“Great food in bar area”

San Antonio Marriott Riverwalk
Ranked #43 of 354 Hotels in San Antonio
“Great food in bar area”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 19, 2014 via mobile

I didn't stay here but rather part of a business trip was held here. Instead of running back to my hotel, I ate here multiple nights. Recommend pork bbq sliders as well as soft tacos, both items were $15 and sliders came with fries. Also, place has its own legitimate Starbucks in hotel so got my morning lattes here. You know you are in business or tourist district when Starbucks coffee and sandwiches appear cheap!

Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
1 Thank XelaChivo
Patrick M, Manager at San Antonio Marriott Riverwalk, responded to this review, January 30, 2014
Thank you for posting your review. I’m pleased to know you enjoyed your recent stay and that you had an opportunity to sample some of the great food we have to offer. I hope many more business trips will bring you back to the Marriott Riverwalk.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (375)
Bristol, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 18, 2014

Stayed in a river view room with balcony to watch the Ford Christmas river parade, room was somewhat basic, the consierge lounge crowded and not very comfortable, but unlike some others we found the staff, especially front desk staff, really helpful. The gent who checked us out offered to get a postcard sent for us, would not take anything for stamps etc (we were very pleased when we got back to the UK to find that it had been delivered !).

The location is the main draw.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank philandjanj
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 18, 2014

Hello Ms . Mazpule

I would like to start with letting you know that you have and amazing staff that goes above and beyond for the guests. From checking in last night-valet guy brining my bags to my room because bellhop was supper busy to this morning with front desk experience. I'm a diamond member with Hilton Honors and lately their services needs some training across the country. So I started 2014 with staying at Marriott hotels. I was a little unsatisfied with my room last night. I spoke to Mark, Anthony and Elvis this morning and within 20 mins they had me convince that my choice of 2014 was right. They went above and beyond and had me switch into a better room. And I couldn't ask for better service even the ladies doing house keeping on the 12 floor helping me with my bags. You run a quality hotel and your staff are very friendly. So now I can start my stay and conference on a positive experience.

Room Tip: Riverview view excellent rooms
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
1 Thank Maritza41
Sacramento, California
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 9, 2014

I've always said, the more expensive the hotel, the more they'll nickel and dime you. Sure enough, Marriott's Riverwalk lives up to that. During the past 10 days, I've stayed at a Courtyard in Richardson, a Springhill Suites in San Antonio and now this hotel. By comparison, the Courtyard service was impeccable. Personable, professional and courteous from housekeeping all the way up to the desk. Free wi-fi, free microwave, free in-room fridge. Springhill, not so much. It took more than 5 minutes for the hot water in the shower to actually get hot. When I mentioned this upon checking out, the woman really didn't care and never volunteered either to comp part of my room or extra points. I shouldn't have to ask. At the full-service Marriott, parking is not free as it was at Courtyard or Springhill. Neither is Internet. You'll pay $9.95 per day for regular speed, more for faster wi-fi. Receive a package? $5 service fee. That is, if the UPS store within the hotel is even open. I tried to retrieve a package at 4 p.m. and had to wait nearly 30 minutes while the person returned from break. Eventually a security guard opened it and obtained my package for me. The clerk never did return. I'm a top tier Marriott rewards stayer, yet they put me right next to the elevator. As I write this, I can hear the whine of the car go up and down. I have it marked on my profile that I prefer non-feather pillows. Twice the desk person called asking if I'd received my "amenities." I didn't know what she was talking about and asked her. She said non-feather pillows, and quickly pointed out that I had not requested a feather-free room even though my profile said non-feather pillows. Because she sounded like such a request would really put her out, I told her, "Don't bother. It sounds like too much of an effort." The rooms here need a face lift or at least major freshening. It appears Marriott already has done it to the nearby Rivercenter hotel. I walked through there early this morning. Altogether, I'd rank this hotel mediocre. For the price I would have expected even better service here at the Riverwalk than at the Courtyard, which it hasn't been. The only thing the Riverwalk does have is location. It's right across the street from the convention center. And the hot water in the shower does come on without a 5-minute wait.

Room Tip: Make sure to ask for a room AWAY from the elevator. Breakfast is not included in the price of the ro...
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
Patrick M, Manager at San Antonio Marriott Riverwalk, responded to this review, January 16, 2014
Thank you for your feedback. We take all comments seriously, and I’m sorry you did not enjoy your stay with us. I will be sure to pass along your comments to the appropriate individuals to continue to strive to improve in all aspects. Thank you for your loyalty to Marriott.
San Antonio, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 9, 2014

I stayed in this hotel this past weekend with my two sons, and I must say that we had a great time. All of the staff at the front desk were very friendly when it came in, and were very friendly during every other transaction that we had with them.

We ordered room service on our first night there, dessert only, and it was amazing. The server was super friendly and made the kids really enjoy the room service experience.

The beds were super comfortable, and the room was clean and well equipped. However, the absolute best part of this room was the view from the 26th floor. We were overlooking the Riverwalk and we spent a ton of time on the balcony, despite the cold weather, enjoying San Antonio from a totally different view than we were used to.

I would recommend this hotel to anyone without even a moment of hesitation. It is apparent that the management of this hotel are doing something right. They have an incredibly well trained and friendly staff that obviously care very much about what they are doing.

Room Tip: Pick a higher floor on the river side for amazing views!
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank peakload
Thank you so much for your great review and thank you for letting everyone know of your recent experience at the Marriott Riverwalk Hotel. I’m glad you and your sons were able to enjoy the breathtaking views from our balcony rooms, plus experience brilliant hosting by our staff. We look forward to hosting you brilliantly again!
Houston, Texas
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 9, 2014

What happened to us during our stay at this hotel (San Antonio Marriott Riverwalk, 889 E Riverwalk, S.A. TX 78205) was certainly unpleasant:

The rude front desk person, said to be Elvis, basically ruined our Christmas trip in San Antonio when we tried to check in on Christmas Eve Dec. 24th, 2013. He had a very bad attitude and was extremely impolite. After I had given him ALL the check-in information, he was still trying to insult me. Really, what else do you need after you have gotten the hotel reservation confirmation number (written on the sheet I gave him!), my last name (written on the sheet as well!), my driver's license, and my credit card??? This is totally unprofessional and insulting. And moreover, if you ever talk to this person, you will know how ill-mannered and how bad the attitude he carries. I seriously wanted my money back for those 3 nights. He "questioned" me four times what my name is and 'ordered' me to spell out at the front desk after he had gotten everything in written format. And my last name only contains two letters.... how many times do I have to present my paper, card, number, and spelling will the Marriott people know this two-letter last name? Can any of them read? Can't they just read the confirmation? Can't they read at all? He also yelled at me: "you need to calm down or I can not take your information..." Are you serious? Seriously, I REALLY doubt if he only wanted to insult all the non-white Marriott customers like this. The checking-in experience was certainly the worst I have ever had in my whole life (and I travel a lot for the past 30+ years). Note I observed several times during these days and apparently for White people to check in, he NEVER asked 4 times what their name is. Not even 3 times... sometimes not even once! If it is not racism, what WAS IT? He all in a sudden only knows how to spell and read when facing certain races? Why weren't some of other white customers being asked (or "questioned") so many times about their names? Can any of their last names be shorter than mine??? Exactly what kind of training has he been through? Or he was trained to greet, treat, and insult customers like this? Or is it this Marriott's philosophy? Next time, I will just stick with Hilton, Sheraton, or Grand Hyatt (right across... we stayed at this one just a couple months ago, and the Grand Hyatt people NEVER treated anyone like they did... not racism at the very least!!!). I thought Marriott is an at least 4-star hotel... I might be wrong. I will start thinking differently from now on. You can find out how ill-mannered he is. For example, "what is your name?" "what IS your name?" "I said, what is your name?" "Spell your name" "Is your name **?" "you credit card" "I cannot find your reservation"... I'd suggest the Marriott people try this: "May I ask what your name is, sir?" "Here is your credit card, sir." "Could you spell your name please, sir? Sorry I missed it the previous 3 times when you talked to me." ...(the last one doesn't sound right... but it is still better than their way) So, it took over 10 minutes for me to face this guy in order to check in..very unpleasant. My wife and I were seriously thinking about warning all our friends (and certainly all the online traveling sites and groups): All the people of color, beware of this hotel!!! To be fair, we think the location is fine, the restaurant is good and the pool on the 7th fl is good.

Thank you for reading.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank DRGPL
Patrick M, Manager at San Antonio Marriott Riverwalk, responded to this review, January 22, 2014
Thank you for providing your valuable feedback. We take comments such as yours very seriously and it seems an apology is in order. Please accept my sincere apologies on behalf of the management team. I will make sure more training is made available to ensure no one else experiences what you did.
Elmendorf, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 7, 2014

Very nice hotel on the Riverwalk we had a good view of the river and the Christmas Lights. The room was Clean it had everything you needed. We were on the 22 th floor. the noise level was not that bad for a downtown urban hotel. They even had earplugs for you to use in the nightstand. Yes it's older property but well kept up for it's age. The hotel being right on the river was nice walk out the door onto the riverwalk. Would stay again when needed a hotel in the downtown area.

Room Tip: higher floor get a good view and would be quieter
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Patrick M, Manager at San Antonio Marriott Riverwalk, responded to this review, January 8, 2014
Thank you for your review. I’m happy to know that you enjoyed your stay. You’ll be pleased to know that the hotel will undergo a rooms renovation in 2014 and hopefully have the pleasure to host you again after the renovation.