“I would return”

Marriott Plaza San Antonio
Ranked #70 of 357 Hotels in San Antonio
Reviewed June 27, 2014

Reserved 2 king rooms for 2 nights to treat relatives to a get away. It was a big hassle to get the discount rate published in our AAA travel book, but the hotel did honor it. Seemed to be a breakdown in communication between corporate and booking center - which the hotel transfers you to if you try to call them direct. We ended up with a king room and a double instead of 2 kings. One room faced the main road and one faced the courtyard. We were glad we didn't try to share a double room as the beds proved to be small even though they were described as "oversized doubles" by the desk. Rooms and hotel were very clean.

We were a little concerned about the noise as reviewed by others. Yes the street is noisy and you can hear trains at night. This is a city after all so noise is to be expected. The street settled down late evening hours and wasn't a big deal. The courtyard room could hear the trains but not the street noise. If you travel with a small fan or noise machine it might help.

We had some issues with housekeeping not cleaning one of our rooms when we were gone all day. It took 2 trips to the desk to get them to come up. We met another gentleman not pleased about his room being skipped also. The desk is well staffed and has the attitude of "It's all good". They were friendly enough but laid back about everything. I would recommend that if you choose this hotel that you voice your expectations clearly, such as "I would like to have my room cleaned before I return at 3 PM." Then be ready to go with the flow.

Would recommend visiting Rick the bartender. He's a local man who is a fountain of tourist advice and information. We followed his advice on restaurants and sights and weren't disappointed. There were 2 men at the front door who offered us information on transportation and gave us water bottles. There are many types of transportation readily available. If you choose to walk, remember to pack your best walking shoes. Another item we weren't prepared for was mosquitoes. Apparently they are bad after it rains. If you forget to bring spray there is some for sale in the hotel gift shop.

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank MinnRoadTrip
Maria M, General Manager at Marriott Plaza San Antonio, responded to this reviewResponded July 5, 2014

Dear MinnRoadTrip,

I am delighted to hear that you had a wonderful stay while in San Antonio. Thank you for all your feedback and suggestions you provided. Our goal is to always exceed our guests expectations and this helps us, as a team, tremendously, so we can continue to improve upon our service.

I apologize for any confusion with the AAA rate. I will follow up with our sales team to ensure that this is cleared up. We do not have a room type with two king beds, so thank you for letting me know so that I can have this addressed. I apologize for any delay in response by our front desk. I have spoken with our Front Office Manager about your comments and she is taking action.

I am delighted to read that you encountered wonderful service in our bar. Thank you for your accolades for Rick at the bar. He is fantastic and is very knowledgeable about the city. I will be sure to recognize him.

Thank you again for sharing your comments and suggestions. I hope to see you again when you return to the San Antonio area.

Reviewed June 24, 2014

This hotel is located in a great spot, between the Art's district and Downtown. Nice restaurants within walking distance and away from the race of activity associated with downtown. The hotel has charm in abundance and peacocks roaming freely about the courtyard. Wish the pool bar would have been open during the week.

Room Tip: No need to spend extra for a poolside room
  • Stayed: June 2014, traveled on business
1  Thank Terry K
Maria M, General Manager at Marriott Plaza San Antonio, responded to this reviewResponded June 25, 2014

Dear Terry K.

Thank you so much for taking the time to share your experience. I am thrilled you had a wonderful stay. The location is right in the middle of everything; La Villita, King Williams Distric, just a block from the Riverwalk and we still have amazing grounds. The highlight for many travlelers who have stayed are the peacocks. They are truly special and love our guests!

Thank you so much again for your feedback. I hope to see you again during your next trip to San Antonio!

Reviewed June 21, 2014 via mobile

I stayed at this hotel for a conference. It does not look like a traditional Marriott in that much of it is reminiscent of a Holiday Inn or Hampton Inn or maybe even a Days Inn. I would say it is not particularly luxurious but it has a neat feel to it. There is a courtyard with peacocks roaming free and there is an interesting open air layout in the hotel entry area.

My big disappointment with this hotel was that it was a walk to attractions. Please don't get me wrong - it wasn't a long walk to the Alamo or the Riverwalk or restaurants or shopping; however, I would have preferred to step out of my hotel and be right in the middle of things and not have to walk 5-10 blocks.

Overall, this was a fine hotel but if you want to feel pampered and be closer to what's going on in SA, you may want to consider other options.

Stayed: January 2014, traveled on business
Nikki G, Front Office Manager at Marriott Plaza San Antonio, responded to this reviewResponded June 23, 2014

Dear MsEBandMrVB,

Thank you so much for taking the time to share your experience with us. One of the things that sets us apart from the other hotels in the area is our location, being we are not right in the heart of downtown but still close enough to walk to. We sit on 6.5 acres of beautiful lush gardens and courtyards. With original houses from La Villita and a beautiful pool area; it really feels like an oasis.

While we are not as close as you would like to be in the downtown area I hope that you will give us another opportunity to serve you.

Thank you so much for sharing your experience and I hope to see you during your next trip to San Antonio.

Always At Your Service

Reviewed June 18, 2014

I stayed here primarily to attend a conference and brought my wife as well. From the moment we checked in every member of the staff we encountered were not only courteous but extremely delightful. This made us feel very welcome and it stands out for me as well as my wife.

The pool is very nice and it feels more like an oasis. The staff had towels set on the lounge chairs and it was a nice touch when you arrive. Food in the main restaurant and in the concierge lounge meet my expectations.

The walk to the Riverwalk was not far at all.

We had a room on a top floor that had a vaulted ceiling and plenty of space so you do not feel claustrophobic. Even though our stay was for less than a week we could imaging staying here for a lengthy stay.

Would I return here - YES. If I ever return to stay this will be my first and only choice.

Stayed: June 2014, traveled on business
1  Thank K_d_Social_One
Maria M, General Manager at Marriott Plaza San Antonio, responded to this reviewResponded June 20, 2014

Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you so much for taking the time to share your experience with us. I am delighted that you and your wife had a wonderful time during your conference. Thank you so much for your accolades for our team. I will be sure to share your review with our entire team. We genuinely want to exceed our guest’s expectations and make sure they have a memorable experience.

I was so happy to read you enjoyed the pool and the grounds of the hotel. I agree that it feed like an oasis. It is beautiful and it is hard to believe we are right downtown, still close to everything.

Thank you so much for sharing your review and I look forward to having the pleasure to serve you again in the future.

Reviewed May 28, 2014

What a pleasant surprise to find this resort like hotel in the heart of the city. One feels as if you are miles away, yet the location is ideal for tourism and business. It is a warm and inviting retreat. The courtyard and lobby are inviting......and staff very helpful including the concierge lounge. The halls are showing a bit of wear and rooms are typical Marriott...............but again it is a very inviting and relaxing hotel. I would stay there again.

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled on business
Maria M, General Manager at Marriott Plaza San Antonio, responded to this reviewResponded June 4, 2014

Dear DMMGTM,

Thank you so much for taking the time to share your review of your recent stay with us. I sincerely appreciate the feedback.

I am delighted to read that you enjoyed the grounds at the hotel. It is truly a unique setting, being on 6.5 acres of land, right in the middle of downtown. I am always happy to ready that our guests find it very relaxing and enjoyable. I am also thrilled that the service you received was wonderful, especially the concierge. I will share this feedback with our entire team.

Thank you for your comments regarding the hallways and I will share this as well.

I hope to see you the next time you visit San Antonio and please do not hesitate to let me know should you have any other suggestions on how we can better improve.

Reviewed May 27, 2014

Stayed here for a girlfriend's 40th birthday party. Overall a clean hotel. I am a Marriott member but lost all my status about five years ago when I stopped traveling for work. It was a nice treat to have fruit/cheese plate in my room. That was extremely nice of them. The rooms are large and comfortable. I love their pillows. I may ask for one for my birthday, as they are the best pillows. Room had a little refrigerator. Bathroom is all in one. Sink, toilet and shower all in the bathroom. I had a nice room looking the courtyard. The have a beautiful peacock in the courtyard. Parking is a bit high. $25 a night for self. The front desk staff is matter a fact. Not that friendly but not rude. Breakfast buffet is located at the hotel. One of the other girls still is platinum with Marriott so that was included in her room. A short three block walk to the riverwalk. Never felt in danger come and going from the hotel. Pool area is nice. Overall a typical Marriott. Staff could be a tad friendlier but they get the job done. The guys out front are nice as is the breakfast crew. If back in town will look them up again.

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled with friends
Maria M, General Manager at Marriott Plaza San Antonio, responded to this reviewResponded May 30, 2014

Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you so much for taking the time to share your review on Trip Advisor. I am pleased that you had a nice stay and you enjoyed the welcome amenity for being our Guest of the Day! We randomly choose guests to honor and show our appreciation for choosing to stay with us.

Thank you for your feedback regarding the parking. Being downtown, the majority of hotels charge and we always make sure we are competitive for our guests. Thank you for your understanding.

Thank you again for sharing your experience and I hope you all had a wonderful time with your friend for her birthday.

Reviewed May 18, 2014 via mobile

A brief walk to the Alamo and Riverwalk, this hotel feels closer to a remote resort than a downtown hotel. The grounds are lovely and welcoming. It's location was the primary reason of choice along with the excellent pool since we traveled with children. My only disappointment was that our room was located next to elevator. I quickly realised we would hear the rumble of the elevator all night. I requested a different room and was promptly brought keys to a quiet room. Our quiet room never got cold at night, which I usual enjoy about hotels. However, it was still a pleasant though brief stay.

• Stayed: May 2014

Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you so much for sharing your review and thank you for staying with us during your visit to San Antonio. I am pleased to read we were able to relocate you to a prefered location. We always do our best to be able to accomodate every request. Thank you for letting us know, so that we could move you somewhere more comfortable.

I am so pleased you had a great visist and I love reading that you enjoyed our beautiful grounds. I agree, it is like an oasis. We sit on 6.5 acres of beautiful lush gardens and courtyards. With original houses from La Villita and a beautiful pool area; it really feels like an oasis.