“Relaxing for family or business”

Marriott Plaza San Antonio
Ranked #71 of 358 Hotels in San Antonio
Denton, Texas
“Relaxing for family or business”
Reviewed March 18, 2013

Spring Break with two teens is challenging enough, but San Antonio is always challenging. Discovered Marriott Plaza while looking through tripadvisor as well as Marriott websites and discovered a full service hotel without all the boring San Antonio corporate/convention stuff. A courtyard with historic buildings, plenty of huge trees, and wandering peacocks with attractive pool area were enough to convince, then add on availability of concierge lounge and one block away from riverwalk as an option. Ours was a family trip just to get away, but not one to do the riverwalk stuff -- been there too many times and it never changes. Rather, we spent an entire day visiting every one of the five missions to soak in history and do some learning while also relaxing. This was a great hotel for a base. Rooms are average but the balcony was a very nice touch. Concierge lounge not crowded [often a problem with other hotels] and room service food very good. However, what set this hotel apart was the courtyard. Huge trees with grassy areas surrounding three historic [restored] buildings made the visual wonderful. Pool area was nice, both in size and appearance. You can't beat seeing peacocks wandering around as a means of distracting you from the worries to be put aside on a vacation.

Room Tip: High floor rooms with courtyard view -- concierge access is worth it.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Maria M, General Manager at Marriott Plaza San Antonio, responded to this review, April 19, 2013
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your review on Trip Advisor. I am thrilled you had a wonderful spring break with us and it sounds as if you saw many attractions. I am happy to read that you were able to relax some as well. We want every guest to not only have an amazing time visiting attractions but be able to unwind and relax upon returning. Anything our team can do to help you accomplish both, we will do!

Thank you for choosing to stay with us and we hope to see you on your next visit to San Antonio.

Always At Your Service,

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (212)
Reviewed March 16, 2013 via mobile

Undeniably the best hotel experience I've ever had. The hotel is beautiful. It is clean and well kept. The staff is friendly and helpful. The grounds are gorgeous. I loved sitting by the fire each night enjoying the Texas weather. It is much more than a place to sleep. I will definately be staying here again!

Dear donaldsonw,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience at the Marriott Plaza San Antonio. Thank you for your accolades on the beautiful grounds and staff. We want each guest to feel special and know how much we appreciate their business. I am thrilled you were able to enjoy all the amenities we offer, such as our fire pit and the amazing grounds.

We hope to see you back soon the next time you visit San Antonio.

Thank you again for taking the time to share your review.

Fort Worth, Texas
Reviewed March 16, 2013 via mobile

We normally stay at The Grand Hyatt or The Westin on the Riverwalk, but decided to try this hotel out. I can definitely say it is no where close to the Westin. The rooms are average. The beds are terrible and the pillows given are even worse. I couldn't sleep because both were so uncomfortable. Once I did get up for the day, my back was aching. The valet didn't greet us any of the times we arrived. My husband had to go find a cart for luggage, load up the entire thing. We had a lot because we had two small children with us. Once we were walking into the hotel, a man asked if we needed help. I will never stay at this hotel again. We will continue to stay at The Westin River Walk.

• Stayed March 2013
1 Thank Christy D
Maria M, General Manager at Marriott Plaza San Antonio, responded to this review, March 18, 2013
Dear Christy D.,

Thank you for taking the time to share your review on Trip Advisor. Our goal is that every guest has a wonderful experience and I sincerely apologize that your stay could have been better. Feedback is wonderful for me as it gives us every opportunity to become better. However, I do need more details to further look into the issues you expressed in your review. If you could please contact me directly; that way I can get the specifics. Any concerns, as General Manager, every guest has my committment to address and to do our best to resolve so that it is not experienced again.

Again, my sincerest apologies, as this is not the norm for our hotel or does it meet my expectations. I look forward to hearing from you.

Lexington, Massachusetts
Reviewed March 15, 2013

This hotel is lovely! The grounds are beautiful and peaceful after the crowds on the RiverWalk. The rooms were impressively clean and the staff very friendly. Close to the Convention center and Hemisphere Park. I recommend this for families or conventioneers.

Room Tip: You can choose a room overlooking the pool (which could be quieter at night) or the side street (whi...
Dear AmyR50,

Thank you for choosing to stay with us at Marriott Plaza San Antonio. I am delighted you had a wonderful time and enjoyed the 6.5 acres of land we have. We are very close to all the amazing attractions San Antonio offers but our unique location also allows you to relax and have that resort, oasis feeling. The grounds are beautiful and you can relax in our courtyard, sit in the Gazebo, relax by the pool or warm up at night at our fire pit.

Thank you so much for sharing your experience. I am delighted you had a wonderful stay. Please come see us again during your next trip to San Antonio.

Seattle, Washington
Reviewed March 14, 2013

Must admit, the rooms are pretty ordinary ( for an American hotel...they would seem luxuriously large in many countries), and bathrooms so-so, but really appreciated the "campus" with its historical buildings, peacocks, and nice landscaping. Whirlpool is dated, with not much jet water action...more like a soaking tub. Our conference had several catered meals, and they were all excellent. I thought we might be disappointed by not being right in the center of downtown, but we actually grew to love the location for its quietness and proximity to the less-touristed restaurants south of the hotel, and it's a quick walk to the Riverwalk. Definitely ask for a courtyard-facing room with a balcony; the ones facing the parking lot can't be nearly as enjoyable.
Only complaint is that the thermostat in our rooms (we changed rooms once, so were in two different ones during our six night stay) seemed to be for looks only. Whether you turned it up or down, you got cold air blasting at you, which wasn't welcome in the coolish weather we had while there. It was most comfortable when we just turned the system off.

Room Tip: Courtyard with balcony could make all the difference in how you feel about your stay here.
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you so much for choosing to stay with us at the Marriott and for taking the time to share your review. I am so glad you enjoyed your stay with us. Thank you for your feedback on the AC units. I have shared your information with our engineering team.

We want each guest to be as comfortable as possible and I appreciate you letting us know. We always are looking for ways to better serve our guests.

Thank you again and we hope to see you the next trip to San Antonio.

New York City, New York
Reviewed March 13, 2013

The Marriott Plaza has to be the best kept secret in San Antonio. CLEAN! Spacious rooms. VERY ATTENTIVE staff. We arrived early and our room was ready for us. Great location - walking distance to The Alamo and River Walk. A+

Room Tip: We stayed on the firstfloor and the room was very quiet.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Maria M, General Manager at Marriott Plaza San Antonio, responded to this review, April 13, 2013
Dear Warren G.,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience at the Marriott Plaza San Antonio. Thank you for your accolades on the cleanliness of our property. Our housekeeping team work diligently to ensure every room and every space is clean and comfortable for our guests. I will share your comments with team. I am so happy you saw they were all attentive. We want each guest to feel special and know how much we appreciate their business.
I am so glad you enjoyed the Riverwalk and the Alamo and all the amazing culture this city offers. We hope to see you back the next time you visit San Antonio.

Thank you again for taking the time to share your review.

yukon, ok
Reviewed March 11, 2013

I found the staff to be very helpfull, it starts with the manager and each employee. Being near river walk is a plus. The hotel is making changes inside and out in order to make everyone feel at home, top shelf staff.

Dear Steve S.,

Thank you so much for sharing your experience that you had at Marriott Plaza San Antonio. I am thrilled that each of our associates you encountered was ready to serve. That is our goal with each guest, so they have the most memorable stay.

Thank you again for your review and I will be sure to share with our entire team!