“Nice Conference Option”

GreenLeadersSilver level
Tulsa, Oklahoma
“Nice Conference Option”
Reviewed November 4, 2012 via mobile

Stayed while attending a conference in the same hotel. It's a nice place and the rooms are nice. It's big and I had trouble in some areas getting phone reception (which is a big deal and several people mentioend it). Overall my stay was nice and I really have no complaints, but... In the conference area, it seems like they skimped on places to sit down and talk to someone. That's part of why you go to a conference is to talk to people, but you either have to go to the lobby or stand... More chairs please...!

Stayed November 2012, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (396)
Carrollton, Texas
Reviewed October 30, 2012

Great location across the street from the conference center and on the river walk. Our king bed had a trench in the middle of it. Maybe time to replace some of the mattresses? Great view down the river walk on the 7th floor. Bellmen are great. Guy that watches for car services is a does not have any listening skills. I was waiting for a car service and wanted to sit inside until they arrived. Rather than listening to me explain what I wanted him to do (for a tip), as soon as he heard car service, he told me to go to the front desk to order a car. Duh ... I already had one. He didn't get a tip.

Room Tip: Ask for river view. Ask if there is a newer mattress.
Arlington, Texas
Reviewed October 27, 2012

I offered my teenaged nephew a weekend driving trip of his choice, He selected San Antonio and wanted to stay at the Riverwalk. So even though I do not stay here I reserved for he and I.
We arrived at a slow time and were greeted warmly. The bell service and checkin were good. Our room was on an upper floor and it seemed the hotel was nearly empty. Yet our request for a balcony room overlooking the river was not honored.
The good things are that the rooms are comfortable, the beds and linens nice, the distance to the Rivercenter Mall with shopping and entertainment is short.
I had forgotten how loud the traffic and people can be in downtown San Antonio. I spent much of the night listening to cars tires squealing and engines being revved.. The next morning (too late), I found the complimentary ear plugs the hotel provides, in the bed stand drawer.
One last thing, Marriott seems to have joined the airlines in nickle and diming you. My one night $169.99 room ended up costing $233+ after the various taxes and the one valet park at $33 before tips.
The stay was OK but for the money my wife and I have found much better nearby.

Room Tip: Rooms on the river side have balconies which are nicer than those on the other side. Look for the ho...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank CrankyOldGuy
Lincoln, Nebraska
Reviewed October 26, 2012

I recently stayed at the Marriott Riverwalk and had a pleasant experience. I was warmly greeted upon my arrival. The gentleman kindly retrieved my bag from the taxi and offered to help me inside. I declined, so he disappeared which was fine.

I had a very quick check-in process. I had reserved a king bed, but was given a room with two doubles. It was fine though as I was travelling alone and two beds actually was nice to have a place to unload all of my things. My room was very clean and nicely stocked. There was a letter on the desk stating it was "cricket season" in San Antonio. I shuttered, but followed the instructions listed. Unfortunately, this made me afraid to use the lovely balcony though. I am pleased to say I didn't have any run-ins with the awful bugs though! The noise level from the streets in the room is horrible! I noticied ear plugs were available, but I can't imagine being able to sleep with them in. One night I didn't sleep well at all because of the noise and one afternoon I tried to get some work done, but was very distracted by the noise again. The hotel should certainly look into fixing this problem.

Each day my room was cleaned fairly well. One complaint is that they didn't replace the ice bucket bag for the first couple of days. It is a minor issue and didn't need addressing.

I would not recommend eating at the restaurant or bar. The menu is very limited and neither of the two items I ordered were good...and of course the prices were through the roof.

Overall, this is a nice property. There are several other very nearby I would probably choose next time as they seemed to offer more in terms of restaurants and riverwalk activities. It was nice being so close to everything though and the staff were all quite friendly.

NYC
Reviewed October 26, 2012

I like the fact that each room has a balcony but the old rusty window sills mean you hear a lot of noise from the street. You constantly hear the traffic even as high as 28th floor. The walls also seem thin and heard next room guest cough, talk, open windows etc... To the hotel's credit they provide ear plugs in the bed side table. Service is good but I'd recommend Rivercenter next door for more comfortable room.

1 Thank akiraoz
Naples, FL
Reviewed October 18, 2012

I attended a conference in late September, held at this hotel.

Pros: The staff were excellent, the property well maintained, the room clean and comfortable. I shared a room with a colleague, and the room was spacious enough that we did not feel cramped. The food service in the dining hall was good - not great, but good. The staff very accommodating. The central location of the hotel right on the riverwalk is one of the best features. I recommend this hotel, and will stay there again if I ever return to San Antonio.

Cons: The elevators were often very slow to respond, although they move quickly once you get in them. Our room on the 19th floor was overlooking the pool area and a large roof. Surprising amount of traffic noise.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Dallas, Texas
Reviewed October 12, 2012

I did not stay at this hotel but my business associates did so after a very long day, we met here for dinner. Unfortunately the restaurant is not open for dinner and we had to eat in the bar. Even more unfortunately, it was Monday night so we had a bar full of fairly rowdy football fans. The service was terrible but the food wasn't bad. Just can't imagine a hotel right next to the convention center doesn't have a real restaurant for dinner, especially when a very large conference is underway across the street.

1 Thank Friscotravelers