“Never again!”

Ranked #241 of 358 Hotels in San Antonio
Reviewed December 26, 2012

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with Howard Johnson
tony209, Guest Relations Manager at Quality Inn & Suites I-35 - near AT&T Center, responded to this reviewResponded March 27, 2013

Reviewed December 20, 2012

Ask to see the room first!!! I am a pregnant woman traveling alone with my 4 year old son to pick up my daughter from the Army. With it being Christmas time, I am on a tight budget. I guess I had better expand my budget a little. I was looking for a place that is inside entry as a safety precaution for me and my son and from the outside it looked alright (it was 10:30 at night so couldn't see much). The price was ok (fit into my budget) for a one night stay and we were tired from the drive so we took the room that was offered, a non-smoking with 2 doubles. I had requested a king but the lady at the front desk said they only had kings in suite rooms and it would be more. We proceeded to our room and the first red flag was the door leading into the building. If you pulled on it, the bottom portion would open but the security latch would not allow the top to open. Not very secure if you ask me. We got to the room and had a difficult time getting the door to latch back after getting it open. I had to open and close it about 3 times for it to latch. This was only done by pushing on it, not using the door handle. Got the door closed and locked and proceeded to get ready for the night and was greated by a roach on the towels. UGH!!!! I called the front desk and she offered to spray but I told her that if there was one there were more and I didnt want to smell that all night. She came up, pretty quickly, to change out the towels and I couldn't get the door open. Hoped we didn't have an emergency to where we had to get out in a hurry. She didn't say a word about the door when I to her that it wouldn't open. She came in and looked at the roach on the towels and tried to tell me the it was a cricket. I am 44 years old and know what the heck a roach is!!!! I told her that she left the front desk pretty quick as I tried to call back to go ahead and change rooms but she did not respond to that request. I am guessing that she was more concerned with the "cricket". My son being so tired, went ahead and crawled into the bed a fell asleep. I got into the bed shortly there after and the spring would pop with every move not to mention the vibration you feel from the ac/heating unit. Needless to say, a very sleepless night. I would advise going somewhere else!!!! I really hate to make reviews like this as I am not one to complain.

• Stayed: December 2012
1  Thank Mglover37

Thank you for taking the time out of your schedule to leave us a review on TripAdvisor. I apologize that your experience was anything less than satisfying. Our goal is to not only meet the needs of each and every guest we serve, but to exceed your expectations to make your stay as pleasant and comfortable as possible. Please know that your feedback is extremely valuable to us. Feedback such as yours assists us in improving our service and property on a daily basis. We are here to strive and satisfy the guest and obviously this not a impression we like to put on Howard Johnson or our hotel in particular. Howard Johnson is the oldest Hotel chain around for 90 plus years and it has been base on the 3 C's (Clean, Comfortable and most important Customer Sevice). We strive to to extremes in measures as we know if it effects our guest it effects us. Plese give a second oppurtunity if your are in the are to show you the new changes that occured, Guest Relatios Manager-Tony P.

Reviewed November 13, 2012

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Dwayne T
tony209, Guest Relations Manager at Quality Inn & Suites I-35 - near AT&T Center, responded to this reviewResponded November 28, 2012

Reviewed November 1, 2012

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Ms T

Reviewed October 30, 2012

We stayed here for one week. Originally reserved for 4days, but the room was very spacious, staff nice and rates were excellent. Clean rooms, nice and friendly staff. The only thing wrong was pump went out on the pool and hot tub. I hope they get that fixed, hot tub would have been nice. Just a few exits away to riverwalk, and close to anywhere one might visit,ie. sea world and other attractions. Money saved on room allowed for more activities!

Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Wonderlust L

Thank you for taking the time out of your schedule to review our hotel regarding your recent stay at our hotel.Please know that your feedback is extremely valuable to us and we will utilize your response by continuing to focus on making each and every guest experience the best it can be. We hope to be of service to you in the future. We know you have a choice and we are glad you chose us. Again, thank you for reviewing our property and if we can be of assistance to you, don't hesitate to contact us. We cannot wait to see you again!
Guest Relations Manager: Tony P.

Reviewed October 20, 2012

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business

Reviewed October 16, 2012

We stayed in a double King suite. This layout was PERFECT for our family. It had two rooms, separated by french doors, with a King size bed and a flat screen tv in each room. The room was clean, smelled nice, and was supplied well. There wasn't great air flow with the french doors shut, but we could put the a/c on high while we were out during the day, and the whole place would be cool when we came back. We would then put our kids to bed, turn the a/c to low, shut the doors, and be able to watch tv and get on the internet and take time to wind down. When we would go to bed, we would open the french doors, and the temperature would be perfect all night. Here are the cons: The maintenance in this place was not great (my husband happens to do apartment maintenance for a living), and that caused some run down issues. Every morning there were some sort of ant, and sewer gnats in the shower. We just rinsed them away, and that was the end of it until the next morning. Judging from the cracks in the tiles, there was probably some mold behind the walls that were attracting them. Also, the locks/keycards were infuriating! We figured out the outside door pretty easily, we just had to put the card in and pull it out very slowly to get it to unlock. The door to our room was more difficult. We would normally need to put the card in several times, slow, fast, two times quickly.... We would just have to play around with it until it would work. The continental breakfast could have been pretty good..... except it wasn't. It had waffles, two kinds of cereal, bagels and toast, oatmeal, and biscuits and gravy. The gravy was not good, the toaster was broken and wouldn't stay down to toast anything.... But if you like waffles, raisin bran, or corn flakes. And if you do, you should get there early, or it will be gone. Housekeeping did pretty well, except for the last night. They only left one towel for a family of 4..... Which is not the end of the world. When we called the front desk, they said we were more than welcome to come pick some up. I just think that if they didn't put the towels in that they were supposed to, they should bring them to us. All that being said, it was still a very large, awesome room, for $67 a night. It served us very well, and I slept better than I ever did in one room with two double beds, and my two toddlers right next to us.They just need to put a little more into their maintenance. And the breakfast is a continental breakfast. It is what it is, and what I would normally expect.

Room Tip: Our room was right next to the outside door, and we often heard people coming and going.
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank Stephanie F

Thank you for taking the time out of your schedule to review our hotel regarding your recent stay at our hotel.Please know that your feedback is extremely valuable to us and we will utilize your response by continuing to focus on making each and every guest experience the best it can be. We hope to be of service to you in the future.We have adddressed such issues to maintenance and housekeeping to rectify these errors for future reference. We know you have a choice and we are glad you chose us. Again, thank you for reviewing our property and if we can be of assistance to you, don't hesitate to contact us. We cannot wait to see you again!
G.R.M. Tony P.