“Good + Bad = Average”

San Antonio Marriott Riverwalk
Ranked #37 of 358 Hotels in San Antonio
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed September 6, 2013

I stayed at the Marriott Riverwalk during the WorldCon convention from 8/29/13 - 9/2/13. We had a regular double-bed room without a balcony. Every hotel anywhere near the convention center was packed tight, and this no doubt led to a strain on all the hotel's systems. Please bear that in mind.

Overall (TL/DR): Friendly staff helped to make up for some oversights and a few problems, but the location couldn't have been better and the hotel was a good value for the money.

The Good:
Comfy beds. Great location (for us, since we were vendors at the convention). Riverwalk access from our hotel, tons of restaurants within walking distance, even some cool attractions (e.g. The Alamo). Excellent customer service, in particular from Vilma Mazpule, the Asst. Front Office Manager. Quiet floors - a must for us - and a nice nighttime view of the city. Housekeeping did a great job. They remembered the rollaway request from 2-3 weeks prior, and it was waiting in the room. We had a problem with our desk phone, and when they fixed it they left little wrapped chocolate hammers as an apology. Nice touch. Everyone that I spoke with was friendly and helpful, making difficult situations (see below) better from the start!

The Bad:
Hotel restaurant was *grotesquely* overpriced for breakfast. The regular buffet (with hot items) had an omelet/egg stand, and it tasted good, but that's not worth a $20 pricetag. Even the cold buffet was $15. If you MUST eat there, order from the ala carte options, which were big enough not to cause sticker shock. We ate there the first morning due to a time crunch, then went to Denny's a block and a half over the rest of the trip.

When we checked in, we weren't informed that the daily "incidentals" rate was $40, or that it would be charged to BOTH of the cards that we were using to pay for the room (rather than $20 per card). Given our tight budget for the weekend, this was a serious issue. To her credit, Vilma was able to rectify the situation quickly, and provided free parking for our stay as a courtesy for the trouble (and at $25/day for 4 days, that's one helluva courtesy!)

The pool at this hotel is cold, small, and - at least when I went for a swim - dirty. It's an indoor/outdoor pool, but there was a plastic sheet that prevented you from going in and out while in the pool. Additionally, the pool is only 3.5' feet deep at its lowest point. There is no hot tub or spa. There is a weight room, and pool and foosball tables(?) in the interior health center area.

The bellman lost my laundry for several hours, though they were diligent about finding it, and making sure it got where it needed to be in time. We also had inconsistent hot water coming out of the COLD tap in the sink, and the shower temp control was touchy, at best.

Summary: I'd stay here again if I was on business and needed to be near the convention, but I'd likely look at the RiverCenter Marriott or other hotels nearby with better gym facilities and a cheaper in-house restaurant first.

Room Tip: There are balcony rooms on the side opposite ours that have good sun in the evenings and would be a...
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled on business
RobertRam, Director of Sales at San Antonio Marriott Riverwalk, responded to this reviewResponded September 20, 2013

Thank you for posting your review. I’m sorry to hear you had some bad experiences during you stay but I am very glad to know that our staff took great care of you. I will be sure to pass along some of the concerns you mentioned as we are always striving to improve. Thank you, again.

Reviewed September 5, 2013

I came to San Antonio for a conference and stayed in river walk. The location of the hotel is neaby the convention center at easy access.me and my colleagues enjoyed San Antonio
Resturants around the river .the hotel is four star hotel and the service is ok

Room Tip: Ask for the high floor rooms
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed September 5, 2013

Hotel is conveniently located right on the River Walk between the River Center shopping mall and all the restaurants. We stayed here during our mini family vacation to San Antonio. The lobby was very nice and updated but the rooms were pretty dated. I actually expected a little better from the Marriott chain. We are loyal Marriott members and this location didn't meet all my standards. We had a king standard room overlooking the River walk and downtown. We used our points for the room so not sure how much the room rate was but, I wouldn't pay more than $140 a night. Just average..nothing special,if you're just looking for a room for the night.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed September 3, 2013 via mobile

What can I say, Marriott has done everything right at this location. We would stay here anytime. The main dining room was open for breakfast, but closed the rest of the time for remodel. The "candy shop" while not very big had a nice selection.

• Stayed: August 2013
Reviewed September 3, 2013

I was here for a convention, so the Riverwalk was between the convention center and the main conference hotel which was the Marriott Rivercenter. I will concur with previous reviewers that the decor could use an upgrade and if you have a balcony room, you can hear the traffic from the street even from the high floors. (I was on the 25th). However, that being said, the rooms were clean and in good repair, I had good & prompt service from housekeeping and the front desk. Since I was at a convention, I really did not notice the traffic noise unless I went to the room to take a break from the conference. I also heard the Pan Flute player too from the room. I am a seasoned traveler, so I keep ear plugs, eye mask with me while I am on the road. I will admit the AC was noisy, very good at covering the traffic noise, it did keep the room cool which was needed since it was in the high 90s & high humidity. I had to admit I loved the view from the balcony. I would sit out in at sunset & in the dark at the end of the day, it was my favorite part of the hotel.

Room Tip: If you want the view, request a room with a balcony on the west side. If you can't stand noise t...
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Carol D
Reviewed September 3, 2013

I stayed the Marriott Riverwalk hotel because it was across from the Convention Center and was not the party hotel for the convention I was attending. Access to hotel from the Interstate was easy although requiring a loop using one way streets. Checkin was quick and my request for a small refrigerator was quickly filled. The room was slightly smaller than I expected but I had a balcony over the famous San Antonio Riverwalk. Access to the Riverwalk was easy but did require a switch in elevators from the upper rooms.

Room Tip: Ask for room on the west side for a good view of the Riverwalk.
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed September 3, 2013

excellent hotel with Riverwalk right out the back door. great restaurant on site for quick breakfast or snack. Convenient to all restaurants on the Riverwalk. within walking distance of the convention center and the Riverwalk Mall, Alamo and night life spots.

Room Tip: within walking distance of convention hall
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business