“Enjoyed our stay”

Ranked #65 of 354 Hotels in San Antonio
Wheeling, WV
“Enjoyed our stay”
Reviewed November 22, 2013

We stayed three nights at the Marriott Plaza San Antonio in Mid-November. My husband had a conference at the hotel, and afterward we stayed another two nights to sightsee. Our room was very large, with a vaulted ceiling that made it seem even larger. The beds were very comfortable. The room was kept very clean and was well maintained. We had a good size balcony and took advantage of the warm temperatures to sit outside on several occasions. The bathroom was large and clean, with probably the best shower head I've had the pleasure to experience.

My overall rating would have been excellent if free wi-fi had been available in the guest room. It is a pet peeve of mine that higher end hotels such as Marriotts, Hiltons, etc. charge over $10 per day for wireless access, while mid-priced hotels, such as Hamptons, Holiday Inns, etc. provide wi-fi for free in the guest rooms. On the positive side, they did allow guests to check in for flights and print boarding passes in the business center. The last Marriott I stayed in even charged for use of the computer in the business center. There was free wi-fi in the lobby, which we took advantage of.

The hotel lobby was lovely, and very comfortable to spend time in to use the wi-fi. There is also beautiful garden area just off the lobby, where the pool is located. We enjoyed watching the beautiful peacocks strutting around the gardens.

The staff at this hotel were all very professional, friendly and helpful. This was especially evident in the hotel restaurant. This is a very nice place to enjoy a meal in a relaxing and lovely setting.

The hotel is within easy walking distance of the Riverwalk and Alamo, very convenient!

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Maria M, General Manager at Marriott Plaza San Antonio, responded to this review, December 4, 2013
Dear LibraLady,

Thank you so much for taking the time to share your experience at our Marriott. It is our pleasure to be of service and I am so happy to read that you had a great stay.

I apologize for the WIFI charge. We do offer complimentary internet in the lobby and business center. I am glad you were able to use those. You never know when Marriott will change that and I think they are working on a new solution for the near future. Thank you so much for your feedback.

I am so thrilled to read that the staff you encountered was professional and friendly. I know they want each guest to have a great experience and will help make that happen any way they can.

Thank you again for choosing to stay with us and for sharing your experience.

Happy Holidays!

Warm Wishes,

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (202)
Elm Grove
Reviewed November 22, 2013

Stayed here for 5 nites for my birthday in October celebration, (10-9 to 10-16). We always go to a different city and stay at a Marriott property for my birthday. We had never been to Texas so we decided it would be fun to go to San Antonio. I researched all of the Marriott properties in San Antonio and I am very glad I decided to stay at the Marriott Plaza. I am a platnium rewards member so I expect to be upgraded and this property did not disappoint. I requested a room on the congiere floor with a balcony facing the pool. The front desk made sure this request was honored. They even let us change rooms when the first room we were assigned didn't have a good view of the pool area. We really like drinking bottles of wine on our balcony and people watching. Everybody treated us like we were very special. Thurston arranged to have champagne and a cheese plate sent to our room since it was my birthday. He also took the time to drive us to the restaurant where we were going to celebrate my birthday. He is a very special man and is very good at his job.

Loved the location of the hotel, the pool area and gardens and the congierge lounge. The only negative was the parking fee. It looked like there were several lots near to this hotel where we could have parked if we would have taken the time to research it. Also, I have to agree with one of the other reviews that said the congierge lounge needed to be cleaned and restocked on the weekend. I went into the lounge on Sunday morning and it was a complete mess. Garbage was everywhere and it needed to be restocked. I let one of the mangers know and it was cleaned by Sunday night but it was not restocked.

Room Tip: Get a balcony room facing the pool area on a high floor.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Maria M, General Manager at Marriott Plaza San Antonio, responded to this review, December 2, 2013
Dear Barbara,

Thank you for choosing to come and visit us in San Antonio here at the Marriott Plaza, especially for something as special as a birthday getaway. Thank you also for your loyalty as a Marriott Rewards Platinum member and always choosing Marriott wherever your travels take you.

I am absolutely delighted you had a wonderful stay with us and you received everything just as you expected. I will be sure to share your feedback with our team and with Thurston. He is amazing and always looks for opportunities to surprise our guests, especially when he knows they are celebrating something special. I am so happy this was a wonderful and memorable stay.

Being downtown we do charge for our parking. I am sorry if this caused any inconvenience. There are several lots around the hotel. Most charge each time you go in and out. Again, I apologize for any inconvenience.

Thank you again for choosing to stay with us and for taking the time to share your feedback.

Happy Birthday for all of us at the Marriott Plaza San Antonio!

Mankato, Minnesota
Reviewed November 19, 2013

We spent 5 nights from 11-13 to 11-18 at the Plaza and it was very enjoyable. The staff at the front desk were more than helpful with all requests and questions. The location was ideal as it is easy to get in and out of. The room was better than we expected. Kudos to the valet staff especially Joe and Johnny who were more than helpful with directions and great to visit with while spending time out front. Would recommend this hotel to anybody heading to the San Antonio area!

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
Maria M, General Manager at Marriott Plaza San Antonio, responded to this review, November 21, 2013
Dear Cigarman,

Thank you for choosing to stay with us at the Marriott Plaza San Antonio and for taking the time to share your experience on Trip Advisor. I sincerely appreciate your feedback.

It is wonderful to see that you enjoyed your time with us and that is was a great location as well. I will also be sure to share your review with Joe and Johnny our Valet Attendants. They are fantastic and they truly love what they do and enjoy spending time with our guests. Thank you so much for sharing!

I hope to see you the next time you are in San Antonio!

Katy, Texas
Reviewed November 18, 2013

Over the years I have stayed at MANY hotels in San Antonio and most of them were great. What sets this one apart from the crowd is the setting. There are huge, beautiful oaks and lush vines and greenery. There are two historic cottages on the premises, and these types of things are so interesting to me. The service was perfect, from our fabulous waiter to the bell boys at curbside. I loved sitting on my balcony at night and watching the guests seated around the large firepit, hearing their laughter, in a pretty courtyard. At breakfast we were seated at a lovely table (the huge, cushy chairs were to die for) with a view of the peacock family holding court on the lawn. I read the bad reviews out of curiosity and noticed that some didn't like the age of the hotel. That is what makes it special to me! They have updated what needed to be and maintained the vintage (even historical) parts. After all, San Antonio is all about Texas history. We will be back!

• Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank JanaMae
Dear JanaMae,

Thank you so much for choosing to stay with us at Marriott Plaza San Antonio and for taking the time to share your experience on Trip Advisor.

I am so thrilled you loved the unique experience our hotel has to offer. San Antonio is full of Colorful History and our hotel holds some awesome treasures. The German School House where the NAFTA agreement was also signed three original houses from the first neighborhood in San Antonio; Victoria's House, the Elmendorf House and the Arciniega House. All filled with wonderful history!

I am so happy you were able to enjoy the garden and the peacocks. We like to say it is our little oasis right in downtown.

We are honored to be your new favorite hotel and it was our pleasure to be of service to you. It is so awesome to hear that you have wonderful memories of your stay. That is truly our goal and I will share with our entire team.

I hope to see you the next time you visit San Antonio!

L.A.
Reviewed November 10, 2013

I just returned from San Antonio, TX where I had a conference in town. I was disappointed to not be able to stay at the "host" hotel and had to settle for the Marriott Plaza. What a wonderful surprise it was to find out that I got the better of the place. After attending meetings in most the areas hotels, I can honestly say that the Marriott Plaza was far and away the better hotel. The service was kind and professional, the rooms were modern and quiet, and it is centrally located. Bonus ***If you're staying here, ask for one of the rooms that grants your concierge status. You get special access to all the drinks and snacks that you want!

Room Tip: Choose the concierge rooms!
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Staffing_Man
Dear Valued Guest-

I was thrilled to read your review and that we were a great surprise! I too think we have a wonderful hotel with an awesome location. I am so happy you enjoyed your stay with us and found our hotel.

I am always very happy that our team took great care of you while you were here for your meetings. We know traveling can be stressful and we want to be sure all our team is wonderful hosts. I will be sure to share with our entire team.

Thank you again for choosing to stay with us and I hope to see you again the next time you visit San Antonio!

Virginia Beach, Virginia
Reviewed November 10, 2013 via mobile

Always love staying at a Marriott property and this was no exception. Right downtown, walking distance to the riverwalk, very friendly staff, and the best nights sleep I have had in a while. That's why I stay here, they never disappoint.

Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
Dear Dave,

Thank you so much for staying with us at Marriott Plaza San Antonio and for taking the time to share your review on Trip Advisor. Thank you for your loyalty to Marriott and I am thrilled that you had another wonderful experience... and that you were able to get some rest! The hotel has a wonderful relaxing setting. I am also happy to read that out team were friendly and helpful to you during your stay. That is our goal and it is our pleasure to be of service.

Thank you again for your review and I hope to see you during your next trip to San Antonio!

Houston, Texas
Reviewed November 6, 2013

I love the Marriott Plaza in San Antonio. It’s a great experience every time I stay. I love the short walk to the Riverwalk and so many other attractions. Staff members are always so helpful and kind. The amenities are great and the rooms are clean and comfortable.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled solo
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for your review on your recent stay with us. I am so happy that you had a wonderful experience and that all our team members you encountered were wonderful hosts. That is our goal. I know our team is so passionate about ensuring our guests have a wonderful and memorable experience.

Thank you again for your feedback and I hope to see you the next time you visit the Riverwalk!