“Always a pleasant stay.”

San Antonio Marriott Riverwalk
Ranked #43 of 356 Hotels in San Antonio
GreenLeadersSilver level
Roswell, New Mexico
“Always a pleasant stay.”
Reviewed March 7, 2014

The room overlooked the Riverwalk and was convenient to shopping, dining, and the Riverwalk experience. The staff was extremely helpful and accommodating. The only dining for lunch an dinner was in the Greatroom (the lounge) The food was good, but not quite the same as going to a restaurant with atmosphere, but great for lounge food! Our server in the Greatroom was excellent. We went out for Dinner. We were able to walk due to the excellent location of the hotel. There is a restaurant in the hotel for breakfast only, but we did not eat there.
If one wants upscale treatment, a clean, safe and convenient hotel, this is a great choice!

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (396)
Salt Lake City, Utah
Reviewed March 6, 2014

We enjoyed our stay in San Antonio and loved the hotel's proximity to the River Walk and Convention center. However we could hear the street noise with construction early in the morning. Also the room in the early morning hours it sounded as if people were above us doing maintenance with clanging and banging noises...so not the best sleep. The room was very small with limited space but comfortable non the less. Our kids loved the pool and amenities but we were looking forward to sitting in the hot tub which we found is no longer there although it shows in all the maps in the directory in our room. The rooms could definitely use a deep clean and updating. Be careful of the parking we felt like we were parked in the subterranean levels and it smelled and was dark and scary. You can park next door for much cheaper than the Marriott lot.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
minnesota
Reviewed March 2, 2014

My husband & I stayed here for 3 nights. We stayed in room 905. It was a handicap accessible room (the only room with a king bed left). The room was big, but not maintained very well. There were big stains on the carpet. The bed was comfortable. Another downfall was there is no conciaiage. Over the 3 days we asked several staff what questions about the area, making reservations for restaurants, etc. No one was particularly knowledgable of the area, or just not very helpful in general. There is no shuttle service through the hotel.

Also noteworthy, we got a group rate while we were there ($207/night). Our flight got canceled & I called to see about getting another night there (against my better judgement, but the people I was with thought that'd be easiest since we'd already been there). The receptionist told me they couldn't honor the group rate for another high, so we'd be paying $229 for the night. What a joke! For a so-so room, & now it is a Sunday night (which you'd think would be cheaper...). Bad business & customer service.

There is another Marriott right by this one that looked like it was nicer (judging from the lobby we walked through one day). If you're looking for a Marriott I'd give that one a try.

Room Tip: Not sure. We were in room 905, & I certainly wouldn't recommend that one. Friends of ours...
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
1 Thank rachelj5
Patrick M, Manager at San Antonio Marriott Riverwalk, responded to this review, March 4, 2014
Dear Rachelj5
Thank you for your feedback and your insightful comments. I’m sorry to know you didn’t have a very good experience, but you’ll be happy to know that the hotel will undergo a rooms renovation in 2014 for a more modern look. I’m also sorry to know that our staff wasn’t very helpful in giving you local information and making recommendations. On behalf of the entire staff, please accept my sincere apologies. I do hope that you will give us another opportunity to showcase our new rooms but most importantly to provide you the kind of service you have come to expect from Marriott. Thank you again.
Athens, Texas
Reviewed February 28, 2014

I had planned on staying 3 nights at this hotel and ended up checking out after just 1 night. The hotel is beautiful and everyone is very nice...but the room was awful. If you like a hard bed then this is the place for you. I don't expect hotel beds to be like home, but I do expect them to be softer than the floor and this one was awful. It was in February and abnormally warm and we could not get our air conditioner to work which made it very humid in our room. The hotel was packed and I noticed several people complaining about the temperatures in their room. My husband and I decided to walk across the street and move to the La Quinta and it was the best decision we made. free wifi and free breakfast!! can't beat that!

• Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
Thank you for taking the time to post a review of your recent stay. I’m very sorry to know that you were so disappointed with your room you felt it necessary to check out early. I wish you had brought your displeasure with your room to the attention of a manager; we would have happily relocated you to a more suitable room. Please accept my sincere apologies.
Thank you for your time.
Des Moines, Iowa
Reviewed February 19, 2014

My husband and I visited San Antonio in January and stayed at the Marriott. It's important to note that there are the Riverwalk and Rivercenter hotels, which are across the street from each other. The Rivercenter is connected to the small mall. Both appear to be nice properties. As others have mentioned, the Riverwalk is due for a slight upgrade, but overall it was nice and the people were friendly. Service in the restaurant was very good, although beware that the breakfast buffet is a little expensive ($24.99US). It's a good buffet, but if cost is an issue you may want to walk to the Denny's nearby. There is also a Starbucks in the hotel which is super convenient and a nice bar area overlooking the river walk. Another plus - the bed was quite comfortable. I would definitely return to this hotel if I were back in the area.

Room Tip: Ask for one of the higher floors to avoid traffic noise.
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Decatur, Illinois
Reviewed February 15, 2014

Excellent breakfast buffet. Very friendly & helpful staff. Close to the Riverwalk and other tourist sites. Very good meal prepared for our bus tour with private accommodations, waiters and food were excellent. Rooms nice with balconies.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends
Patrick M, Manager at San Antonio Marriott Riverwalk, responded to this review, February 19, 2014
Dear Karel W,
Thank you for your post. I’m pleased you enjoyed your stay. Our great staff and great location is an unbeatable pair. Thank you again and please come again soon.
Danbury, Connecticut, United States
Reviewed February 11, 2014 via mobile

I had a really nice experience at this hotel. During check in the staff was extremely welcoming. When I thought I left my eyeglasses at the reception desk, they went out of their way to try to help me find them. And when the eyeglasses ended up being with me, they were gracious and happy that I found them instead of annoyed that I called and asked them to look for them. These little gestures mean a lot. The room was clean and the bed and pillows fantastic, as I expect from a Marriott Hotel. The location is ideal, right next to the Riverwalk in San Antonio.

Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
Patrick M, Manager at San Antonio Marriott Riverwalk, responded to this review, February 13, 2014
Thank you so much for your post. I’m happy to know all turned out well with your eyeglasses. I know I’d be lost without mine! I hope we have another opportunity to host you brilliantly in the near future.