“Fun, family friendly”

Ranked #70 of 355 Hotels in San Antonio
Houston, Texas
“Fun, family friendly”
Reviewed July 28, 2014 via mobile

We travelled to San Antonio on the 25th July with our two children (7,9). We chose the hotel as it was within walking distance of the Riverwalk and Alamo and we like the brand. What a lovely friendly hotel. Staff were polite, exceptionally helpful and best of all...they all had a great sense of humour. Down to earth and made us feel very welcome. Lovely fresh, clean rooms. Patio doors in our room were in need of a little TLC if I'm honest but nothing major and in a room for four people, four towels would have been nice but we coped. Plenty of towels pool side. Comfy bed and excellent AC, well needed in the triple digit heat. Loved the toiletries too.
Great activities for our kids at night: making S'mores at the fire pit and the Dive-in Movie show! They loved them both. Breakfast was the standard buffet style. Well worth it.
I contacted the hotel on Twitter for advice on things to do and see and they very helpfully pointed us in the right direction, San Antonio is a lovely city and I would recommend a visit. We will certainly be back.

Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank Jen_Aberdeen
Maria M, General Manager at Marriott Plaza San Antonio, responded to this review, August 21, 2014
Dear Ms. Aberdeen,

Thank you so much for sharing your experience about your recent trip to our hotel. The location is great and I think it is great for families. We sit on 6.5 acres of land with peacocks (great for the whole family) and amazing grounds. I love that you enjoyed our Smore's night at our fire pit and our "Dive In," movie. Our Guest Services team does an amazing job at hosting these wonderful activities for all our guests. Thank you so much for participation and joining in the events.

Thank you so much for the accolades for our team. I will be sure we share your review with our entire team at our Team Rally on Friday. I know each one of ladies and gentlemen sincerely want each guest to have a memorable stay.

Thank you for reaching out on our Twitter site as well. Any way we can be of help, we are delighted to help in any planning.

Thank you so much for sharing and I hope to see you the next time you visit San Antonio.

Always At Your Service,

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (206)
Las Vegas, Nevada
Reviewed July 27, 2014

We enjoyed an overnight visit to San Antonio. The pool was smaller than expected, but we enjoyed swimming and relaxing by the pool, sipping drinks from the pool-side bar. I also enjoyed taking pictures of one of the beautiful peacocks that live there. The bed was very comfy. What can be improved? Provide free wifi in rooms. We also did not enjoy the aromatherapy products from the bathroom. They were a little strange smelling. Would I stay here again? Yes. The walk to the river walk was not too bad...

Room Tip: Most rooms had a patio, but our second floor room did not. Be sure to ask when scheduling.
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
Liberal, Missouri
Reviewed July 23, 2014

We stayed for a few days while attending our sons graduation for the AirForce in Lackland, we loved the whole look of the hotel, from the peacocks too the pool and pit, reminded me of a villa or a home in the south... On Friday night they had s'mores at the fire pit and Saturday there was a movie night at the pool, and very helpful, friendly staff... I have stayed many different big name chains and Marriott are my favorite, we can't wait until we get to visit this one again

Fort Worth, Texas
Reviewed July 17, 2014

What a great weekend! We were in downtown without the noise and crowds of downtown. The amenities at this hotel extend beyond the room. We were a short walk to the Riverwalk and there was space for the kids to run and play safely on the property. The pool was perfect to accommodate all ages and swimming abilities. The hotel did a great job making the July 4th weekend fun with someone doing face painting and balloon animals and individual bags of popcorn on the lawn. My kids enjoyed feeding the peacock family every morning.

Houston, Texas
Reviewed July 13, 2014

This was my families first visit to this hotel over the Fourth of July holiday. I must say that this hotel was a wonderful experience for us. We were greeted by wonderful Thurston who throughout our stay was very helpful and accommodating to us. The pool area was awesome! Everyone working out there was so great to us especially our bartender Mary who made great drinks for us. There was cookies and punch in the lobby that our kids loved. In the evening we visited the lobby bar where Melissa was great and greeted us with a smile. My husband was so impressed how she kept up with how busy the evening was as we could tell she had no extra help with the big crowds. The next night she remembered us and what we were drinking! This is such a lovely hotel with superb staff and we will definitely be returning soon.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Maria M, General Manager at Marriott Plaza San Antonio, responded to this review, July 17, 2014
Dear Grace B,

I am thrilled you had a wonderful stay with us. We have a first class staff at the hotel and I am pleased they were able to make you feel at home during your stay. Our pool is a great opportunity to families to relax while on vacation, and we are happy you were able to enjoy it.

Thank you so much for the accolades for our team. I will share your comments with them at our next team rally.

Thank you for staying with us and I look forward to serving you in the future when you visit San Antonio!

Maria - General Manager
Cedar Park, Texas
Reviewed July 10, 2014

This was the perfect hotel for us for sightseeing along with rest and relaxation. It is close enough to all the downtown sites (Riverwalk, Alamo, Market Square) that many attractions are within walking distance or a quick trolley ride, but just enough off the beaten path that it doesn't feel so crowded and closed in like some of the other hotels in the downtown area.

The pool area is relaxing. I loved the royal blue tiles around the pool that gave it a Mexican flair and the water features in the courtyard. The staff is warm and friendly and we really appreciated all they did to make our stay an enjoyable one from the car valets, to the front desk to the attendants in the Concierge Lounge. All were wonderful.

The hotel is a little older, but the historic buildings on the property, the Peacocks roaming in the courtyard, and the water features, pool and gazebo make it such a nice experience. I also loved the walk into the hotel with the fountains and just the overall look of the lobby.

There is a Blue Line Trolley stop right outside the hotel, which will take you to the Alamo and a number of other places (all are listed at the stop). The Red Line Trolley Stop is just a 2-minute walk down to the next block, which will take you to Market Square and many other locations as well. The Riverwalk is a quick 5-minute walk down two blocks. There are also several restaurants within walking distance.

The only drawback I can see might be for those who are light sleepers. There is an Amtrack station across the street and the trains can make a little noise overnight coming into the station. It didn't bother me, but woke my husband up a few times. He is a light sleeper and I am not.

Room Tip: We initially had room 219, which has a lovely balcony that overlooks the courtyard area underneath a...
1 Thank SouperK
Dear SouperK,

I am thrilled you had a wonderful stay with us. Our proximity to the River Walk and several other San Antonio attractions makes our hotel an ideal location for visitors of San Antonio. Our guests also love watching the peacocks, and we are happy to see that you were able to enjoy them as well.

Thank you so much for staying with and we do hope you will let us host you again on your next trip to the area.

Maria - General Manager
Reviewed July 9, 2014 via mobile

We have loved our stay at this little gem tucked just off the "strip" of the Riverwalk and Alamo Market area. Beautiful courtyards and interior public spaces. They have a family of Peacocks that room the grounds along with a beautiful red-feathered pheasant. Lovely pool area with a bar and grill (hot tub too) - we spent a whole afternoon enjoying it! For the weekend, they had a talented young lady doing face painting and balloon animals for the kids. They had s'mores around the firepit in the evening. My daughter has had a sinus infection and stayed in the room while the rest of us went exploring. When the General Manager, Maria, found out, she offered to send up Gatorade to keep her hydrated. When we returned to the room, housekeeping management had checked up on her and sent up soup and crackers. They even included a treat for mom and dad! All of the staff was friendly and accommodating. One note, if you want to sleep in, don't stay on the courtyard side - the peacock doesn't sleep in! If we return to San Antonio, this will be our choice! Thank you for a great stay!

Stayed July 2014
1 Thank LaChelle B
Maria M, General Manager at Marriott Plaza San Antonio, responded to this review, July 10, 2014
Dear LaChelle B,

I am thrilled you had a wonderful stay with us. It was such a pleasure to meet you and your family. I am just sorry your daughter was under the weather. I really am so thrilled you enjoyed all the festivities. It is truly so important to our team that we created wonderful experiences for all our guests. I am sorry the peacock didn't cooperate with the sleeping in that weekend.

Thank you so much for the accolades for our team. I will share it in our team rally tomorrow.