matched furniture, burn marks in the bathroom, would never stay here again. This hotel was selected because of its proximity to the airport. Thank god I only needed to stay one night. The bathroom was run down with nasty patches on the ceiling over the tub and stains on the painted walls. No counter space on the sink. If the cost of the room were less or it the brand was not Hilton I would have expected less.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Julie R, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel San Antonio Airport, responded to this review, February 19, 2013
Dear Mr. Hernandez:

Please accept my apologies for the conditions you found in your room during your recent stay with us. I went to check the room you stayed in and put it out of order to be general cleaned. As a way of apology I will be issuing a credit for your stay with us.

I appreciate you taking the time to let me know so I can correct what is wrong.

Regards,

Julie Robey
Enterprise, Kansas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 16, 2013

Working for the US Army they put us up here at the motel and have done so for a long time. It is always a great stay. Lots of food places close and right across from the North Star Mall and the giant cowboy boots! The rooms are wonderful and they have a really nice guest laundry for those of us that spend a couple of weeks there. The beds were great and very nice place to stay. Love the inner courtyard and sitting out there after class. The only funny story I can tell is the classes used to be on the Riverwalk and when the first ones were done at this location we asked why the change. Our instructor told us that even though the Army got a better rate on the Riverwalk, it looked bad for us to be staying in such a luxourious place so they moved out here where it cost a little more but did not look as bad to "taxpayers". Love the way the government thinks! Great place to stay!

Room Tip: The motel restuarant is expensive but the breakfast buffet is great. All of the rooms I have stayed...
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled on business
Austin, Texas
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 16, 2013

This has been my go to hotel for short weekend getaways an hour or two from home. The Spanish villa architecture is quite charming. In the future I will be requesting an outside facing room rather than courtyard view due to privacy. The courtyard view is separated by a public walkway so your view will have other guests walking by. For this reason I have never opened my curtains or the courtyard door entry. Recently stayed in a non-courtyard, higher floor room and felt more comfortable opening the curtains, as well as the French doors, that lead outside to a teensy little patio. (For security and common sense, its best not to sleep with any door open or unlocked, patio or otherwise.) During a stay in December 2012 we were greeted with flyers indicating short term digital tv trouble and a menu change. In planning for a future chilled out "staycation", I am bummed to read, in another review, that the t.v. situation is still not fixed. Really? This is 2013!
The staff has always been great and personally never a problem with bugs. Beds are comfy and the room is clean. (Yes, the bathroom is small.) Room service is adequate, but the food is basic, however they don't advertise as a culinary destination. May never get to taste this menu change if the digital t.v. is still on the blink.
Being billed as an airport hotel, it doesn't give off that busy, cold vibe. There are lots of families and you can always find some formerly dressed "abuelitas" (grandmothers) in the lobby, waiting for the rest of the family, for a special occasion out.
The t.v. situation sounds trivial, but if your personal get-away includes relaxing and t.v., this is an issue.

Room Tip: A public walkway is between your room and the courtyard, if you choose a courtyard view.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Julie R, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel San Antonio Airport, responded to this review, February 18, 2013
The TV issue that we had in December is cleared up now. You are welcome to come back and stay with us again. Please let us know if you ever have any problems, we are happy to help!
Plano, Texas, United States
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 6, 2013

We only stayed 1 night, but I would certainly go back again. The staff was friendly and helpful, the room was clean and we loved the ambiance! I felt like I was in an Italian Villa. The inner courtyard was magnificent!

Room Tip: Ask for a room overlooking the pool.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Burlington VT
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 4, 2013

Some Doubletrees are fantastic, some not so much. Overall the place is dated. Room felt old. However, It was kept-up and clean. I meant to check out the pool & hot tub but it was chilly and those are located outside in the center courtyard which I liked the look of.

Staff was mostly fine. Heat didn't work in the room and they fixed it when I was gone. Not sure why the repair-person felt the need to set the thermostat to 90?!?

Breakfast buffet was pretty good and plentiful. Lots of people so that's a good indication. Dinner was okay... not bad but nothing outstanding which would explain why there was only 2 of us eating. More people in the bar then the dining room.

Maybe I should rate it Average but Doubletree should mean something like outstanding or even very good but it didn't in this case. There are other better places nearby.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Thun, Bern, Switzerland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 1, 2013

I don't know if I have ever stayed at a hotel with friendlier and helpful staff as with this hotel. Yes it was dated, but rooms were clean and very comfortable. The staff were beyond belief. Every morning i was greeted by very eager to please waitress/waiters for a nice breakfast buffet, you can also order from the kitchen. My television wasn't working properly and it took only minutes for someone to fix it, actuatlly minutes later a second service man was there to fix it. The only complaint I have is the television. The digital just didn't work no matter what they did. This is something they need to work on. There were no BUGS. I would stay there again.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family