DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel San Antonio Airport
Ranked #76 of 353 Hotels in San Antonio
GreenLeadersBronze level
“Very nice”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 18, 2012 via mobile

A little over priced due to the goings on in town this weekend, overall, a very nice hotel. Will stall here again if I need to, but will make sure to book in advance. As always, I was greeted with the standard warm Double Tree cookie, but, because of my"rewards status", I was also given two bottles of water. The bottles normally run $2.25. A little pricey for water, so be prepared.

• Stayed August 2012
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Julie R, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel San Antonio Airport, responded to this review, August 20, 2012
Thank you for you great rating of the hotel. I'm not sure where you found the price of water at $2.25, perhaps it was the vending machine, but those bottles of water are the 20oz Dasani's. The same price as all of the hotels in our area. Don't worry, if you ask the Front Desk for another one, they would gladly give you another!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (117)
San Diego, California
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 10, 2012

I stayed at a DoubleTree hotel before in San Diego and that was a good experience, so I thought my family would have one too. What a big difference compared to that one. I've traveled a lot due to my job, and I've stayed at Choice Hotels, Hampton Inns, Super 8, 1 star to 4 star hotels. This hotel is in need of some serious renovations and slowly falling apart. The coffee maker in the room had old coffee that had been sitting there for days. There were bed bugs or some other insects in my room. Every time we layed down on the bed, itches and rashes would later develop. Carpets were also old and dirty as well as the bathroom. No free buffet even though we had gold status membership. I've had better experiences at many 2.5 star hotels with free and better buffets than the overpriced one they charge here. The only thing 3.5 star at this place is their imagination that this is a high class hotel. I am sure some people got better rooms and had better experiences, but if you read through all the reviews on this site, you can see it all depends on what room they happen to give you and who you have the fortunate or unfortunate (if you had a bad experience) opportunity to deal with during your stay. So, if you want to stay at a DoubleTree, that is fine because they are usually good, but STAY FAR AWAY FROM THIS ONE IN SAN ANTONIO!!!

Room Tip: Go to another DoubleTree or find a cheaper 2.5 star hotel that deserves their rating!
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Julie R, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel San Antonio Airport, responded to this review, August 12, 2012
Please accept my apologies for the problems you encountered during your recent stay with us. We do provide breakfast for Gold Hhonors members so I don't know how we missed that for you. We do however take reports for bugs/insects in our guest rooms very seriously. If you would like to contact me so I can take the room out-of-room to have it checked, I would be happy to offer compensation for the problems you encountered. However you if wish to remain anonymous, I would certainly understand. You could leave a message for me at 210-321-4801 or respond via e-mail. Either way I would be grateful for the information. Thank-you for your review.

julie.robey@us.whg.com
Houston, Texas
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 6, 2012

I recently stayed here on a business trip, and was pleased. The proximity to the airport is nice, and there are quite a few restaurants near. The Alamo Drafthouse is also close(if you have never been, go!) The restaurant and bar were also above average.

All of the service I received was top notch. I would definitely recommend the property.

Room Tip: I highly recommend the rooms that open out to the courtyard. Noise was not a problem.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
Houston, Texas
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 6, 2012

My boyfriend and I had a long weekend off work and decided to book a hotel through Priceline. We almost always get this hotel with our bid, and most of the time truly enjoy it. This past time, left me thinking maybe not anymore.

PROs:
The bed is extremely comfortable, the tv is not old, and they offer a bunch of channels. The AC works, which is very important here in SA. The pool is fun, and we lucked out with a room overlooking the pool area. Great Breakfast buffet...(not free)!

CONs:
The bathroom is extremely small. In order for me to use the bathroom with the door closed well put it this way you can't shut the door unless you tuck yourself into the corner. I tend to notice stuff more than others, but there were random hairs in the bathtub and toliet. (Kind of gross) There are nice fixtures, but our sink leaked. And it was noisy when it finally drains whatever you were using the sink for. I hate that room service stops after a certain hour in the night. I mean what if we are out partying and need something to eat?

It was a great stay except these minor details got annoying after a while. We stayed in the room a lot because well the Olypmics were on and the bed was cozy. But the extra noises are a too much for me!

Room Tip: Ask for a suite or one over the pool. The rooms not over the pool are near the major AC unit!
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Julie R, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel San Antonio Airport, responded to this review, August 8, 2012
Thank you for your review of the hotel! I apologize that you found the bathroom less than desirable. Our bathrooms are small because we like to allow as much room in the bedroom portion as possible. I would be grateful to know which room we need to fix the leaking sink. By the way our overnight driver has been known to take guests on late-night runs to Whataburger after room service closes! and there's always pizza....
Monterrey, Mexico
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 26, 2012

Nice hotel just across the street of north star mall, 2 min from the airport, in the North side of the city, 15min from la Cantera and The Rim, and close to the i-35 to San Marcos (outlets) or Austin, great location.

"Mexican Quinta" style, well maintained, just ask for a room close to the elevators 'cause you can be in a long walk to get to your room if you don't. Nice pool and bar. Several restaurants nearby, also Target, Walmart, Ross, TJmaxx, Babies-r-us, Galaxy Golf and other good stores.

Room Tip: Room near the elevator
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Sergio C
buckypeekn
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 9, 2012

It was a nice stay. The hotel had a weird layout... You have to walk all the way around the floor to get to your room due to the indoor atrium. Getting ice was not an easy task. Overall, great location! Very friendly staff. The rooms are average size but clean and modern. Fridge and microwave are a plus!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
Long Beach, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 9, 2012

We stayed here after a 27hr driving marathon. Staff promptly checked us in and stored some bicycles over night for us. It felt great to take a shower and get some rest. Placed was nice and had some Texan charm and character. The trailer we were pulling was there when we got on our way the next day. There were no security concerns.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends