“Great Value”

Ranked #39 of 355 Hotels in San Antonio
Medford, New Jersey
“Great Value”
Reviewed April 4, 2013

We were upgraded to a suite because the room we reserved was already taken. The suite was huge... bar, two TV's, huge bath/shower. Very nice. They even gave us breakfast for two days and a $50.00 gift certificate to the bar.... all because the room reservation was mixed up.
I was impressed... being from Philly, I'm just not used to that kind of friendly service !

Room Tip: This hotel is connected to the RiverWalk which is very convenient. It is also within one block of t...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (357)
Olney, Maryland
Reviewed April 4, 2013

We stayed on the 31st floor overlooking the Riverwalk. We had a great view. Everything was spotless in our room. Very comfortable bed. Only negative was when we called valet for our car, they said they would have it ready in 5 minutes. It took maybe 6 minutes. I can handle that any day.

Room Tip: Concierge level service and choices are excellent
1 Thank TEX2MD
Hot Springs, Arkansas
Reviewed April 3, 2013

Right on the Riverwalk and walkable to all points downtown. Great place if you are attending a convention. It is clean and well run. However, just too large and homogeneous for me to return as just a tourist.

Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed April 2, 2013

I stayed at the MRC to attend a Profesional Conference held downtown. The good: The hotel is conveniently located next to the famous River Walk. Also enjoyed the breakfast buffet at Sazo's. Staff was friendly and helpful...housekeeping could work on promptness though. Not so good: Regular rooms are relatively small compared with my expertience at the nearby Grand Hyatt. Also, the MRC provides no bottled water for its guests. Overall, the Marriott River Center is a Marriott and lives up to the brand.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Charles N
Ottawa, Ontario
Reviewed March 31, 2013

Very large size properety with great friendly service. Very well kept property. The room was spotless. The usual Marriott amenities. Very comfy bed and super view of downtown San Antonio. Connected to the Riverwalk down below, it is the hotel of choice for your stay in San Antonio. I would return there anytime!

Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed March 30, 2013

I have personally stayed over 2000 nights in Marriotts around the world. I am Platinum Premiere and have a fair amount of experience with various Marriott properties. This is one of the worst. Here's why:

1. This is a convention hotel pure and simple. They cater to large conventions and seem indifferent at best with respect to individual hotel guests.

2. I received little or no consideration for my Marriott status. The woman who checked me in told me I was not "eligible" for an upgrade, and although I received a "corner room," it was a far cry from what I typically get at most full-service Marriotts.

3. They claim on the Marriott website that the hotel's pool is heated. That is not true. It is only heated sporadically. Most of the time it is very cold and almost unswimmable. It is also not up to Marriott standards of cleanliness.

4. Maid service at the hotel is poor. During a 4-day stay, our room was not cleaned two of the four days. On the second day of no service, we called and specifically requested that the room be cleaned. When we returned 5 hours later, however, it was not. This is completely unacceptable.

5. The concierge lounge is actually fairly good. Not the best I have ever seen but good.

6. As the coup de grace, I was charged a fee of $10 per box for three boxes I needed to send home at the end of the stay. Package delivery at the hotel was pathetic, and this was just the cherry on the proverbial top of the sundae. Someone at the hotel needs to get a clue that using the in-house UPS store to handle packages is a disaster.

I would not stay here again. It a a bad hotel, clearly is poorly managed and does not deserve the Marriott name.

Room Tip: Find a different hotel.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank MidwestLawyer0331
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed March 25, 2013

We spent 3 nights here. What we liked most was the consistent Marriott standards that one can expect. The location is ideal: it is located on the Riverwalk, but not in the noisy part. The branch of the Riverwalk (a few hundred yards) leads to the hotel but it isn’t congested with noisy tourists and other touristy establishments. We used the valet service and it is highly recommended as it precludes you from driving around to the parking garage. The valet attendants were quick and helpful; I never had to wait more than 5 minutes for the car and the last question was always: Do you need any help with directions? I thought that was nice. The lobby was large and comfortable and it had various areas where one could sit and just enjoy some leisure time drinking coffee. The room itself was very comfortable and spotless. We had breakfast in the restaurant and it was very good, the omelet was done to perfection and I thought the coffee was superb. The staff here is not intrusive and it is always available to help. The only drawback for us was the fact that the restaurant did not have a nice selection of fish on its dinner menu. It was lent and on Friday we fast and eat fish. Other than that it was a great experience. We would come back again and again.

1 Thank azzurri4ever