“Overwhelmed by a large conference!”

La Quinta Inn & Suites San Antonio Riverwalk
Ranked #56 of 358 Hotels in San Antonio
Reviewed August 27, 2011

Despite being the conference hotel it appeared overwhelmed by the recent conference I attended. Rooms were still not made up at 4pm, towels had to be asked for, cleaning the room was reduced to making the bed. Not really satisfactory given the price. It is very conveniently located but dont stay here if you are attending a large conference. The Crockett across the road is cheaper, cleaner and has a better buffet breakfast!

• Stayed: August 2011
1  Thank Brunobeans

Reviewed August 20, 2011

Although they have comfortable beds and good breakfast, I have to down grade them on something very important. The first night I woke up to a very hot room, several times. The thermostat was set to 70 but it wasn't cooling. I would check it, wash my face and go back to bed and feel a bit cooler. I reported it the next morning yet when I checked it at lunch break it was hot. The maintenance man came and told me the thermostat had a motion sensor...no movement in room, no AC! He disabled it and allowed me to control the unit at the window. I told my 10 traveling companions so we had them hopping that evening! One lady had to change rooms because her lights would not stay on! So, 110 degrees in day, 100 at night with that kind of AC is NOT my idea of comfort. Additionally, 3 years ago I drove 7 hours to attend a convention, and even this hotel confirmed my reservation three times in the three months before the conference, including the day before. I got there at 5 in the afternoon and was told I didn't have a room. They said I indeed had a reservation, but no, I did not have a room. They offered to put me up 10 miles away but I had family with me and only one car so I refused and turned around and drove the 7 hours home, vowing to never go back. I had a state rate, my room was given to someone paying full price. Unfortunately my company likes us to use this hotel, but I will just avoid going altogether.

Room Tip: Ask to have motion sensor on HVAC disabled!
  • Stayed: July 2011, traveled on business
3  Thank TravelGal2012
Reviewed August 17, 2011

I have had to stay at this hotel 5 or 6 times for conventions I attend in San Antonio. The location is fabulous and close to the convention center, the Riverwalk, restaurants, the mall, and anything you could want to do. The parking is not free or covered and is often full, but once you get parked you might not ever have to go back to your car.
Now I have never been there for anything but a convention, so I don't know what it is like to check in under normal circumstances, but they have no ability to check in a crowd. I have waited up to 9 hours and never less than 4 to get my room. Once, after 4 or 5 hours, they started coming around with little cups of water to the crowd of over 100 people waiting to get into a room. They have a bar in the hotel and offered no complimentary drink coupons or any recourse for the problem. They really need to fix the check in situation.
Once you (finally) get checked in the hotel is decent. I did get a dirty room once (hairs in the sink and tub) and they quickly sent someone to fix it. The floors and beds seem fairly clean. They offer a great breakfast, but very crowded when a convention is in town.

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled on business
1  Thank Jackie D
Reviewed August 8, 2011

I stayed here with my son while working at the Dallas Cowboys training camp. The first thing you notice is that this is not your typical La Quinta. It's a 15-story facility, has a lounge downstairs, and they offer a full breakfast.

The location is excellent. It's easy to access from the interstate, and it's across the street from the Riverwalk. There's a large parking lot out front. Parking is expensive at $18.95 a night for self parking. There is a Denny's in the parking lot.

The pool area is large and nicely maintained. The hot tub was working and there were plenty of towels and loungers.

Housekeeping was excellent. Room was in perfect condition. There was a little noise in the hallway from a yapping dog and people arriving from the Riverwalk at 2AM, but it was the weekend and the hotel was full.

One thing to note is that on the weekends this hotel is very busy. If you stay here during the summer on the weekend, be prepared for that. If you do eat breakfast, go early as it is nearly impossibly crowded around 9AM. I give the staff a lot of credit for keeping the buffet stocked, but it was hard from them to keep up with the lines of people. And there were often long waits for the elevators.

I would recommend this hotel to any family looking for an economical route to visit the Riverwalk for a few days.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled on business
1  Thank agchris96
Reviewed August 7, 2011

I really cannot rave enough about this hotel. For the first time in my life everything was perfect in regards to lodging, and I am generally a very critical person.

We stayed a week in July for a family vacation in San Antonio. From arriving to leaving everything was great. It seems this hotel was designed by travelers for travelers. The staff is incredibly helpful!!! I will give the staff 10 stars and an oustanding rating! To this day I am still absolutely amazed by the quality of their staff. While on vacation the small things can be so important and nobody wants to get upset or stressed and I definitely needed 1 week of stress free life away from my Restaurant. La Quinta has examined all those small things and finely tuned them to your needs, adding up to a very nice experience whether business travelling or vacationing.

The manager really deserves a commendation as the staff is top notch - very friendly helpfull staff. The beds and matresses are heaven - more comfortable then my beds at home and I really got a nice restfull sleep every night. There is even a very clever master light switch at the head of the bed to switch off all the rooms lights at night.

Run out of toothpaste or razors? Ask at the desk and they will give you free bathroom amenities - I had a blister needed popping - they had a small sewing kit for me. Need directions somewhere? They will print out a map and show you exactly where it is! We were going to Sea World but woudn't have a ride back to the hotel. One of the men at the front desk printed out a map and the complete time table for the city bus. We caught it smoothly back home for only $10 for the 4 of us saving us around $60!

After a long hot day of touring the city, and after dinner my kids like to jump in the pool to cool down. The pool hours say it closes after 10pm, however if the pool attendant see's people in the pool having fun he lets you stay as late as you want to. I came down at 11pm once and there were still alot of people out there on Saturday). Most hotels will kick you out at the exact closing time and lock the gates. Not at La Quinta.

Running out of clean clothes after a long stay at the hotel? No problem! There are washing machines on the second floor. Our maid must be commended also. My kids left a fairly decent mess in the room everyday and we would come home to a nice clean room in the afternoon - somehow one of my sons left about $50 in bills and change in bed and when we got back to the hotel all that money was neatly arranged on the desk.

Breakfast in the morning is very good and the lines aren't too bad for late risers like us. Although it's the same every day considering it is free there are no complaints.. As a parent I realize how nice it is to get breakfast over within 20 minutes and how it helps you to get a nice quick start to your day.
My children loved making their own Texas waffles everyday with the waffle machines they have.

Our initial reservations were only for 3 days - we had planned on going to Corpus Christie but my dad cancelled the trip - There was a big convention coming in town and at first it appeared we would have to change rooms on saturday - yet once again they showed what a caring staff they are and let us keep our room. The day before we were leaving our flight was cancelled and I was not sure if we could get the suite for another day but after 6 days at the hotel I confidently went to the front desk and of course their answer was "No problem sir"

Even our last day in San Antonio was made so much better thanks to La Quinta and staff. I needed to print out boarding passes and sure enough they have a computer room with printer (unlike other hotels that dont provide a printer) - and when you log off the computer it has a special program that erases all browsing history etc - nice! Our flight wasn't till 6pm so I asked for a late check out at the desk and they let us check out at 2pm - (even though we had one of the suites which was obviously going to be used that day with a 3pm check in) Even on the way out the hotel they showed what a first class hotel this place is - I had made reservations with an airport shuttle which was going to cost $18 per person. Since we had so much luggage I didn't think a taxi would work, but the guy out front of the hotel suggested we get a Ford Explorer type taxi from the line out by Dennys and it would only be $25 to the airport. Not being from San Antonio I thought it would cost $70 to the airport so once again the staff's help was very appreciated. We cancelled the Shuttle and just took a nice relatively cheap air conditioned cab to the airport.

We have stayed at La Quinta Convention center before for a few days and without hesitation will stay here again on future vacations to San Antonio.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled with family
2  Thank RangMX
Reviewed July 28, 2011

This is a convention hotel that books lots (and lots and lots) of singles into multiple rooms. This is particularly troublesome in February for the TMEA convention. I don't care if they have 4 people in a room -- but when it means 4 cars in their insufficient parking lot it becomes everybody's problem. Incidentally, this is not free parking, it rums upwards of $15 daily.
I cannot count the number of times i've driven into the lot and found no parking spots -- NONE. I have been offered the valet service without additional charge, but when you have personal items in your vehicle that's not a comfortable option.
The hotel itself seems quite well run. The rooms are clean and everything works, the breakfast buffet is crowded but reasonable. Hotel management says the parking is a concession and they have no control -- but since they collect the dollars, I believe they should take responsibility. I did write to the property about my bad experience, and got an unsatisfactory response.
I cannot comfortably recommend this property at this time.

But, hey, it might be ok if you take a cab from the airport!

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled on business
1  Thank AAirman
Reviewed July 12, 2011

This is my second time staying in this hotel. Pretty nice. The customer service on the front desk was great. They were super friendly and recommended some places to eat after arriving after 8 pm. They were quick to inform me of the free breakfast and wireless internet....which was a plus. The room was very spacious and had very nice linen. Room was equipped with microwave and fridge. Which was also nice since it was 100 degrees outside. The bathroom was very large. I could have done a cartwheel inside without hitting anything. The only downfall were the towels. They were clean and early in their usage were probably think but they were worn and probably could have been replaced. No liquid soap....I hate bar soap. The toliet did back up one day but the Maintenace man came quickly and fixed the problem. The view from my window wasn't the best. I saw the Denny's sign but they did have room darkening window panels. The airconditioning worked well. TV channels were fine. Breakfast was the typical breakfast with waffles (shaped as Texas), sausage, eggs, pastries, bread, yogurt. Two types of juice and milk. It was fine. The ladies in the Kitchen were very pleasant and helpful. They also provided a newspaper everyday so it was nice. I know they have a pool but I did not use it while I was there.

The location of the hotel is nice enough. There is a big Denny's in front of the hotel. Right next door is a mall. You can get there in about 20 steps from the front door. Opposite of the mall is the Riverwalk so the location of the hotel is in a prime spot.

I would definitely stay here again. For the price, it was well worth the money. I even signed up to be a Rewards member.

Room Tip: Plan early
  • Stayed: July 2011, traveled on business