“Quieter option for Riverwalk visit”

Marriott Plaza San Antonio
Ranked #66 of 354 Hotels in San Antonio
Round Rock, Texas
“Quieter option for Riverwalk visit”
Reviewed May 7, 2013

My husband & I visit San Antonio about once a year. We've "done" the Riverwalk numerous times. So, on our most recent visit, we wanted a hotel that was a litter farther away from the busy-ness of the tourist area, yet was still accessible to downtown sites. The Marriott Plaza fit that well. It's located just off the Riverwalk -- easily within walking distance, but far enough away to not feel overrun by conventioneers or big party groups. The hotel is big enough to offer the amenities you're looking for, but small enough for personal attention.

Our room was comfortable, though nothing special. Parking is just across from the hotel itself; the hotel charged too much for parking, but it was worth it for convenience sake. The hotel was clean and neat.

The hotel is located very near to Hemisfair plaza, the La Villita area, and the historic King William District (take a little while and do a walking tour of the grand old houses there), in addition to the aforementioned Riverwalk.

Overall, I'd recommend the Marriott Plaza for travelers looking for a quieter hotel that's still easy to get to.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Maria M, General Manager at Marriott Plaza San Antonio, responded to this review, May 9, 2013
Dear SDSUGRAD,

Thank you for choosing to stay with us during your recent visit to San Antonio. We are unique in that we sit on 6.5 acres of land, yet we are still very close to the Riverwalk and all the city attractions. I am happy to hear you enjoyed the peacefulness of our location. I am also happy to read you had a great experience. If you have any other suggestions or comments, please feel free to contact me directly.

Thank you for taking the time to share your review.

Always At Your Service,

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (202)
DC
Reviewed May 3, 2013

Stay was OK; however, each day brought a new headache in what they were doing to clean and seal the outside walkways. Day-by-day, sections of the walkways were closed-off and smelly from the fumes, and the access to the fitness center needed to be closed-off for many hours on one of the days. Hotel itself seems a bit dated in room and other furnishings (what I'll call typical Marriott); however, the courtyard is quite nice. Elevators seemed quite slow. One problem was that the in-room coffee bags didn't get replenished each day, and why do Marriott hotels only seem to offer one bag of caffeinated and one bag of decaffeinated coffee each day (enough for one cup of coffee)? Walking access to the convention center was great; however, look at a map to discover the shortest walking distance(s) to where you are planning to go in the convention center (there are back entrances to the convention center that you may want to use).

Dear Valued Guest,

I believe you stayed with us back in early March. That was the only time we had working being done on the entry. That since then has been completed and I apologize for an inconvenience. Thank you for your understanding and patience during that time. We always want to continue to improve upon our hotel and I am so sorry for any hardship this caused.

You had mentioned the coffee selection in your room. If you should ever need any more than what we provide as a standard, we are more than happy to provide extra for your ease. At Your Service can provide any of these items in the room and we will let housekeeping know, so they can leave extra daily.

Thank you for taking the time to share your review.

Danville, California
Reviewed April 29, 2013

If you're looking for a property that's close to the Riverwalk, the personnel are warm and helpful, has a great pool setting and offers a reasonable price, then this particular hotel is a perfect choice. Traveling with my husband for a business mtg., I was open to visit San Antonio and enjoy outings or relax by the pool during our four-day stay. The location is perfect to the proximity of the Riverwalk, restaurants, shops and the San Antonio conference center. Our stay was in mid-March where the temps ranged from 93 to low 70's, which made pool time challenging. At the time of our stay, the hotel was updating the pool area with new tile, power washing water fountains, replanting pots and adding new coats of paint, etc., for the summer season. Even though this construction was ongoing (our room overlooked the courtyard and pool area), the crew and hotel staff (top dogs, too) made it a point to minimize the noise and disruption. I did spend two afternoons at the pool. The hotel staff made up for the inconvenience with their welcome and warm greetings each day as well as their great recommendations for restaurants, etc. We ate breakfast twice in the hotel restaurant. Service was always with a smile, food was good and timing was above average. It was a great stay and when I was relaxing at the hotel, I enjoyed the sport of watching all the construction and the overall sprucing up the hotel for the cheerleading teams checking in the day we left. Given that meant more then 200 excited, bubbly and darling little girls and teens, it was a great time to leave. Good to know the staff prepares in this fashion for all types of hotel stays and experiences. (They cater to more then just professional mtgs.). If we're ever visiting San Antonio again, I'd love to stay at the Marriott Plaza again. Best wishes to a great staff. Tks for your hospitality.

Room Tip: We were fortunate to have a courtyard room. Hotel staff were very good about winding down any outsid...
1 Thank Kathryn H
Maria M, General Manager at Marriott Plaza San Antonio, responded to this review, May 4, 2013
Dear Kathryn H.,
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience about your stay at the Marriott Plaza San Antonio. I am so happy that you were able to enjoy the pool area while you were here and although there were some noise from improvements being made, that the team ensured you were comfortable.
The courtyard rooms are wonderful and the grounds are beautiful. Sitting on 6.5 acres in San Antonio allows us to create a unique experience that is hard to find in a down town hotel.
I have shared your comments with our entire team! We do have many types of travelers and we are committed to making sure we deliver the best customer service, so each stay can be memorable.
I hope to see you back if you visit San Antonio!
Thank you for staying with us and thank you again for sharing your experience!
Lake Saint Louis, Missouri
Reviewed April 27, 2013

I stayed at this Marriott hotel in March and was very impressed with the courtesy of the staff and they're attentiveness to detail and requests. The Plaza is not one of the mega hotels in San Antonio which in itself is a plus for those business and leisure travelers looking for the amenities of a large hotel with the personal care of a small one.

Dear STLHawkeye,

Thank you so much for choosing to stay with us at Marriott Plaza San Antonio. Thank you for your accolades for the ladies and gentleman that work on our team. Providing excellent service that is both personal and memorable is very important to all of us. I will be sure to share your comments with our entire team.

I thank you for sharing your experience and I hope to see you back when you visit the San Antonio area again.

Toronto
Reviewed April 26, 2013

Just returned from a 4 night stay. We had a king bed room on 3rd floor facing into courtyard. Good sized room, extra chairs and tables made dining-in very comfortable. Peacock was there but not very noticeable when balcony door was closed. Incredibly HOT water in bathroom really got us clean after long daytime walks. We had concierge lounge access (I'm gold) and the breakfast (always HOT and fresh) and evening snacks were great. We happened to be there during Fiesta week so even though they were busy/full, everyone was very friendly and helpful. We'd stay here again when in San Antonio.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear usaw1,

Thank you for staying with us during your recent trip to San Antonio and thank you as well for your loyalty as a Gold Marriott Rewards Member. I am happy to read that you had a wonderful stay and were able to enjoy our concierge lounge, the room and the view of the courtyard. At Fiesta time, we have a lot of travelers and our goal is to still ensure that we are able to make sure every guest is comfortable, having a wonderful stay and that they know we are here to serve.

Thank you so much for taking the time to share your review of your stay and of our Marriott. I hope to see you the next time you visit San Antonio.

San Antonio, Texas
Reviewed April 23, 2013

Every year my wife and I go on a quick getaway to downtown San Antonio. This was the 5th time at the Marriott Plaza Hotel. Having stayed at many different hotels in downtown San Antonio, the Marriott Plaza Hotel, is by far, our favorite. I travel three days a week for work, and my company uses every hotel imaginable. So, this would seem, like just another hotel for a seasoned traveler. Well, it is not! The hotel is beautiful and very relaxing for a downtown hotel. The grounds are manicured, and the rooms are as nice as Marriott's category 8 hotel. The food is excellent as well. What separates this hotel apart from every other nice hotel, is the staff. I can't say enough good things about the people who work at this hotel. Bell staff, front desk staff, bar and restaurant staff, concierge room staff, and housekeeping staff were all "over the top" friendly. I had my parents join us for this trip, and they were amazed at how they were treated as well. They too, are hooked on the San Antonio Marriott Plaza Hotel. Thanks to the staff for a great stay!!!!!!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank JeffW25
Maria M, General Manager at Marriott Plaza San Antonio, responded to this review, April 24, 2013
Dear Jeff W.,

First, thank you so much for returning each year to the Marriott Plaza San Antonio for your getaway. I was delighted to read your email regarding the stunning property and the wonderful ladies and gentleman on our team. We strive to not only meet our guest’s expectations but exceed them. I know each team member genuinely care for each guest. It is wonderful to see our guests each year and their families. We are honored we play a small part in making a memorable experience for all. Anything we can do to make your stay more enjoyable or get you what we need, we are happy and ready to serve.

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience and thank you for your loyalty to the Marriott Plaza. We look forward to seeing your family next year (or even sooner)!

Sarasota FL
Reviewed April 23, 2013

Enjoyed our 3 night stay at the Plaza. Comfortable room. Friendly staff. Free Starbucks coffee in the lobby in morning. Cool fruit flavored water in the afternoon. Only a 5 minute walk to the famed River Walk. About 10-15 minutes to the Alamo. We flew in and never rented a car. Taxi from airport to hotel was about $27. We had 6 people, so it was a "deal"!

Cons: Train horns in middle of the night. LONG horns! Every hour or 2 on the weekdays all night long. Not good. But you would hear these horns no matter what hotel you are in. The hotel hosts a beautiful peacock in their courtyard. However, at night, if you have a room on the courtyard side, the bird can make some awful noises early (and I mean early) morning! If you have a choice, get a room on the opposite side of the courtyard! Just a fair warning! I am surprised more guests do not complain.

But the hotel itself is great. We enjoyed our stay and recommend. We paid in advance thru AAA and got our rooms for $145 including all taxes. Good deal!

Room Tip: The hotel hosts a beautiful peacock in their courtyard. However, at night, if you have a room on th...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
Dear pclarry,

Thank you for your recent review on Trip Advisor and for choosing to stay with us. I am sorry that you heard the horns from the train in the evening. Those trains go through downtown and thank you for your understanding. I also know our peacock has been a little on the vocal side these past few weeks. I apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused. He is beautiful and is quite the show man during the day. I am readying up on anything that we can do.

I am happy to hear that you enjoyed our coffee service we provide in the morning and our fresh Elixir water throughout the day. It is just a small way to thank all our guests for staying with us. I am also happy to read that you had a wonderful service experience with our team. We always strive to go above and beyond. Anything suggestions or feedback we do our best to improve on for future guests.

Thank you again for your feedback and taking the time to share your experience. I do hope we see you again when you visit San Antonio.