“Return to an elegant time.”

Noble Inns - The Oge House, Inn on the Riverwalk
Ranked #4 of 41 San Antonio B&B and Inns
Reston, VA
“Return to an elegant time.”
Reviewed September 8, 2009

I've stayed at the Oge House Inn on the Riverwalk at least a dozen times. The location in historic King William is a draw, as is the immediate proximity of the inn to a lesser traveled part of the Riverwalk. The inn itself is beautifully appointed, filled with antiques and charming from the moment you walk in the door. The breakfasts are delicious, too. Best of all, you get a taste of an elegant era of Southern gentility married to Texas hospitality. Far from being a museum piece, the inn is welcoming and comfortable, giving you the feeling that you have traveled back in time, but not so far back in time that you can't use the Internet to tell all your friends about it! The surrounding neighborhood is historical and Victorian with a distinct Texas twang. The grounds are pretty, and the gazebo in the back would be a wonderful place for a proposal. It's romance, it's practicality, it's elegance, and it's quiet. I can't wait to go back!

• Stayed July 2009, traveled on business
1 Thank History_Buff1957

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (59)
Florida
Reviewed August 21, 2009

My husband and I spent nine nights at the Oge House in San Antonio. 1) The Location: The Oge House is in the King William Historic District of San Antonio. It is away from the extremely busy and terribly crowded Riverwalk area. The Oge House is in a quiet location backing up to the river. It was just what we were looking for....close enough to get around but not right on the tourist area of Riverwalk. If you want to be right in the middle of the ongoing party, though, you should stay down at Riverwalk. The Oge House is relatively close (2 or 3 blocks) to the trolley system that many people use to get around San Antonio. It is within walking distance (3 or 4 blocks) of a couple of nice restaurants. While there, I looked at a couple of the other B&Bs that I had considered and was really glad that I had chosen the Oge House....others were not in as nice an area. 2) The Amenities: The rooms are of a nice size, beautifully furnished, and well appointed and quiet. The rooms have everything from a hair dryer to a mini refrigerator, to an ironing board. 3) Dining: Breakfast, of course, it is included. We had wonderful breakfasts that catered to my husband's dietary needs....delicious and nicely presented. (On the 2 mornings that the usual innkeeper was not there breakfast was not quite up to snuff.) There is always soda, tea, lemonade, and bottled water available. Homemade cookies are in the cookie jar. 4) Parking: Parking may not seem important but take my word for it...in San Antonio, it is!!! The hotels I checked all charged $25 a day to park and you have to wait for a valet. Parking is included at the Oge House and the lot is on the property right next to the house....a BIG DEAL. 5) Clientele: We had all the bases covered in the 'traveled with' department. Our special needs son was with us the first night and last...he was attending a camp near Austin the remainder of the time. The innkeeper absolutely could not have been more receptive. We had friends meeting us out there for 3 nights and we really enjoyed leisurely breakfasts, visiting in the library, etc. We were all made to feel at home. Lastly, my husband and I had a couple of nights on our own and were perfectly comfortable then, as well. Based on our stay, I would say that the Oge House is well suited to families, small groups of friends, and couples. 6) One last thought: We were in San Antonio during a record hot August. Our room was on the lower level and we were thankful for that...it was delightfully cool. Our friends' room was on the top floor and although the ac ran wide open, their room did not cool as efficiently as ours.
Hope this was helpful and that you have a nice visit to SA. Go to the Guenther House for lunch...it is in the neighborhood.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank BobWFlorida
Midland, TX
Reviewed August 8, 2009

The Oge House is NOT on the Riverwalk. We never saw the Innkeeper. The manager leaves at 5 pm. when I asked about coffee during the night he said they had "steeped" coffee, just as you would steep coffee beans it in a coffee pot. In reality, it was packets of folgers (like teabags) and a purified water cooler that dispenses hot water. It was horrible! they should at least get a pod machine. There were 2 packets on the table, and I asked the manager for extras. although he said he would get more, apparently he forgot.

If you want a house all to yourself, you might want to stay here. There was only one other guest when we were there, whom we never saw. I cannot speak to breakfast, because at 8:15 no one had shown up for work. Breakfast is supposed to be served from 8:30-9:30, and I was anxious for some REAL coffee. No cook, no manager...even though they were supposed to be there at 8 am. We had a long drive, so we ate on the road. Although the written materials said we could have requested an earlier breakfast, we were not given that option at check-in. when we tried to call the front desk later, we received a "do not disturb" message on our phone---amazing!

We were celebrating a 30th anniversary. I picked this B & B based on the decor---big mistake!!!

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple
4 Thank TXKmack
houston
Reviewed August 7, 2009

I must say that our experience at the Oge House was much more than I expected. The staff was wonderful and they made my husband and I feel right at home. The homemade cookies were great! I only hate that I always missed the homemade lemonade. The rooms are beautiful decorated and rich in history. This place gets 5 stars from the Selexman family.

Lago Vista
Reviewed August 3, 2009

We have visited San Antonio and the Riverwalk before, but never thought of it as a bed&breakfast spot, but the Oge House is one of the most charming B&B's we have ever stayed . It is located on the Riverwalk, a pleasant 15 minutes from the shops and restaurants of the the Riverwalk and right in the beautiful and historic King William Destrict. The service was friendly and helpful and it made for a very romantic weekend. We intend to make this annual tradition for us.

Doylestown, PA
Reviewed July 14, 2009

I am a native Texan who has been away for over 20 years. I, along with my boyfriend and my parents spent the 4th of July weekend in San Antonio. It was so nice to be home and among family. Our stay at the Oge was the perfect gathering place! From the moment I booked the trip to the day we checked out the service, rooms and food were magnificent. After being greeted by Megan on arrival we had refreshments, which she provided. The cookies were absolutely delicious! We were in the Mathis room, which is located on the second floor, front right corner of the house. It has access to the lovely front veranda, which we spent many an hour on visitingJ Our room was just simply amazing. The antique furniture found in our room and throughout the home was beautiful. The bed was by far the most comfortable I have ever slept on. We had tickets on Saturday, the 4th, to see the San Antonio Missions play baseball. Megan was wonderful in assisting us with directions. We found the field without any trouble! Sundays breakfast was truly a delight. Megan provided us with plenty of information on things to do in and around the area. Sunday evening we spent relaxing on the front veranda visiting my parents, sister & brother-in-law. This was my boyfriend’s first time in Texas so I was glad I chose the Oge for our stay in San Antonio. We could not have asked for a more beautiful location. Thank you Megan for helping us to enjoy our stay.

1 Thank travelinggirl66
Dallas
Reviewed June 28, 2009

Spent the weekend in the Blenheim Suite at the Oge House, and have nothing but good things to say. Lovely suite on the first floor. Great inkeeper. Attention to detail is evident. Living room, bedroom and bath all with separately controled stereo speakers, two wide screen televisions, independent central air for the suite. Very good linens and towels. All in all, a first class experience and a great value.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple