“Friendly, nice valet”

San Antonio Marriott Riverwalk
Ranked #36 of 357 Hotels in San Antonio
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed September 13, 2013

I recently stayed at the Riverwalk for my birthday weekend. When we arrived the valet, named Henry, was very friendly and helped us through the entire weekend with getting our car in and out. There is construction in the area, but my car was always ready on the driveway after we called down. The room was a little dated, but the AC worked great on a hot weekend. Great location, and the service makes up for an older building. Nice valet drivers.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with friends
RobertRam, Director of Sales at San Antonio Marriott Riverwalk, responded to this reviewResponded September 20, 2013

Thank you for your review. I will pass along your kind comments regarding Henry. He is a great host and I’m glad to know he took great care of you. We look forward to being of service to you the next time you are in San Antonio.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,311)

Reviewed September 12, 2013 via mobile

This hotel is located conveniently across from the convention center & you just go down a flight of stairs & you are on the Riverwalk. It is a few blocks from the Alamo & rivercenter mall. There was no need for me to have a car while I stayed here as all the restaurants & attractions were all within walking distance. I stayed in a king room which had a very comfortable bed & pillows. This hotel is very quiet so no issues with getting sleep. There is a bar downstairs for those who want a drink & dont want to drive. Hotel is very clean.

• Stayed: September 2013

Thank you for posting your great review. I’m very happy to know that you enjoyed your visit to San Antonio and your stay at the Marriott Riverwalk. Yes, our location is very walkable to everything to do while in downtown San Antonio. I hope you will come again soon.

Reviewed September 12, 2013

The location of this is excellent. I was there for a work trip and across the front of the hotel was the convention center (where I needed to be through the day). Walk out the back and you are within the steps of the excitement of the Riverwalk. The Alamo was really close and their was a mall next door. I loved that for my first time in San Antonio I got to be near all the stuff I wanted to see and experience.

The hotel itself was nice, clean, with very friendly staff. That will be my hotel the next time in San Antonio.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business

What a lovely review, thank you so much. I have to agree, the Marriott Riverwalk is perfectly located near all that you’d want to see and do while in San Antonio especially if are experiencing San Antonio for the first time. Our great staff eagerly awaits your next visit.

Reviewed September 8, 2013

Disappointing for a Marriott. The furniture looked dated, the decor tired. We had no problem with traffic noise but then we didn't have a balcony. The aircon was noisy though and kept waking us up the first two nights. There was insufficient drawer or shelf space for our clothes. We had no fridge or mini bar so couldn't keep drinks cold and they only replaced the bottled water the first two days. The bed was reasonably comfortable and the bathroom was clean. The shower is the fixed sort rather than being detachable from the wall. The bath tub was very shallow. No shower gel was supplied and one day they took the partly used bar of soap and didn't replace it. There was only one arm chair.

There was free WiFi in the lobby but the cost in the bedrooms was extortionate.

The lobby was reasonably comfortable but the muzak was annoying.

The hotel shop was the size of a walk-in closet.

We ate in the bar one evening. The sliders were good.

The breakfast buffet was poor and overpriced. The hot selection consisted of crispy bacon, sausages, breakfast potatoes. There were no grilled tomatoes, mushrooms, baked beans or pancakes. Eggs were cooked to order but the chef cooked an omelette as you would a pancake, flipping it over part way through cooking. There were no cold meats, cheese or salad items. Breakfasts chosen from the menu were quite large and better value although there wasn't much on the menu you could actually regard as a healthy start to the day.

The only members of staff who showed any enthusiasm for their jobs were the concierge staff and the maitre d' at breakfast.

The hotel was convenient for the convention centre but I'm not sure I'd stay there again. It was also very expensive.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with friends

Thank you for posting your review. I’m disappointed to hear you didn’t enjoy your stay. I appreciate your comments regarding the clean room and the food in the bar. We are always striving to improve our product and services so I will be sure to pass along all your comments. Thank you again for the opportunity to be of service to you.

Reviewed September 6, 2013

I stayed at the Marriott Riverwalk during the WorldCon convention from 8/29/13 - 9/2/13. We had a regular double-bed room without a balcony. Every hotel anywhere near the convention center was packed tight, and this no doubt led to a strain on all the hotel's systems. Please bear that in mind.

Overall (TL/DR): Friendly staff helped to make up for some oversights and a few problems, but the location couldn't have been better and the hotel was a good value for the money.

The Good:
Comfy beds. Great location (for us, since we were vendors at the convention). Riverwalk access from our hotel, tons of restaurants within walking distance, even some cool attractions (e.g. The Alamo). Excellent customer service, in particular from Vilma Mazpule, the Asst. Front Office Manager. Quiet floors - a must for us - and a nice nighttime view of the city. Housekeeping did a great job. They remembered the rollaway request from 2-3 weeks prior, and it was waiting in the room. We had a problem with our desk phone, and when they fixed it they left little wrapped chocolate hammers as an apology. Nice touch. Everyone that I spoke with was friendly and helpful, making difficult situations (see below) better from the start!

The Bad:
Hotel restaurant was *grotesquely* overpriced for breakfast. The regular buffet (with hot items) had an omelet/egg stand, and it tasted good, but that's not worth a $20 pricetag. Even the cold buffet was $15. If you MUST eat there, order from the ala carte options, which were big enough not to cause sticker shock. We ate there the first morning due to a time crunch, then went to Denny's a block and a half over the rest of the trip.

When we checked in, we weren't informed that the daily "incidentals" rate was $40, or that it would be charged to BOTH of the cards that we were using to pay for the room (rather than $20 per card). Given our tight budget for the weekend, this was a serious issue. To her credit, Vilma was able to rectify the situation quickly, and provided free parking for our stay as a courtesy for the trouble (and at $25/day for 4 days, that's one helluva courtesy!)

The pool at this hotel is cold, small, and - at least when I went for a swim - dirty. It's an indoor/outdoor pool, but there was a plastic sheet that prevented you from going in and out while in the pool. Additionally, the pool is only 3.5' feet deep at its lowest point. There is no hot tub or spa. There is a weight room, and pool and foosball tables(?) in the interior health center area.

The bellman lost my laundry for several hours, though they were diligent about finding it, and making sure it got where it needed to be in time. We also had inconsistent hot water coming out of the COLD tap in the sink, and the shower temp control was touchy, at best.

Summary: I'd stay here again if I was on business and needed to be near the convention, but I'd likely look at the RiverCenter Marriott or other hotels nearby with better gym facilities and a cheaper in-house restaurant first.

Room Tip: There are balcony rooms on the side opposite ours that have good sun in the evenings and would be a...
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled on business

Thank you for posting your review. I’m sorry to hear you had some bad experiences during you stay but I am very glad to know that our staff took great care of you. I will be sure to pass along some of the concerns you mentioned as we are always striving to improve. Thank you, again.

Reviewed September 5, 2013

I came to San Antonio for a conference and stayed in river walk. The location of the hotel is neaby the convention center at easy access.me and my colleagues enjoyed San Antonio
Resturants around the river .the hotel is four star hotel and the service is ok

Room Tip: Ask for the high floor rooms
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed September 5, 2013

Hotel is conveniently located right on the River Walk between the River Center shopping mall and all the restaurants. We stayed here during our mini family vacation to San Antonio. The lobby was very nice and updated but the rooms were pretty dated. I actually expected a little better from the Marriott chain. We are loyal Marriott members and this location didn't meet all my standards. We had a king standard room overlooking the River walk and downtown. We used our points for the room so not sure how much the room rate was but, I wouldn't pay more than $140 a night. Just average..nothing special,if you're just looking for a room for the night.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family