“Celebrating at Marriott Rivercenter and San Antonio Riverwalk!” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of San Antonio Marriott Rivercenter

San Antonio Marriott Rivercenter
Ranked #37 of 353 Hotels in San Antonio
Bixby, Oklahoma
“Celebrating at Marriott Rivercenter and San Antonio Riverwalk!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 18, 2013

We had a nice weekend stay at the Marriott Rivercenter to celebrate our anniversary. I really liked this hotel, and I would recommend it but would provide the following details with the recommendation:

Pros:
Excellent front desk staff. I worked with two different individuals. First, we arrived at Noon, and I inquired if our room was ready already. The gentleman that assisted (I wish I had his name) was extremely helpful and courteous. He even let me know that the extra foam pillows that we requested were already in the room.

Nice common areas. We ate breakfast at the table service restaurant and it was high quality and good, but as typical with a hotel, a little expensive at 20/person for the buffet.

Clean. All parts of the hotel were clean in both public and room areas.

Nice view. We had a nice view of the Rivercenter and Downtown Riverwalk area.

Great location. You don't even have to walk outside to get to the mall and movie theater. It is right on the riverwalk for strolls, and only a few blocks from the Alamo.

Cons:
Pillows. I know this is very subjective, but I cannot get used to the Marriott chain's pillows. And this is not a negative for this hotel, but every Marriott I have encountered. The Marriott Rivercenter even had a catalog of room products that you could purchase for your home. The pillows are $76 each. To each his own, but I'd rather have a $10 Walmart Special pillow if the only options in the world were the WalMart special and Marriott pillow. The down pillows are ok if stacked with a bunch of pillows and preferably with a foam pillow at the very back. Marriott provides 2 down pillows for each person (if 2 people share the bed), and that is simply not adequate. Within 20 minutes my head was on the mattress with both stacked. As noted above, I requested "additional foam pillows" and the front desk was even kind enough to arrange for this to already be in the room. Well, "it" (singular) was in the room. We had one foam pillow. It was my mistake for not calling and requesting at least one more===so this is not reflected in my overall star rating of the otherwise very good hotel.

Slamming doors. This is another problem that I seem to encounter at every Marriott I have stayed. They have a security spring on the doors to make sure they go closed. This is really nice for peace of mind and avoiding break-ins. However, if the person leaving doesn't hold onto the door as it shuts, it slams shut with an enormously loud BANG! Luckily, this time our neighbors went to bed at a reasonable hour, but the constant banging is annoying. I think Marriott needs to figure out a way to muffle the slam sound.

Toilet paper. As usual with my reviews, I am not a fan of the TP at most hotels, and Marriott Rivercenter gets to join the club! Bring your own roll from home if you are picky like me.

Sheets. I thought they were a slightly scratchy. I would encourage Marriott Rivercenter to up the threadcount a bit with their next room rehab.

Overall, I wouldn't hesitate to stay here again, and I would recommend it to friends and family. However, I would encourage you to bring a roll of TP if you don't like Industrial-Kleenex brand (this is what the extra roll was in our room) and ear plugs if you sleep light (due to the doors possibly slamming into all hours of the night). Also request the additional foam pillows and call the front desk if you don't get what you requested (as I should have done.) I was really impressed with the friendliness of every staff member that I encountered. I know had I called that I would have received another foam pillow or two.

Very good stay! 4 stars!

Room Tip: Request a room on the Rivercenter side.
Green Features: The hotel didn't have signs to keep your towel to save on water. I think they should implement this policy. The money saved on the water bill can go to nicer toilet paper and sheets. :)
1 Thank KyleOnThePlane

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (345)
Huntsville, Texas
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 17, 2013

My husband and I have been staying occasionally at this hotel since it first opened 25 years ago. Although it obviously has been updated since then, it desperately needs a facelift at this time. The furniture in our room was so marred and drab. It has become mostly a convention hotel due to its proximity to the convention center. I would only stay here again if I secured a very good rate, as in under $100/night. Our convention rate for this stay was $139 and was not worth that. Valet parking is over $30/night. Self parking is available at about half that price. Do park in their garage and not the River Center Mall parking garage; we have experienced a vehicle break-in in that garage. The hotel's garage seems much more secure. Although I believe the bed linens were clean, the sheets had stains in (at least) two locations.....and I was not pulling back the sheets and looking thoroughly at all--they were just right there looking back at me. The room did have a great LG flat screen TV. The bed was very firm; and unfortunately with most hotels, the room was either too hot or too cold. On the bright side, the staff, including the front desk and the bellmen, could not have been any better. In addition, the location is great, connected to the mall, and just a short walk to the hub of activity on the river walk.

Room Tip: Ask for a recently renovated room with a view of the river
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled on business
Batesville, Arkansas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 17, 2013 via mobile

The hotel is right by the river walk and has easy access to everything. We were there for a convention and this hotel gave us a chance to walk pretty much wherever we wanted. Lobby was really nice and always seemed to have a lot going on. The hotel is super pricy, but you are paying for the location as well as the rooms. Rooms were small, but nice. Would have no problem staying again.

Stayed December 2013, traveled on business
Houston, Texas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 13, 2013

Stay for a weekend (Sunday-Monday) with my significant other 8-9 Dec 2013. Stay was booked using Marriott points. Easy booking done through Marriott website and get instant guaranteed confirmation for King Bed and waitlist for early check-in. A few days prior to stay got e-mail from Marriott Rivercenter for reservation reminder plus advisory regarding increased activity and possibility of traffic around the area - very nice gesture. Mobile check-in is available - got notification the morning of the stay and checked-in thru the mobile app, letting them know we'll be there early and the ETA.
Came earlier than expected but checking in anyway and they have room ready for us. Check-in was very fast and got an upgrade to Concierge level where we have access to breakfast, happy hour and evening snack. Marriott just got themselves another happy loyal customer here.
Location is hard to beat - the back door opens to Rivercenter Mall which provide Riverwalk access and have many shops and eateries. If it's already late and the mall closes, the hotel is only a few blocks away from the Riverwalk and it takes us less than 5 minutes to get back to the hotel. There is Starbucks counter at the lobby level that opens until late.
The room is of medium size - not big but adequate. Bed was comfortable with very nice padding and more than enough pillows. Washbasin outside of bath so we can use bath without blocking washbasin. Bath is good sized and have enough towels. Nice smelling bath amenities - but in-bath rubber mat is not there and have to ask if needed. Large flat screen TV, and in-room safe that can accommodate a large laptop. However we still need to pay additional for wireless internet access. It is only free at the lobby level.
Boyfriend also works for a hotel and mentioned features that stands out compared to other hotels:
- Work desk has a slide-out feature to add work surface - a space safer
- Has connectivity panel on the side of TV cabinet with several electrical receptacle for charging multiple devices and audio-video connections for TV system - very efficient and well-thought of
- Radio clock with music and iPod docking feature
The concierge lounge provides very good hot breakfast - bacon and potatoes, omelette, fruits, bagels and rolls, a small fridge with yogurt, milk, bottled juices, and also starbucks brew. For happy hour they have some hot snacks and fruits; and they serve sweets and cookies for evening dessert.
Check out was quick and they e-mail my statement as per my Marriott account setting. Valet parking was $35 and kind of expensive but this is downtown San Antonio and that seems to be the going rate for large chain hotels in the area.
Altogether service in this hotel was very good, the attendants are very friendly, quick to response to requests and also courteous.
Pros: Location, good service, quirky features in the bedroom.
Cons: Paying for internet access
Room for improvement will be adding a phone line in the bath just in case a call comes in while you're in the bath.

austin
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 13, 2013

The location a great to walk around downtown, also good to catch a street car to other locations. The rooms were nice and clean, but the furniture is starting to show its age. Now is a great time to visit the river walk with all the Christmas decorations.

Room Tip: We were on the 25th floor on the west side. Gives a good view of San Antonio.
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Patrick M, Manager at San Antonio Marriott Rivercenter, responded to this review, December 19, 2013
I’m glad you were able to experience the sights and sounds of the River Walk this time of year, it is truly magical. Please come again soon.
Phoenix, Arizona
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 12, 2013

The hotel is in a great location on the riverwalk, and has all the things you expect from a Marriott - except the service in the lobby restaurants was slow, and the rooms really need to be renovated. I was there for five night in October, and found it to be comfortable and clean. My biggest issue was the slow service in the restaurant. Had it been only once I would have understood, but it happened 4 times! I normally eat where I stay as I do not have the time to travel to another location for breakfast or lunch. Room service was actually better than the service in the restaurant itself.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for your feedback of your recent stay. Please accept my apologies for the service you received while dining in or restaurant. I will pass along your comments to the restaurant manager. Thank you again for your feedback.
Northumberland, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 12, 2013

The Marriott Rivercenter towers over the Riverwalk and Riverwalk Mall and is a landmark to orientate yourself in downtown San Antonio. This is a very large hotel typically geared to convention attendees at the nearby Convention Center. Check in was efficient and the express lifts quicly ascended to the 39th floor. The room was modern with the standard luxurious Marriott bed and a large picture window with panoramic views of the city laid out below. I used the Executive lounge for breakfast and it was pleasant and not too crowded. A very good hotel and recommended if you are attending a conference nearby.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank cdab
Thank you for your review. I’m glad to know you enjoyed your recent stay and hope that you will again be our guest soon. Happy Holidays.