“Convenient to Lackland” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #130 of 353 Hotels in San Antonio
Warren, Michigan
“Convenient to Lackland”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 2, 2008

This was a decent hotel in not the best of neighborhoods, but all-in-all it was a quite satisfactory stay. I had booked the room for my son's Air Force basic training graduation and booked early at a hefty $120 something/night. I checked later and found a lower price of $80 something/night and rebooked for the lower rate.

We spent five nights here and found the room clean, comfortable and cool. The room was also very quiet with the A/C masking any outside noise. Breakfast was good, saving at least $10 per person per day compared to eating at a restaurant. The breakfast was also open early at 6 or 6:30 am making it useful to fit in with early morning graduation events.

This seems to be the closest hotel to Lackland so I rate it high for convenience. All the staff members I spoke with were very friendly and helpful. Housekeeping did a great job with our room, too.

Would I stay here again if I was planning on a vacation in San Antonio? Probably not. Would I stay here again if I was going back to Lackland? Absolutely!

• Liked — Convenience to Lackland AFB, quiet, breakfast
  • Disliked — Neighborhood
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (56)
Houston, Texas
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 23, 2008

I knew we were in trouble when we drove up - lots of construction, base traffic, check-cashing services, doughnut shopes and migrant workers hanging out at the convenience stores, waiting for work or whatever. Immediately got that sinking feeling like why didn't I research the area a little better? Oh well, couldn't do anything about it as we had a gift certificate.

It's not that the hotel was that bad....sure lots of potholes and trash in the back, but we were in a new truck, pulling a trailer with our Harley on it and we could only pray that it would still be there in the morning. Sure, we looked out the window several times during the night. (It survived!) The hotel was fairly clean but I did empty my can of Lysol everywhere before we unpacked. The bathtub had seen better days in a previous life and you just got the feeling that the sink area really wasn't clean.

The staff was young and obviously inexperienced in customer service and we did bring this to the manager's attention. The breakfast was ok, actually had the waffle batter that LQ is known for, but let's face it....it's only a matter of time until the health department pulls the plug on that. Think about what could get into your batter while it is sitting in paper cups out on the counter. Oh no, let's don't think about it.

Probably great place for families of military in for graduation, etc., but as for me and my loved ones, we will not return anywhere near this part of San Antonio.

• Liked — Leaving for our next destination
  • Disliked — Scary, uncomfortable feeling of the neighborhood.
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled on business
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
Eugene
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 4, 2008

We found the La Quinta Inn at Lackland to be the perfect place to stay while attending Air Force Basic Training Graduation. The room was simple, but had all the ammenities. It was clean and COOL! My teenagers really enjoyed the pool. And . . . the price was right - - very economical!

Housekeeping did a nice job each day and when we had a plumbing problem (our fault . . .), a maintenance person was there and had it fixed in just minutes. Front desk personnel were helpful and courteous.

The breakfast was more than sufficient with waffles, cereal, yogurt, muffins, toast, fruits, juice and coffee. The only problem we found was that the eating area in the lobby was very full (and hot) during breakfast time and it was better to get our food and eat in our nice cool room.

The place is very close to the entry points of the Base . . . just turn right out of the driveway and you're almost there! (Not walking distance, however.) It couldn't have been more convenient - - it meant less money spent on gas, less travel time getting to and from the base, and for me . . . less time driving around lost. Ultimately, it allowed us to spend a little more time with our son.

I'd recommend the place to anyone and will likely stay there again if my youngest son follows his big brother's footsteps and joins the Air Force. Thanks La Quinta Inn Lackland! tsc

• Liked — The price and the location
  • Disliked — No shuttle service
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled with family
Pleasant View, TN
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 8, 2008

My son graduated from Air Force Basic Military Training in April 2008 and this hotel was on the list that I received in a packet of information from him soon after reporting for duty. The travel agency that the Air Force has available for family and freinds to use has a contract with several hotels but this was one of the closed to the base. I made the reservation through the travel agency then followed up with the hotel directly to get additional information. They were very helpful and courtious when I called asking questions. When we arrived at almost 11 pm the room was ready with the micro-fridge and baby crib that we had requested. Being two women traveling with a small child they were even able to accommodate our request to be near the front lobby!

This is a modest hotel that provided us with a clean room and breakfast every morning. It isn't a suite at a resort but it was well worth the money. I would suggest this hotel to anyone on a budget... especially those families that want to be close to the base so that they can have access to them throughout the day.

Air Force Mom from Tennessee

• Stayed April 2008, traveled with family
in
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 3, 2008

This hotel and area is the example of getting what you paid for. This is a good hotel for the budget minded person who just wants to be close to Lackland AFB. If you are the person who doesn't care about appearances, as long as something gets the job done, then this will be fine. Actually, the room was clean (Sunday housekeeping left something to be desired, but the rest of the time was great), the beds were new and comfortable, the breakfast is as advertised, and the hotel staff was helpful and friendly. In comparison to the pricier hotels, we had 2 double beds, a tv, telephone, bathroom (shower and toilet were in a different room than the sinks which was nice). The area is not the best SA has to offer. Go NORTH, not south except to the base. You are within 5 minutes of a rough neighborhood, but we were safe. Again, "You get what you pay for" You will pay around 70/night (oh, get a Sam's Club membership--nice discount). If you want a nicer neighborhood and a 4 star hotel, then you will pay double. We were satisfied--it was just a place to sleep.

• Liked — Low cost and close to Lackland. We were able to take our son back to base in 5 minutes without getting lost.
  • Disliked — If I were vacationing, I would want a better neighborhood.
  • Stayed December 2007, traveled with family
Pearland, Texas
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 3, 2008

We chose this hotel because it was about 5 minutes away from Sea World. The drive to Sea World and back each day was fine. So, the location was good for us. The hotel is old with no updates. The room was basic but clean. The breakfast was good with the waffles each morning. However, other than waffles there were only a few muffins and apples set out. Not much to eat but the waffles filled us up before we went to Sea World each day. We spent three nights here. We ended up going to Sea World several times over the summer, staying three nights each times. We did not go back to this hotel. It was $99/night. I do like the La Quinta chain. We stayed at other La Quintas in San Antonio for our return trips. I would recommend finding another hotel. There are plenty of good deals if you look through the travel sites. LaQuinta's website also has weekend deals that are great.

• Liked — close to Sea World
  • Disliked — no updates, not much for breakfast, not good enough for the price they charge
  • Stayed May 2007, traveled with family
1 Thank Erin29
va beach
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 14, 2007

after all the reviews i read, i was afraid to stay there, but the stay was decent. This particular la quinta was undergoing a remodel. my room was updated, it had a king size bed, contemporary leather recliner, fresh paint and new hip carpet.

my room was 152 which is only two doors down from the new fitness room and laundry center.

my room was spotless and housekeeping was great at keeping it that way. the only thing that needed some cleaning attention was the bathroom vent above the toliet and the air conditioner.

staff was nice and honored my wake up call request. Breakfast was good, love the homemade waffles. breakfast area was clean at all 3 days that i stayed. breakfast attendant was out about every ten minutes cleaning and refilling breakfast items. now seating for breakfast is a bit on the small side so be prepared.

i would stay there again.

• Liked — updated room and breakfast
  • Disliked — needs vent cleaning
  • Stayed November 2007, traveled solo