“Last Hurrah before Operation”

Noble Inns - The Oge House, Inn on the Riverwalk
Ranked #4 of 41 San Antonio B&B and Inns
Reviewed February 8, 2012

This was a return trip to the Oge House. We were impressed with the care that the Nobles gave to the individual guests, both in ammenities and special needs. The three course breakfast was wonderful, with a daily a varied menu, served on crystal and china. My wife and I felt as though we were treated with true "Southern Hospitality". The furnishings were reflective of the period and added to the ombiance. Being right on the riverwalk, gave us the perfect location for sightseeing in San Antonio. Our complimentary parking was right beside the Oge House and was easy access off the freeways. Complimentary refreshments and DVDs were also available. The grounds and gardens gave a relaxed atmosphere to hustle and bustle of San Antonio.

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled as a couple
There are newer reviews for Noble Inns - The Oge House, Inn on the Riverwalk

Reviewed February 2, 2012

Our stay at this Antebellum Neoclassical home was more than wonderful. Considering we reside in San Antonio and can go anywhere, we would choose going back to the Oge House. The feeling of being in a historic home with modern conveniences in the Historic area known as King Williams is a must for locals and out-of- towners. The exquisite setting and decor with the southern hospitality and delicious, unique breakfast Oge House is situated along our beautiful riverwalk. A 10-15 minute walk along the river connects you easily with the main downtown riverwalk area. A short walk takes you to the Alamo and other tourist sites. The entire area can be easily walked or bikes rented to experience the newly developed Mission Reach while enjoying the history and architectural sites from the early settling of San Antonio that surround you. The quietness of the area with the less trafficked quaint streets surrounded with older trees that canopy the area is a haven, even though one is "in" downtown. You are surrounded with outstanding restaurants and shopping. To top off this amazing site the young owners and family members who run this lovely Bed and Breakfast have a personal interest in King Williams and the Oge House. Their lineage and heritage are intertwined with the original land developers and home owners of this historic area! Chatting with them one can learn much about San Antonio and more.

Room Tip: We stayed in the blue "Mathis" room which has its own balcony and overlooks the main entra...
  • Stayed: January 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank th-mhSAT
Reviewed February 2, 2012

I stayed here with some friends from out of town, wanting them to have the San Antonio "experience" - it was fabulous! The house is just beautiful and historic but still very updated with all of the ammenities. The location is easy - we took a short walk down the street to El Mirador for dinner and drinks and didn't need to deal with parking. We only had one meal at The Oge House (breakfast) and it was served in a lovely dining room - the homemade coffee cake was delicious. Service was very friendly and helpful, and I wanted to stay another night, but unfortunately my plans didn't allow for that. I will definitely be back for a longer visit!

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled with friends
Reviewed January 25, 2012

Centrally located, beautifully appointed and helpful staff. Everything I needed for a relaxing stay in San Antonio. It lies immediately adjacent to the famous River Walk, which I was able to use every day: one way into the central area for restaurants and stores, the next time in the other direction to the Blue Star Contemporary Art Center and the Guenther House.

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed December 13, 2011

My husband & I were looking for a place to go for our 1 year wedding anniversary. I saw a Groupon for the Oge House-Inn on the Riverwalk. Neither my husband and I had ever been to a B&B and decided to go to this one. It was fabulous. When we arrived the Inn-keeper, Myghan, was so helpful and friendly. She was so efficient at checking us in and showing us around. She gave us material so we knew how to get around the area and find restaurants. Absolutely GREAT location. Your a 5 to 10 minute walk from all the downtown happenings. The breakfast was delicious!!!! When we checked out they also gave us a booklet for other B&B's across the US & Canada and we look forward to visiting others as well as going back the The Oge House in the Future!!

Room Tip: We stayed in the Newton Mitchell room and thought it was excellent!
  • Stayed: December 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 3, 2011

Catching-up on some reviews, and definitely wanted to touch on the Oge even if his review is coming a year later. I had business to conduct in San Antonio in 2010. So my wife and I thought it would be a great idea to spend the weekend before enjoying the sites before I had to move on to my 'corporate approved properties'. And we had a very good time at the Oge.

I found the location to be perfect, just outside of the hustle of the downtown area but with easy access to the San Antonio river it was all of a 10min walk to get to the heart of San Antonio either along the river or by stroll through the Prince William section of town. The main area of the inn was amazing with it's architecture, and the grounds were very nice as well. The rooms were clean and the Howard Suite on the basement level was generously spacious. The bathroom was fantastic! It appeared to have been recently updated with a very nice jacuzzi tub and stall shower. The tub was great to soak in with a glkass of wine for sure! I will agree that portions were a bit on the small side for breakfast as another reviewer had, but it was good and I enjoyed being served by the 'help' (on that Sunday the son of the keeper was waiting the tables - good values being taught and the lad was a Gentleman).

A few areas the inn could look to improve on... and I gauge this quite a bit by the price and the fact that they're listed in the Select Registry:

- The exterior of the house needs some TLC. At the time I was there, dry rot on the porch required an orange cone as a pedestrian warning, and on the left side of the house some shutters were missing. This doesn't afect the stay, but a grand old house like this should be maintained in all it's splendor. Hopefully these items have been repaired.

- Some individuals have mentioned ants in older reviews. I did experience a a few ants in the hot tub the two times I used it... no big deal for me... it's San Antonio on the ground level. But for someone else it could be a dealbreaker.

- The oppulence of the main hall did not carry into the Castle Howard room in the lower level. Perhaps it was decor, window unit A/Cs, or the fact that it was a basement level room and individuals coming and going seemed so close. I'd also say that for a person that enjoys sitting outside in the evening, I never went for the 'first floor porch'. Essentially it was under the main floor's porch and stairs, and with the Castle Howard's location it was in the path between the parking lot and the other lower level rooms.

So again, overall we had a great stay and enjoyed our time in San Antonio. Knowing what we know now we'd still consider a return to the Inn, but perhaps try a room on the main level. But with that we'd also take the Inn's price into consideration. Oge does not compare with the Albergo Allegria in upstate NY, which is also in the Select Registry and gets rediculously good reviews on TripAdvisor and other sites for an equivalent or lesser price, great breakfasts, cozy rooms and a working fireplace in the Inn's foyer.

Room Tip: Be aware that the first floor rooms are basement rooms. The Howard in particular faces the parking...
  • Stayed: November 2010, traveled as a couple
2  Thank borisow
Reviewed September 10, 2011

I travel to San Antonio at least 4times a year and always stay at the OGE house. It's so pretty! As a married woman traveling on business, I feel safe AND pampered. On the occasions my husband joins me, it's a romantic getaway. I'm always looking for an excuse to come to town.

The property location is great because you're in a neighborhood with small, chef owned restaurants, cool shops, and right on the river. You're away from the noise and lights of the downtown tourists spots, but on the cute tourist bus route. Quick jump to the Alamo and such

Best feature of the Inn? The proprietor, Megan. She is a wealth of info on the area since she grew up here. Goes out of her way to help you settle in and looks after every detail. This property is truly worth the time and money to visit. My favorite room is the Giles because of the private balcony and views

Will be back! Ml