“Comfortable Stay”

Marriott Plaza San Antonio
Ranked #69 of 358 Hotels in San Antonio
Reviewed November 9, 2010

My husband and I stayed at the Marriott Plaza just recently and were pleasantly surprised. The grounds of the hotel were nicely maintained, our room's balcony faced a gazebo near the pool which was nice since the other option would have been a balcony facing the parking lot. The bed was extremely comfortable, the linens were soft and there was a nice mattress topper for extra softness. Our only problem with this hotel was the $23/day charge to park in the parking lot. The parking charge can be worth while however, because you have until 6pm the next day to vacate the parking lot. We arrived on Saturday at 12pm and did not leave until 4pm on Sunday and we were only charged for the one day.

If you are wanting a hotel ON the Riverwalk this is not the place for you but if you don't mind walking a couple of blocks then you will probably be happy with this choice. The short walk is not bad at all. Also, there was free wi-fi in the hotel lobby which was nice as well.

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled as a couple
There are newer reviews for Marriott Plaza San Antonio

Reviewed November 8, 2010

Easy to find, loacation was clean, the staff meets you at the front door and assists with any luggage, rooms are clean and have a great view. The location was perfect for us because it was within walking distance of the alamodome and several very good night spots and resturants. Staff was accomidating to every need, very enjoyable

Reviewed October 24, 2010

I recently came home two San Antonio after a two year tour, only to find that the people I sublet my apartment to would be an extra week before moving out. With no home quite yet, I found a second home in my city at the Plaza for a week. My sister had called from two states away and set it up for me. I arrived in my room with a note and a snack tray from my sis that the hotel had arranged. Nice surprise after being gone so long. The same people greeted me each morning as I came down. The front desk manager Gracie was sweet as pie. I had a great waitress each morning for breakfast. The hostess Melody was funny, and the food was great! The bell guy Danny and Mike were big help. I was not happy when I came home, and found that I had to stay at a hotel, but this hotel made it like a vacation. It's real nice and I love the birds. The only complaint I have is that the parking gate did not always work. For a $21 fee this should be in order. My sister will stay here next month when she comes to San Antonio.

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled solo
Reviewed October 12, 2010

The hotel itself is OK, but it is the last hotel you want to choose because the house keeping person there are not honest.
My husband and I lived there on 10/9/2010, room 107. Next morning, we were leaving in a hurry, so we forgot two folded sweaters (almost brand new, very good quality) on the bed (it is impossible to omit them if they make the bed). Later that day, I called the hotel several times, the receptionist is very polite and patient, but the house keeping person insist he/she found nothing. (I actually also left my slippers on the floor, but the slippers are old so I didn't want it back anyway, thus it is obvious a lie that she found nothing.)

If the hotel still cares its reputation, I hope the manager can take this serious. I always liked my experience with Marriott, until this really unpleasant event.

4  Thank angelaaaa
Reviewed October 6, 2010

I do have a bias towards Marriotts and this is one of the nicer ones I have stayed at in a long time. It has a lot of history to it which makes it interesting. The pheasants and peacocks in the hotel yard definitely add to the charm.

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled on business
Reviewed October 5, 2010

Charming Old Style hotel very close to the river.

Rooms are well appointed

Staff is super friendly and helpful

Best restaurant of all 3 Marriott full service properties

Reviewed September 13, 2010

First off, 21 dollars to park per day. If that seems extreme, stay somewhere else. The hotel itself is located in a good area. It is about a 5 minute walk to the Riverwalk and the Alamo. It is rated as a 4 star, which in my mind was a stretch. It was 3-3.5 stars in my mind. The parking lot is just that, a lot with a gate. No security to be seen, no cameras and not covered but close to the front door. The valet area is covered and 6 bucks more per day. We didnt use it. We arrived the same day as a tropical storm and there was debris and trash everywhere but by the next morning it had all been cleaned up.
The front desk and lobby were very nice and clean. Everyone was very polite and courteous. I noticed the bar and restaurant but we did not eat or drink at the hotel. I booked this hotel online using the name your price feature on priceline and I would say I was happy with my rate and the hotel.
The room was basic. Its only fault in my mind was that it was located so close to a very busy street and being a light sleeper, I hear everything. Usually a hotel room has a nice loud air conditioner unit that I use to muffle the noise, however this hotel room has a very quiet AC unit. It was cold, but quiet. Housekeeping was great. There was a newspaper every morning when we woke.
The elevator was by far the slowest I have ever seen in a hotel. The building we were in had 5 floors, we were on floor 3 and it took a minute at least for it to arrive, on one occasion we waited and when it did arrive, the housekeeper had to wiggle her cart off before we could get on. I would think housekeeping should have their own to use, but apparently not here.
And finally, the bathroomin our room was a little worn down. Some paint was peeling around the edge of the walls and the shower took awhile to get warm. Nothing horrific. If you can book it for under 80 bucks a night, its worth it merely for location. But try 60 to offset your parking.

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled as a couple