DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel San Antonio Airport
Ranked #73 of 357 Hotels in San Antonio
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed February 29, 2008

Really nothing special. The layout of the hotel is dumb, some rooms exit to the outside courtyard, and others have hallway entry. The walk to my room was long. The room was nothing special, and really compared to the Hampton Inn at the Airport, it was nothing. It was not a bad place, and very close to a lot of shopping and places to eat. Internet was like $9 a day, and parking is free. Breakfast was a fee, I was given access to the lounge b/c I'm diamond with Hilton. The lounge was ok, and very small, the size of a hotel room. To me the Hampton Inn at the airport was nicer and a better value. There is more to do around the Double Tree, but I will not be back.. Just was not that impressed. The staff was not the nicest as a VIP i normally get more attention and they did not give that here.

• Stayed: February 2008, traveled on business
1  Thank dcl80
Write a ReviewReviews (1,199)

Reviewed February 18, 2008

my wife and i spent 4 shopping days so we decided to be near to the north star mall and searching in internet we found the double tree hotel; but we were not to sure because of the price (a hotel in mexico whit this rate is not too good) anyway we said is just for sleep so let´s stay. our sorpraise start in the airport whit the friendly people there who even call to the hotel for pick us up and mark the van´s driver was so helpfull whit an attitude of service and care to us. At the hotel the attitude was the same and make us feel than whit this kind of service you don´t need to look for more expensive hotels.We really want to say than the hotel itself is not the greatest or luxoriuos place but the people there makes the difference and you feel better than home. God´s will first we will come back whit the entire family because i want them to feel this warm people. thank you mark, jhon, jacob and robert the drivers who took us everywhere whit care, james the great bartender and all the great people than makes us feel the need for return; thank you folks!!!!!!!!!!

• Stayed: February 2008, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 14, 2008

It seems that if you are actually able to get through the door, this place might be acceptable, although I sincerely believe the review of poor management. I had a reservation, confirmation number in hand, ready to head off to San Antonio for a convention. A month after making the reservation some out of the loop front desk part timer called to say my reservation was canceled. Could she give an answer.........NO. I was told to talk to the manager, a Mr. Jim Malone. So I called, he was out to lunch. I called again, his door was shut. Again, he was on a conference call. Voice mail left, name and number included, wishing to be contacted to discuss the whole situation, Mr. Malone simply blew me off. No call of explanation, nothing. Now it seems to me that if I hadn't given them the courtesy to cancel prior to my arrival date, I would have been charge for the stay. That kind of sounds like a contract, doesn't it. Well, the same can't be said for management, your confirmation number doesn't mean squat to them. I can just imagine that the price I was confirmed at could be improved upon if they just dumped a few people.

DO NOT TRUST THIS HOTEL!!!!!!

• Stayed: January 2008, traveled on business
Reviewed December 14, 2007

This hotel is located a very short drive from the airport but is far enough away so that the runway noise is non-existent.

The hotel features Spanish Mission architecture and is well kept both on the outside and inside. If you are driving from the airport the entrance from the surface road is not very obvious. It would help if the hotel placed a more prominent sign at the entrance because if you drive past it expect an ordeal in heavy traffic to get back in position to enter the parking lot.

The staff is very friendly, helpful, and professional. The only negative was receiving incorrect directions from one of the managers. The mistake cost me a good 20 minutes of extra driving getting to my destination. He contradicted the mapquest directions and was wrong.

The room I had was clean and a fair representation of this price point. The bed was actually quite good, the air conditioner worked well and there was no end to the hot water in the morning.

I recommend this property.

• Stayed: December 2007
1  Thank djboise
Reviewed September 27, 2007

Attended a conference September 2007 and the place was great. Nice rooms, good price, nice amenities. Beds were comfy. Only complaints are free coffee during the week that mysteriously disappears on the weekend and the food in the restaurant was very bad. Only had breakfast but wouldn't eat there again.

• Stayed: September 2007, traveled with family
1  Thank nancyb19
Reviewed September 4, 2007

Disclaimer: My review is based on comparing this hotel to others in it's price/star range. I travel for work and the hotel cost is expensed, so I rarely am concerned about the room rate.

Overview: If you're going to San Antonio, the downtown/riverwalk area is the place to be, but if the downtown hotels are full (and around Cinco de Mayo, they often are), stay at this property in North San Antonio. This is a mission style hotel, built around a central outdoor courtyard with a large pool, hot tub and lots of tables for dining or drink (no outdoor bar, but you can bring drinks outside from the bar). Spanish design with lots of tile and stucco. Very open, airy feel. Because this hotel had the word airport in the title I immediatly imagened the worse...over-crowded with business travelers, lots of airport noise and was glad to be wrong. There is a mall directly across the street from the hotel and a strip mall with a TGI-Friday's and, deli and chinese/sushi place next to it.

Bars/Restaraunts: KC, the weekend bartender was a lot of fun and I ended up subbing for one of the palyers on his softball team. Tip well and ask him about his softball team and you'll probably be paying for less than half of your drinks. This is the bartender that every bar should have. The restaurant wasn't much to write home about. Mostly southwest style menu, but not true Tex-Mex (and if you're eating anything else in San Antonio, you're wasting your time). I ate out most nights, but room service was fast and not bad.

Room: I was upgraded to the Executive section of the hotel through my Hilton Diamond membership. Great room decorated in desert colors. Huge king bed, very comfortable with new bedding. Good bathroom amminities. My room had a full sliding glass door that opened all the way (not a real balcony, but there's a rail outside the window. Wireless internet was 10 dollars a day and only of average quality, which has, unfortunatly, become the norm. Especially poor performance between 6 and 9 PM when their access points are bogged down with users.

Staff: Good all around. House keeping always did a solid job. They brought me plenty of extra hangers for my three week stay. Front desk staff thanked me for my Hilton Honors membership and upgraded me when asked. I'm originally from just up I-35 in Austin, Texas so I didn't require much assistance on getting around or what to see, so I didn't have a lot of staff interaction. Bar staff was very good.

Other: Has a decent gym and small sauna. Pool and hot tub both very nice. Looks like there is a ton of meeting space and there were several conferences/meetings while I was there, in addition to a wedding reception and a few birthday parties. Overall a much better than expected stay.

• Stayed: May 2007, traveled on business
3  Thank metsisme
Reviewed August 12, 2007

I stay at this hotel one to two times per month for about two nights per stay, alternating with the Hampton San Antonio Northwoods.

Overall this Doubletree tries hard. As a diamond or gold member you get access to the hospitality suite in the evening for happy hour and morning for continental breakfast. The suite is rather small, but the staff really makes it shine. (Plus - extra free cookies - Yummmm) If you are a diamond you also get the breakfast in Cascabel (the diner) for free.

The rooms area bit worn and dated but always clean. The workout was getting pretty tired, but last time I was there it was closed and undergoing a remodel. Tons to eat if you have a car. If not, eating dinner in Cascabel is not bad There is also a TGI Fridays next door, an Asian place, Chik Filet, and Jason's Deli. The hotel also provides free shuttle to the mall across the street as well as teh airport.

The location near the airport, but flight noise has never been a problem. Unlike many hotels around the airport, they do not charge for self parking.

The outdoor pool / courtyard is a nice place to hang out, have a drink, or work on your laptop. They have a fairly nice business center, with three PC's and two printers, but no copier.

For its location in San Antonio, the price is reasonable compared to many other choices.

• Stayed: July 2007, traveled on business