“Convenient to Riverwalk without the noise, great amenities”

Marriott Plaza San Antonio
Ranked #64 of 354 Hotels in San Antonio
Baltimore, Maryland
“Convenient to Riverwalk without the noise, great amenities”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 26, 2009

I was pleasantly surprised with my stay at this hotel for a week-long conference in July. The entry is a little unconventional since you walk into a small courtyard from the valet area and turn right through some doors into the lobby. The courtyard is a nice touch, though. The lobby was spacious and well-decorated. Through the lobby, you can enter the main courtyard, which is very nice and a great feature of the hotel. More on that later. Check-in was fine with minimal wait, though I found the front desk staff to be varied in competence and friendliness (overall positive though).

The room was very nice, and I had a view of the main courtyard. I never had any issues with noise from outside, though there was one night when the next door neighbors were playing their TV too loud (connected room -- I HATE those). The room had a large, LCD flat panel TV with convenient connections AND cables to hook up a laptop. HUGE praise for that, Marriott! This setup should be standard in all hotels by now, not the glaring exception. I cannot abide by paying $100+ for a hotel room these days and having a cheap, ancient CRT TV in the room, which is sometimes so dark that it's barely watchable. Hotel companies need to wake up already and replace their dinosaurs. Anyway, the bathroom was nice and roomy, and I didn't have any issues with it. The bed was comfortable, but enough with the pillows already! I think I had about six, but none of them was large enough. The only major gripe I had about the room itself was the air conditioning, which seemed difficult to set properly -- I alternated between hot and cold, but I'm fickle sometimes so maybe it was just me. One significant downside for me: No free internet. Come on, Marriott, don't nickel and dime us travelers with WiFi expenses. That's just petty.

Back to the main courtyard. They have several different species of birds parading around loose in the courtyard, including some peacocks, which was very different. Bring your camera, unlike stupid me, because you'll probably want some pictures of the beautiful creatures who aren't terribly shy. The pool is located in the corner of the courtyard area, and it is nicely sized and good for swimming laps. It's also open early and late and has a hot tub to one side with a bar area. There was a lot of debris in the pool in the morning, but if you have trees, I suppose that's a consequence. I also was using the pool before the guy had a chance to clean it. The fitness center is in a separate, small building within the courtyard (of some historical significance) and has some dumbbells along with the usual treadmills and cardio machines -- excellent! The floor isn't padded, however, so don't expect to do many exercises on the thin carpet over wood.

Location-wise, I was exceptionally pleased. The Riverwalk is only about three blocks away on a busy street so safety never seemed an issue even later at night. You are close enough to the hustle and bustle of the Riverwalk to enjoy it until late, but you aren't far enough to warrant a cab ride nor close enough to be bothered by noise at the hotel.

I only ate breakfast one time at the hotel, and it was very good though perhaps a bit overpriced. They had a great selection of hot and cold items on the buffet and make pancakes, waffles, and omelets to order. Service was good. For Elite members (silver and up?), they have a concierge area which serves a small (free!) breakfast, a small dinner, and desserts in the evening. There are alcohol drinks available for purchase. It's a nice little area with friendly attendants and a definite benefit for Marriott Rewards members -- it's nice to feel appreciated for once.

If I go back to San Antonio, the Marriott Plaza will be at the top of my list.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled on business
2 Thank AndrewinMD

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (202)
Austin
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 25, 2009

I've stayed at the Marriott Plaza several times in the past, but it has been several years since I was there. I had forgetten how charming the location was. You have a lot more than just the River Walk available to you at this location, and the staff is very professional and knowledgeable. The Bellhops (Joe and Johnny) really know the town/area, and are extremely helpful. It's the perfect hotel and location to stay at in San Antonio.

Dan

1 Thank DannyWayne
Houston Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 18, 2009

My wife and I have stayed at the Marriott several times over the years.

We have always found the service and staff to be great. We like the fact that its a short stroll to the river walk. Its more laid back than the busy hotels on the river.

Our room over looked the court yard that gave it a feel of "old San Antonio" charm

1 Thank msctexas
Seattle
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 17, 2009

We bid on a 5 Star Hotel on the Riverwalk in San Antonio on PriceLine.com and this is the one we got. There is no way in anyone's definition of a 5 Star Hotel would this qualify. The service was sub-par, the beds small and uncomfortable, the rooms were small, you had to pay $15 a day for wi-fi, no room service to speak of and it is 4 blocks from anything including the Riverwalk. I was more upset with Priceline than I was with Marriott as the hotel was OK just not 5 Star. I would caution anyone using Priceline to be very careful on what you bid on, since one your price is accepted you cannot cancel or change. We were stuck in this crappy hotel for five nights.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with family
2 Thank Ranter88
waco, texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 17, 2009

Stayed in ajoining rooms. Large rooms, clean. Staff was very helpful in everyway. Location was great for us, not directly on riverwalk but only a few blocks away. Not a new hotel but plenty nice for the $. Mark in Waco

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with family
Irving, TX
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 9, 2009

First let me being by saying this is a beautiful hotel. Close to the Riverwalk, loved the room, atmosphere, grounds, etc. So I have no complaints as far as that goes.

However, I have been using priceline for years, and I have never been reminded constantly by the hotel that I am a "priceline" guest. It just sort of rubbed me the wrong way because I don’t think using priceline to book a room is a big deal. At no point were we asking for upgrades, extras, etc. This was just with minimal “check in/check out” interaction. I felt like the hotel staff could have been less concerned with the fact that we booked through priceline than whether or not we were enjoying our stay.

All in all the room was great, location was great, etc. It was just one of those things that I felt was unnecessary and an area where the hotel could improve on.

Amarillo, TX
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 9, 2009

The Consierge Club Room on 4th floor was the highlight of the property. The immenities of that service was superb with breakfast and evening snacks/desserts. But the service by Scott T. was fantastic. He never stopped moving to provide the most excellent and friendly service to each guest. He was knowledgeable of the hotel services as well as San Antonio's attractions. He was attentive to each person's/family's needs and personality. He remembered the names of many guests and was a bright spot to their stay. I felt personally welcomed and sensed a geniune interest from Scott in my friends and myself. I've stayed at The Plaza many times but have never enjoyed it as much as this stay.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled on business