“Nice enough Marriott but room cost is ridiculous”

San Antonio Marriott Riverwalk
Ranked #42 of 358 Hotels in San Antonio
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed April 23, 2011

Stayed for business meeting -- cheapest room was $240 per night for a very average, small room. Nothing fancy about the room or the service in this hotel. We were exhibiting in Marriott's proprety directly across the street, Marriott River Center. The street had construction and made it difficult to transverse back and forth between hotels. During our meeting, we could not hear speakers well on the first day due to the jackhammering on the street. It was awful. This is a convention hotel, pure and simple. I would not choose it for a special occasion or for leisure travel.

Room Tip: None were available.
There are newer reviews for San Antonio Marriott Riverwalk

Reviewed April 21, 2011

If staying for a convention in San Antonio, it's hard to figure out which Marriott is which. The Riverwalk is across the street from the Convention Center on one side and the mall on the other side. It's sister hotel is attached to the mall with a busy downtown street separating them. It was odd at check-in to have people be told to go across the street to stay.

The positives: they let me check in at 10 a.m. for the day, which was really nice of them. Also, when I went looking for a banana (which is very hard to find in downtown San Antonio!), the restaurant manager just gave me one--I didn't have to pay. There was a nice straight-back reading chair in the room. Nice new flatscreen TV. Starbucks in the lobby.

The negatives: the bathroom was not completely clean. There were at least six dark hairs in the bathtub, another 6 on the floor, dirt smudges on the door and blow dryer. The room's rug has a hole/rip in it. High speed internet costs $13 extra a day--that's right, $13 extra and you're kind of stuck paying it. The bed has all this padding (along with a padded sheet) that hotels seem to think customers want when all I need is a normal matresses. I had asked for a fridge but didn't get one. The bottled water in the room costs $3.50 for a liter (walk across to the mall and go outside near the Alamo to buy bottled water at the pharmacy for half that price). Limited TV channels (like many hotels). Very noisy halls. Their guest services directory seemed incomplete.

Room Tip: Ask for extras when making the reservation
Reviewed April 16, 2011

we were very disappointed with our room and the hotel in general. the location was the only 5star quality. our room was "tired", needed carpet cleaning , the balcony was filthy and the traffic noise in our room was unbelievable. we upgraded to have a balcony overlooking the riverwalk, which actually added insult to injury as we paid more to have these "amenities".
there are nicer places to stay for the same amount of money....

Reviewed April 13, 2011

We are staying at the Mariott Riverwalk since it is the host hotel for a convention that we are attending.

We checked in last night and although we had reserved a king-bed room, were given a handicapped-accessible room with two double beds. The gentleman at the front desk last night assured us that we would be switched to a king-bed room today, at noon.

When we returned to the hotel at our lunch break around noon, we were told that there were no rooms available. When we told the young woman at the front desk that the gentleman from the night before had told us there would be, she suddenly was able to find a room, but it wouldn't be ready until 2 or 3 pm.

We then returned to the hotel during our afternoon break at 2:30, hoping to finally change rooms, and were told by the same young woman that the room now wouldn't be available until 4 pm. Really? If this is indeed the case, I am unsure why we weren't told 4 pm initially. I can't wait to hear what she has to say when we return shortly.

Not once have we heard "I'm sorry", or anything remotely similar. Rather, it seems as though we are inconveniencing her. We're not asking for an upgrade, just for the room that we reserved, and paid for, months ago.

I'm extremely disappointed in the way we have been treated thus far and expect more from Mariott. This is a hotel that claims to be a 4-star hotel and yet treats its guests in this manner.

We travel extensively, and can assure you that if our travels bring us back to San Antonio in the future, we will not be giving this hotel our business again and will be thinking seriously about staying at any Mariott again. We will be sure to tell our friends to steer clear of this hotel as well.

Shame on us for not doing our research on trip advisor prior to booking.

• Stayed: April 2011
Reviewed April 5, 2011

I stayed here for a conference at the convention centre and the location was excellent. The room is standard upmarket hotel fare with no outstanding features.The riverwalk makes it easy to get out to restaurants, the convention centre, shopping and the Alamo is just around the corner.
A few down sides. Despite the ubiquitous message about keeping your towel and saving the environment I found that my towels were changed daily despite my best efforts and complaints to the management. Also, although I had a high room (29th floor overlooking riverwalk) the traffic noise was very loud even with all the windows closed. There was also an odd mechanical clacking noise throughout the night in the room which I could not identify but was annoying. It was not the aircon or fan as I turned these off. Lastly internet in the room costs extra and there is no wireless in room and as I had only brought my ipad I couldnt connect to the cable version. Interestingly from my balcony I found I could connect to the city wifi for around $12 a day though there was no reception in the room. Wireless in the lobby was free but a little slow so no good for VOIP calls.
Overall I would say look at other hotels nearby along the riverwalk as the walk is quite nice and so next time I would probably look for a better value hotel with free in room internet and walk 5 minutes to the convention centre.

Room Tip: 29 floor facing the riverwalk gives you a view
Reviewed March 9, 2011

The room was clean and comfortable and the lounge was very inviting. The hotel however sits at a dead end of the Riverwalk that is inconvenient to access the more interesting areas. It is however close to the Convention Center if that is your destination.

It is not that far, but I find the Hilton and Omni to be much more convenient.

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled solo
Reviewed January 24, 2011

Very friendly! Everyone in the staff was very helpful and the rooms were very clean and a great view of the riverwalk. If and when I go back to San Antonio this is the only place I would ever stay. I never used the room service because the riverwalk had so many places to eat at. Overall I would like to say THANK YOU to all the staff that works there.

Great Job Everyone & Thanks for making it pleasent a stay at your hotel.

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled as a couple
MarioJBass, Director of Sales at San Antonio Marriott Riverwalk, responded to this reviewResponded January 31, 2011

Thank you so much for your recent stay with us! We are thrilled to hear of your enjoyable experience at our hotel! We look forward to serving you on a future stay here in San Antonio! All the best!

Mario J. Bass